PDA

View Full Version : Help! Ubuntu Edgy Works. What Have I Done Wrong?

BLTicklemonster
November 3rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
I messed something up somewhere. Had to have. Yeah, a couple of glitches I caused getting it all right, but now it works like a champ. I can't handle this. Isn't there some terminal command or something? sudo apt-get install humanfactor or something?

MetalMusicAddict
November 3rd, 2006, 10:13 PM
I messed something up somewhere. Had to have. Yeah, a couple of glitches I caused getting it all right, but now it works like a champ. I can't handle this. Isn't there some terminal command or something? sudo apt-get install humanfactor or something?

Yeah. Thats a common n00b mistake. Use Automatix. That will fix your problem. ;)

Tipo
November 3rd, 2006, 10:39 PM
YOU'RE NOT ALONE! ;)

My edgy is running beautifully :)

.t.
November 3rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
Just bring on Feisty, kicking and screaming as it is forced into the cramped space inside my laptop.

Mimsy
November 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
That thread title had me giggle for minutes. My coworkers, who used to think I'm crazy, are now convinced I am. :)

/Mimsy

Miguel
November 3rd, 2006, 11:37 PM
I can tell you what is wrong. You have no Tcl-Tk app installed. Install it and look at the small non-bold fonts. See the difference? Bug closed :mrgreen:.

Now, seriously, a fresh edgy (beta) install (had some trouble with Arch, which I will retry later) has been a mostly painless ride. I do have some glitches, like the Tcl-Tk applications' fonts, firefox and gnome-terminal fonts (solved after browsing malone), and most important, a regression. Now suspend to ram doesn't work, while it did a few weeks ago. Safe this one thing, I must admit I was expecting something much bumpier. IMHO, dapper's first weeks were bumpier (although it work really well now).

BLTicklemonster
November 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Within an hour of posting that, I had an update....

After tediously working away at getting edgy to accept nvidia drivers after my update, I have not been able to get anything working in anything but vesa. When I compare estimated time for fixing things versus fresh install, I come to the conclusion that a fresh install will be less time consuming.

So ah.... yeah, this original problem I had corrected itself with no user intervention.

BUT THE FUNNY THING IS: you just gotta love windows. (vmware, actually, I suppose) I have xp on vmware server, and for the life of me, no matter how I shut it down, whenever I boot, I can hear the windows startup sound in the background, then when shutting down, I hear windows shut down. So imagine the laugh I got when presented with ubuntu refusing to startx, and there I am at the prompt, when I here the windows start sound... wtf!!! wait!!! take me with you!!! lmao.

So if someone finally figures out how to make a virus infect linux, they can just make it not allow x to start, and just work away in the background where it can't be seen and do whatever it wants? Total yikes, dude.