PDA

View Full Version : More ubuntu users on the way

TheRingmaster
November 3rd, 2006, 04:01 AM
just look at what microsoft is going to do!

Vista changes lock out antivirus makers (http://windowssecrets.com/comp/061023)

viper
November 3rd, 2006, 04:17 AM
Let em, the more the merrier i say.

Polygon
November 3rd, 2006, 05:06 AM
its really interestering this issue

microsoft is trying to make windows more secure, because obviously the first thing you think about windows is one big security hole right?

so they basically creating a policy that only windows itself (the os) can really touch the kernel

but since programs sometimes need to access the core operating system (perfect example: anti virus programs) all those programs get the shaft

so ms is in a bit of a pickle right now, have the kernel be open for any program to do anything for it or lock it out completly and then have the possibility of programs like anti virus programs being less effective?

Senak^2
November 3rd, 2006, 05:38 AM
Sometimes it seems that Microsoft starts with making the OS pretty and user friendly... then works on the security. XD I say that they should just ditch Windows and start over, since each new version is still plagued by the same problems. But that's just some food for thought.

More people switching to Linux? Cool, I just wish more people were aware that it existed.

d3v1ant_0n3
November 3rd, 2006, 06:11 AM
I find it kind of funny that the 2 companies that are kicking up the biggest fuss are makers of AV software I wouldn't let NEAR Windows Xp;)

DirtDawg
November 3rd, 2006, 06:35 AM
It looks to me like the AV companies have built their entire business model around Window's flaws. Now that Microsoft actually wants to fix those flaws, the AV companies are threatening to sue with anti-trust laws unless they get their slice of the pie.

The AV companies can argue that, by making Windows secure, Microsoft is only allowing customers to use Microsoft security products. It's a pretty lame arguement, but it could be a killer legal argument. And after all the trouble MS has gotten into over anti-trust issues, I bet they're skittish about dealing with this in court (especially if their lawyers went over it and said "yeah we're pretty much screwed").

In the end, the real losers are the end users, which is too bad.