PDA

View Full Version : Desktop theme challenge

Kieranties
November 2nd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Yup it's really that simple, the story goes like this;

I live in a house with a bunch of people (5) who simply hate windows, none of them are uber computer users in any aspect. They simply use their computers for chatting, music films and web browsing and the odd document processing.

I have been trying for a while to get them to do "the" switch, and at long last three of them have agreed. So far so good. Here in is where the "problem" lies

All three of them do not like the interface that gnome or kde offers. After explaining that you can modify it to the nth degree, I then fell flat on my face when I realised I had never done this before myself ](*,)

So my challenge is this:

I would like themes developed (ideally for gnome for ease) which offer clarity and access to programs, along with an appeal that makes you want to use the computer. They can be as complicated or as simple as you like.

Naturally I am going to have a go at this myself. The results shall be posted up here.

I am thinking that if there is enough interest I may even offer a prize of sorts!

Any links to good theme sites would also be highly appreciated! :mrgreen:

Dr. Nick
November 2nd, 2006, 09:18 PM
Check this out
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=290088

That is the desktop screenshot thread for this month, If you look you may be able to find other months ones aswell.

good place just to see a large variety of setups, If you like one you could probably ask the poster for a few tips on how they set it all up.

(http://www.gnome-look.org/) http://www.gnome-look.org/
has some themes

FreakinSyco
November 2nd, 2006, 10:55 PM
I highly recomend gnome-look. Try looking into Vista copy themes. They do a very very good job of immatating Vista.

Cynical
November 2nd, 2006, 11:09 PM
Mine is already in the october desktop thread but to make it easier for you here it is. Also attached a shot with usp so they can see how customizable it is. I can't imagine using menus to find applications again. If they are interested in this type of desktop I can post easy to follow instructions on how to customize it to this degree. Of course there are so many ways to make your desktop look, this is just the one that I prefer, if they want to ask about having transparent panels or maybe some more specific eye candy let us know!

Kieranties
November 3rd, 2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

I have a bit of free time tonight, so I shall be having a bash at setting up with beryl as well. (installed this morning, but not configured)

@Cynical: That is one fine looking desktop you have yourself there. What are you using for the menu system?!?

I think eye candy may be a push too much for them at the mo, but im all in!

I have a radeon 9550 (256mb) (for now...) and after installing beryl this morn things slowed down a bit. But I'll configure it when I get home this evening. Maybe i'll have something to show for my efforts by tommorow. I really like this one (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=48112)

:::and sorry for being a n00b and not seeing the stickied thread d'oh:::

Cynical
November 3rd, 2006, 09:11 PM
I'm using the Ubuntu System Panel. The project has its own subforum here. There are lots of plugins for it. When USP2 comes out we'll have even more options.

Brunellus
November 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
Yup it's really that simple, the story goes like this;

I live in a house with a bunch of people (5) who simply hate windows, none of them are uber computer users in any aspect. They simply use their computers for chatting, music films and web browsing and the odd document processing.

I have been trying for a while to get them to do "the" switch, and at long last three of them have agreed. So far so good. Here in is where the "problem" lies

All three of them do not like the interface that gnome or kde offers. After explaining that you can modify it to the nth degree, I then fell flat on my face when I realised I had never done this before myself ](*,)

So my challenge is this:

I would like themes developed (ideally for gnome for ease) which offer clarity and access to programs, along with an appeal that makes you want to use the computer. They can be as complicated or as simple as you like.

Naturally I am going to have a go at this myself. The results shall be posted up here.

I am thinking that if there is enough interest I may even offer a prize of sorts!

Any links to good theme sites would also be highly appreciated! :mrgreen:
I'll take a green phosphorous video terminal and the bash prompt.

roderikk
November 3rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
If you really want ease of install you might also try to do:

sudo aptitude install blubuntu-look

Just a thought.

Kieranties
November 4th, 2006, 11:20 AM
If you really want ease of install you might also try to do:

sudo aptitude install blubuntu-look

Just a thought.

Legend!
That pleased all of them for the time being. I am still playing around with mine.

3rdalbum
November 4th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I use the Wii theme, available from Gnome-Look. Even a hardened dark-desktop cynic like myself couldn't resist its futuristic charms!

Stew2
November 4th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I use the Wii theme, available from Gnome-Look. Even a hardened dark-desktop cynic like myself couldn't resist its futuristic charms!

Hi 3rdalbum. Could you post a link to the Wii theme, I would like to have a look at it but I couldnt find it. Thanx! :D

Regards,
Stew2

Edit: Found it! I'm not too good at navigating gnomelook sometimes. Thanks anyway :)

GStubbs43
November 4th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Edit: Nevermind.

Kieranties
November 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Cheers for the info and ideas guys. I have just posted my look over here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=290088&page=10)

Let me know what you think!