PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss most about Ubuntu?

dizzy1234
November 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for a little over a year and I've just got a new machine from a certain company with a certain operating system that isn't Linux. I've had to do this because there's some software which I need to use which... you know the rest.

Anyhoo, I was installing the basics on my new machine (Firefox, etc.) and it occurred to me that I really, really miss having Synaptic do the work for me. Seems a bit of a step backwards to have to find the stuff, download it, run the installer rather than just have a nice piece of software do it for me.

What do you miss about Ubuntu when you're forced to use something else?

EdThaSlayer
November 3rd, 2006, 04:20 PM
The part about Synaptic Package Manager is what I would miss.
I would also miss the GNOME interface, since I like it so much. Everything will look so inefficient in other (desktop)graphic user interfaces.In Windows you have to go to start->programs-> and look for your program through your giant list while in GNOME(and KDE I guess) all you have to do is go to Applications->The section the program is in(Video for ex)->a quick glance and you have located your desired program! Or easier-just type the program name in the terminal!!

MedivhX
November 3rd, 2006, 04:25 PM
I'd miss Synaptic, Automatix and probably something else too but I can't remember now.

pichalsi
November 3rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Definitely AmaroK, command line (apt-get, apt-search mostly :)), and these forums that solve all the problems.

midwinter
November 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
I always miss the basic window manager features of openbox and others, ranging from multiple desktops (basic necessity), to being able to shade windows on mousewheel up/down, tiling, right click menu, etc. Just seemingly basic functions that I do hundreds of times a day on Linux that make using Windows completely intolerable.

zAo
November 3rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
I always miss the basic window manager features of openbox and others, ranging from multiple desktops (basic necessity), to being able to shade windows on mousewheel up/down, tiling, right click menu, etc. Just seemingly basic functions that I do hundreds of times a day on Linux that make using Windows completely intolerable.
I second that. I use Mac OSX now but I really miss that.

23meg
November 3rd, 2006, 04:56 PM
I miss bash and the ability to get as deep under the hood as one wants to fix or customize something.

lazyart
November 3rd, 2006, 05:00 PM
It's probably the command line. It's something that takes getting used to but you realize how quick it really is. Alt-F2 just doesn't work in Windows.

When I first started using Ubuntu I tried making act as much like Windows as I could. Now I find myself wishing I could make my Windows more like Ubuntu. :)

Ramses de Norre
November 3rd, 2006, 05:04 PM
I'd miss the command line and the ability to locate and change anything you like.

SunnyRabbiera
November 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
Whever I am at work I have to do windows most of the time.
What I miss there is to customize my computer, even with my boss not caring if I dress up my desktop a bit Windows is very limited on customization.
I also miss synaptic when I have to install a new program on one of my secondary computers (I have three computers here) Downlaod.com is okay but Synaptic runs circles around it.
I also miss Konquest, one of the few KDE games I play (I am thankful I can use it on ubuntu)

jefuchs
November 3rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
I don't even understand the delimma. For $60 you can get a big hard drive and have two operating systems on the same machine. I know, you can do it on one hard drive, but I like the extra storage.

If you miss it that much, you should keep it, and boot to Windows when you really have to.

cmorgan47
November 3rd, 2006, 05:32 PM
at work, where i code on windows machines, i miss a decent terminal/command line. cygwin is nice, but not quite the same.

when converting people, apt-get/synaptic is the one i pitch as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

lazyart
November 3rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
OP mentioned being forced to go to Windows on her work machine...

daynah
November 3rd, 2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I also have to use windows at work. I gotta use Macromedia Contribute. I know, I know, don't get me started on the fact that I've made websites for years and I could code infinately better, cleaner, and more compatible websites. Just more past that and accept the fact that I have to use Contribute. I've accepted my bondage.

Oddly enough, what I miss most is... the little calendar in the corner. You would think it'd be something bigger than that right? You would? But everytime someone asks me what time it is I glance over at the screen and stare in confusion, "Why is the time not there?" and then I scroll over and stare blankly, "Why is the day not there?" Yes, I realize I can tell Windows to do these things. That's the funny part. That I do this EVERY TIME! And then, when I actually do need to figure out the date.... I go seeking through the computer... "The date... oh dear... where is the date?" It's a trip watching me do this.

I also miss having my programs organized in the "start menu." I get a migraine every time I have to open that and see the mess that is there. Yuck!

Oh, and, like everyone mentioned synaptic = <3. Especially on a rainy day. "ooh... what does this do!"

AndyCooll
November 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
I too am required to use ******* at work, 2000 and XP in my case (with Outlook, Office, IE etc).

When at work I miss just about everything, and can't wait to get home and get back on my favoured OS. I've been using Linux for just over a year and I find I'm now far more comfortable using Linux than *******.

At work we have some Unix and Linux servers so I can at least keep some familiarity. I also have portable FF, oOo, GIMP, Gaim, VLC and PuTTY on a memory stick and I use these when working on an XP desktop.

As I said, I miss practically everything from the command line, multiple desktops and Tomboy through to Synaptic, virtual terminals and XDMCP.

:cool:

happy-and-lost
November 3rd, 2006, 09:03 PM
I miss being a supreme geek.

Seriosuly, I go to an all-girls school, so most people there can barely use Windows. Even the IT techie has no idea how to use my laptop :D