PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu sucks according to slashdot?

lex1
November 3rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/28/239258

i guess when five /6/7 guys go to some hotel for a week or less with one guy on irc and try to thrash out any remaining problems it does not work no matter who much money is in the bank. Its down to testing and retesting like debian sarge for example

klytu
November 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/28/239258

Hmm, the article does not say Ubuntu sucks. It states that upgrading to Edgy from Dapper is buggy (via distribution upgrade?), but that a fresh install of Edgy is OK.

Circus-Killer
November 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM
i dont entirely disagree with the article, although i have had no problems. my problem with that article is that the person who wrote that article didnt do any research. the only thing he has is a couple of threads from our forums.

now stop and think for a bit. when was the last time you posted something that went well. like when did you last post "HELP! the installation went perfectly!". of course the forums are gonna be full of problematic questions, thats what its there for.

so for the writer of the article to only state the forums as his source for his article, well thats just sad. the author couldnt even bother to try do an install or upgrade himself.

note to author: put the shoes on before you complain that they're uncomfortable.

Ecthelion
November 3rd, 2006, 02:07 PM
note to author: put the shoes on before you complain that they're uncomfortable.

I've gotta write that one down.

I completely agree.

lex1
November 3rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
yes you may well be correct.
For a newbie to linux ubuntu rocks no doubt about that.

Its just when you try to go into production things go wrong or for me anyway.

if you look at all , or 99% of people offering virtual space with linux on Xen or the other sofware i just but my head to the name, no sign of ubuntu its all debian sarge centos anf fedora4 etc

taurus
November 3rd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Move to Cafe...

nbound
November 3rd, 2006, 02:28 PM
Hmm, the article does not say Ubuntu sucks. It states that upgrading to Edgy from Dapper is buggy (via distribution upgrade?), but that a fresh install of Edgy is OK.
This is the reason why i Fresh Install every release :D... u can always rely on it :p

EdThaSlayer
November 3rd, 2006, 03:01 PM
:D Nice topic, that almost made me hate slashdot. They only said the upggrade was very buggy, and I don't disagree with that since many people have been having problems. :-k But Edgy is just something experimental you know? They wanted to try out all of these fancy things on Edgy and on F-something they will make it stable.

MedivhX
November 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM
F-something is Feisty Fawn (I had to say this)

maagimies
November 3rd, 2006, 03:06 PM
People sure are touchy about Ubuntu :)
"Your OS may be less than perfect."
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
:-k

MedivhX
November 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
People sure are touchy about Ubuntu :)
"Your OS may be less than perfect."
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
:-k

Yeah. You're right. They start spitting on it, and don't even think about Windows' buggyness...

spinflick
November 3rd, 2006, 03:16 PM
I dont see a problem with the article. it is only stating what people already know :)

ComplexNumber
November 3rd, 2006, 03:43 PM
i wouldn't say ubuntu "sucks", but it is vastly overrated and groundlessly overhyped.
after countless attempts, ubuntu has either crashed during install, failed to pick up my wireless with and without ndiswrapper, failed to allow me to access the repos, and is severely lacking in admin tools.

B0rsuk
November 3rd, 2006, 06:06 PM
i dont entirely disagree with the article, although i have had no problems. my problem with that article is that the person who wrote that article didnt do any research. the only thing he has is a couple of threads from our forums.

I'll tell you something. I'm still using Dapper, so I didn't even uprade to Edgy.

Ubuntu broke my dpkg. I can't install anything anymore, not via Adept, not apt-get, nothing. 'Unexpected error occured' and that's it. This happened to me like 2 days ago. And I didn't even try anything funny, all I did was merely upgrading available packages.

der_joachim
November 3rd, 2006, 06:19 PM

One of the running gags at slashdot is that people are commenting on everything without bothering to read TFA (whereby the T stands for "The" and A for "Article". I'll leave the F up to the reader). Maybe the editors were being consistent with their audience? ;)

To be honest, they did read these forums and they actually wrote something themselves.

darkhatter
November 3rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Thats only one person's opinon...

nickle
November 3rd, 2006, 07:45 PM
the article seems reasonable to me

graigsmith
November 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM
i had problems with upgrading.

DoctorMO
November 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Ubuntu is a collection of software, it's like saying 'The Air sucks because it contains too much CO2! Air is bad!" rather dull and doesn't solve anything.

B0rsuk, you need to report a bug to the apt developers

ComplexNumber, you need to pay for or petition developers to develop your drivers for your wireless card, you need to stop using cheap CDs to burn the iso and pay those developers to make those admin tools you require.

Ubuntu and GNU/Linux isn't always a free lunch.

Zeroangel
November 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Ubuntu is overhyped, and far from perfect, but that doesn't mean it 'sucks' by objective standards. If you are getting an OS for free, you shouldn't expect it to work exactly as perfectly as an OS that you're paying money for (that a dedicated team can fix), without some effort on your part.

No linux distribution will work perfectly with every hardware config. As an example, I had Mandriva installed on one of my computers at work, and the thing was verry flaky while it worked perfectly on my home computer. I later installed Ubuntu on both and both of them worked flawlessly, but yet it seems others are having hardware related problems, so its obviously not so flawless after all when it comes to hardware.

He (some slashdot guy) has a good point though, and its good to balance out the hype this distro is recieving; but his criteria for judgement is still incorrect.

ComplexNumber
November 3rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
ComplexNumber, you need to pay for or petition developers to develop your drivers for your wireless card, you need to stop using cheap CDs to burn the iso and pay those developers to make those admin tools you require.the problem was with ubuntu, not the disks. i have tried the 3 seperate ubuntu disks that were on the cover of Linux Format (ie breezy, dapper on its own, and dapper ubuntu + kubuntu + xbuntu). there was nothing wrong with the disks.
i'm not likely to do any such thing concerning the admin tools. i'm just going to keep using a distro that works (ie fedora) until ubuntu gives me as much as 1 reason to use it above all others.

Circus-Killer
November 3rd, 2006, 08:30 PM
the problem was with ubuntu, not the disks. i have tried the 3 seperate ubuntu disks that were on the cover of Linux Format (ie breezy, dapper on its own, and dapper ubuntu + kubuntu + xbuntu). there was nothing wrong with the disks.
i'm not likely to do any such thing concerning the admin tools. i'm just going to keep using a distro that works (ie fedora) until ubuntu gives me as much as 1 reason to use it above all others.

well, thats the beauty of having the choice of distributions. use what works for you.

Bigbluecat
November 3rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
For me the article reads like a typical tabloid hype piece. Pick a few quotes - "nightmare" etc. Link it to something currently popular or hyped like Ubuntu and use it to drive up traffic.

OK. I have not tried Edgy yet. Decided to wait a while and watch the forums. Have seen the cries for help so may do a fresh install on a new partition while keeping Dapper.

And I am new to Linux. Chose Ubuntu first and it has been pretty good.

May try a few other distros at some point.

It's my choice. That is the point.

Didn't like the article. Lack of objectivity. Shameless emotional puff piece. Nuff said.

Just my opinion.

AlphaMack
November 4th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Edgy irked me enough to go back to Dapper, but it certainly wasn't a 'nightmare.'