PDA

View Full Version : Custom GUI development

Velvet Karuda Leopard
November 3rd, 2006, 06:29 AM
Hey there. I have Dapper Drake and plan on getting Edgy Eft very soon. I will get Feisty Fawn when it comes out. I want to develop a 3-dimensional GUI for Ubuntu. I am currently in Computer Science classes here at school. I would like to learn, from experienced Linux developers possibly, how to impliment a GUI for Linux. I do want to attempt to develop a 3-dimensional interactive. I realize it may be difficult, but if I have learned anything from my CSC classes, it is that you can do almost anything, even cybergodly stuff, you want with the software. If anyone has any info, I would be most appreciative. Thanks for your time.

gerowen
November 3rd, 2006, 09:46 AM
I don't know much about it, so I'm not sure if it's open source, but if it is I suggest looking at XGL. It's a 3-D desktop environment that a lot of Linux users are using nowadays. I've taught myself a lot by looking at something somebody else has already done and seeing how they did what they did, it's how I learned html. There are lots of videos of it on YouTube, probably too many, lol. Anyway, look at its source code and see how it works, and if you can get a rough idea of what it does, then you can create your own environment. I'm not telling you to steal their code, I'm just saying that looking at an existing product might help you understand exactly what your program needs to be capable of doing. I would offer to help, but I'm only a beginning programmer. I'm getting pretty decent in python, but I'm still learning that, and I don't consider html a programming language, lol.

Tomosaur
November 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
You don't necessarily need XGL to achieve this. There are already 3d GUIs available for linux, although granted, they are applications, not an actual environment to work in. Some are in the repos already. I would suggest you have a look around, find one you like, and then work on improving it to incorporate the elements you want.

Velvet Karuda Leopard
November 4th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Hmmm. I will look at these options. I would like for my project to be a true environment if possible, but I can be happy with an app at the least. I have heard alot about OpenGL being a possibility as well, even an Ada flavor. Would OpenGL be a good route. What should I look under in the repos for these 3D GUIs? Thanks very much for your help.