PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Flash Player 9 for PPC versions Linux — Adobe needs to hear from YOU!

Deacon Nikolai
November 3rd, 2006, 05:36 AM
Flash Player 9 Beta is now available for Linux, but not for the Power (PPC) architecture that many Linux users use. Fortunately, Adobe offers a ‘feature request’ form. I ask each and every one of you to submit your request for Flash for PPC Linux in order to showcase the strength of our user base with enthusiasm for PPC Linux, especially with the upcoming Sony PlayStation 3 that will have a powerful version of Linux on the PPC/Cell platform.

Kai Staats of Terra Soft Solutions, Inc. got this ball started rolling here: http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-announce/2006-October/000129.html and now all users of Linux should help out those using Linux on PPC (rather than Intel or AMD) like old Apple Macintosh Computers and request Adobe Flash Player for PPC and Cell versions of (Formerly Macromedia) Adobe Flash.

loren95404
November 9th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Although an old thread, I'll dig it up because it's important.

I sent adobe an email the other day because I actually care about their company! Go Figure.

Anyways, It came back to me twice, and I think the third time it got to them, but only their sales email. Can anyone PM me their email?

We need Flash Player support for AMD64 and PPC would be wonderful too for my friends Playstation3 Computer.

Christmas
November 9th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I'm not a PPC owner, however I'm willing to see improvements for Linux on any architecture. So... what should I put in the last field, the "Feature Request" one?

DC@DR
November 9th, 2006, 11:08 PM
And the OS Version, on the link it is YDL 5.0, should we say Ubuntu PPC smth? And the feature request also, again on that link, it is for PlayStation 3 and Yellow Dog Linux v5.0....Should we have the specific form for Ubuntu?

basketcase
November 10th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I hope I'm not asking something that has been asked/answered in another thread, but why is Adobe lacking support for PPC and Linux variants?

I can sort of understand the lack of support for Linux, but for PPC, that seems like a bad move on their part.

I used to like all the sites when they went away from Windows Media player and started using flash movie player, but now I wish they'd go back, as I cannot visit most video sites as I don't have the latest version of flash on my linux box.

Just my .02 cents

Polygon
November 10th, 2006, 01:07 AM
this shouldent be that hard to do for adobe as they do have the ppc version of mac os x that they still have to develop for...

Ubunted
November 10th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Don't want to be the negative one here, but I don't see Adobe developing Flash for a dying (albeit still widely used) platform.

Rhapsody
November 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I went to the suggestions page, and found that all of the text on it was white (my system text colour) on white backgrounds. Oops. So I break out Stylish. I don't think it will be hard.

How could I possibly be so wrong.

I have no idea what Adobe's website coders are on, but I want some of this. Here is just a few of their crimes.

382 almost blank lines at the start of the page (before even the doctype declaration), filled with random indents and spaces.
Mixed-case tags on an XHTML page (mixed-case is only accepted in SGML, not XML).
Even more lines filled with indents and spaces (these fill up around 80% of the page code).
CSS file after CSS file after CSS file (trying to figure out which file does what is nearly impossible).
JavaScript coding that has (and I'm not joking here) "doJunkStuff(this);" as a function.

After an hour of going through this, trying to figure out what the hell the coders were thinking, I gave up entirely.

Anyone can do bad coding, but to really foul things up requires the time and resources that only a multinational corporation can provide.

xyz
November 10th, 2006, 01:40 PM
All done!

funkyade
November 10th, 2006, 01:54 PM
May be 'old' news...

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200611/110706Mozilla.html

imho PPC is not a dying platform just because Apple decided to move over to Intel. Apple only had about 10% of the PPC market...