PDA

View Full Version : vote for ubuntu linux

theorem_hunter
November 3rd, 2006, 12:40 PM
hi all

i would like to see how many people would like to buy a Ubuntu pc from a retail shop, with everything setup just like with windows. so you turn on the pc for the 1st time & everything is configured & working properly for you, you can just get on with life & use the pc.

because i believe that if i had to buy a pc that had hardware that was fully supported by Linux (the Linux drivers) then life would be good.

im pretty convinced that everything you can do in windows you can do just as well or even better in Linux (obviously when hardware drivers are not a issue)

im actually surprised that there is no one selling pre-built up Ubuntu pc's or if they are, im just not hearing about it

so if there is anyone who feels the same way i do then please reply to this post

thanks

Ramses de Norre
November 3rd, 2006, 12:47 PM
I would like it too, because when you buy such a pc you're sure that all your hardware will work.

And there are vendors who sell pre-installed ubuntu pc's (system76 for example) but the problem is that vendors get all kind of things from microsoft (I'm not sure what exactly) if they install windows already in the factory so most vendors just get their pc's with windows already installed.

And people also know too little about linux, most of them are a bit scared for the unknown OS..

raqball
November 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM
System 76 sells pre-confugured Linux PC's...

I have several friends with OLD pc's that I have put ubuntu on, but yes, I agree, it would be awesome to have one built with Ubuntu, or Linux in mind :)

mo79
November 3rd, 2006, 12:54 PM
It'd be just as cool if you could buy hard drives with the Ubuntu installer on them (I believe Linspire do/did that), so you just install the drive and when it boots away you go.

Ramses de Norre
November 3rd, 2006, 01:08 PM
It'd be just as cool if you could buy hard drives with the Ubuntu installer on them (I believe Linspire do/did that), so you just install the drive and when it boots away you go.

This existed, it was an external drive with ubuntu installed.
I can't find it no more on google though, it was a company who did this back in the breezy days.

theorem_hunter
November 3rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
thanks for pointing me to the system 76 site, ill show more people

my uncle just scrapped all his windows xp stuff & bought the new mac that can run ms office.

i showed him Ubuntu & told him it can do everything that windows or mac can do. he wanted proof, so i asked him what he mainly does @ the office.

he said that he mostly uses excel & power point

so i showed him the open office alternatives. he saw that all the main functions he uses in excel are there & thats all he wanted to see.

my point here is that most people could care less which operating system they run. most people don't even know what a operating system is or which one they are running.
to most people all they want to do is there work & move on, which i think is mainly, browse the net, send emails, chat on msn or some other IM network & use tools in open office like writer & calc.
then the luxury side, listen to music (mp3's) watch videos/movies & DVD's & send stuff to there iPods

you definitely don't need to pay a huge ms windows fee just to get that done

Kieranties
November 3rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
I concur!

I have convinced my housemates to switch to ubuntu and they are having a whale of a time!

I did as you did, simply asked them what they used there computer for and showed them the alternatives. None of them are xp power users, they just do what they have to do.

Also, I saved one of them from shelling out £400 for a new pc :)

EdThaSlayer
November 3rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
If only this was true. Then Linux would be widely known. At my school hardly anyone has heard of linux while 100% of them know what M$ Windows XP is.

weatherman
November 3rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
personally I'd prefer a system with no os, I don't like the idea that others configure stuff for me. But yeah, more ubuntu preinstalled and less windows would be great.

theorem_hunter
November 3rd, 2006, 04:26 PM
we need to find a way to advertise Linux to more people.

the 1st time i ever heard of Linux was in 2nd year university. a computer science lecturer kept going on about how powerful Linux was, he then showed us a 3D fighter jet simulation program he had on his Suse laptop. i never knew @ that time that Linux could do 3D stuff, so i borrowed Suse 9.1 from the university.

@ 1st i was like... hmmm what a mission 5cd's. i did my 1st install on a old pc... & i was sold just by the nice GUI installer. for starts that was better than xp's installer. & the 5cd's were worth it. i installed everything even thou i used almost none of the advanced packages.

i then tried out fedora & a whole lot of other distros, but came to the conclusion...

Ubuntu has most of what you need on that 1 install cd
its the simplest to use
& most importantly... its the easiest distro to get community help/support for

justifier
November 3rd, 2006, 05:09 PM
i do make + sell computers with linux on them, just people allways want xp :(, i do try tho

gatekeeper
November 3rd, 2006, 08:19 PM
There are various companies that sell linux pre-installed this is just one of them: http://system76.com/

Found very easily by just doing a bit of googling.