PDA

View Full Version : May I "Ship it" twice?

xyz
November 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone,
Would having some more Dapper Cds shipped to me be considered "abuse"? I had 5 CDs shipped already months ago.

Edgy won't be shipped and so I'd need maybe 5 or 10 more Cds to share with people I know around here.
What do you think about that? Thanks for your advice.

jpeddicord
November 2nd, 2006, 12:56 PM
You can try, but it will most likely get denied. I tried the same thing. :rolleyes:

hellmet
November 2nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
i have had tonnes of cds to my house using different email IDs..
U can use the same Email ID only for different versions..
If u want more cds register with a different email ID..
This mite be considered cheating.. but I had no go..
I am happy in the end.. I distributed so many cds..
my frens are happy too..
I even started a community "Get Ubuntu"

amo-ej1
November 2nd, 2006, 03:19 PM
*sigh*, i also ran out of dapper cd's so i asked for some more but it also got denied :'(

MedivhX
November 2nd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Well, you can burn it if you have CD/DVD burner...

IYY
November 2nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
It used to be ok, but people started abusing this. I think that soon enough, there will be no more free CDs :(

Or maybe they'll just send them out to official LUGs to distribute...

MedivhX
November 2nd, 2006, 08:59 PM
No they will send it to LoCo's.

.t.
November 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
I'm hijacking this thread to ask a question. Get on your knees, step away from the controls, and put your hands on your head (not in the air)...

Now that's sorted, (I mean it, don't move...): Do you think curiosity would kill the cat? If I left discs around school, would people pick them up and use them?

David Corrales
November 2nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
I think burning copies is a good way to help. CDR's are cheap nowadays.

Bragador
November 2nd, 2006, 10:32 PM
No they wouldn't.

If you let them at the computer club that my work though.

Don't forget most people don't even understand what windows is so if you leave linux cds here and there people won't understand what the hell they are.

.t.
November 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
No they wouldn't.

If you let them at the computer club that my work though.

Don't forget most people don't even understand what windows is so if you leave linux cds here and there people won't understand what the hell they are.
Note that I do go to a grammar school.

xyz
November 3rd, 2006, 12:09 PM
jacobmp92:

You can try, but it will most likely get denied. I tried the same thing.
That's mostly what I thought; normal isn't it?

hellmet:

my frens are happy too..
I even started a community "Get Ubuntu"
I wouldn't do it that way but the end result is great!

IYY:

It used to be ok, but people started abusing this. I think that soon enough, there will be no more free CDs
That's exactly what I didn't want to do and I tend to agree with you that there'll soon no more freebies!

.t.:

If I left discs around school, would people pick them up and use them?
I was planning to target folks I'd pass a CD on to!

David Corrales:

I think burning copies is a good way to help. CDR's are cheap nowadays.
Quite right and I'll probably end up doing just that. I was hoping to be able to get 5 more CDs mostly because of the nice cover that comes with them!

Thanks for having taken the time to respond. I guess I won't try and "Ship it" twice!

jpeddicord
November 3rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
my frens are happy too..
I even started a community "Get Ubuntu"I don't really think this is right; you are cheating the system. If you want a lot of CDs, be up-front and honest about why you need them, and there is a good chance you can get some.

miceagol
November 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM
If you want a lot of CDs, be up-front and honest about why you need them, and there is a good chance you can get some.

I think this is the way I'll do it. I just got a bunch of 10 CD's (my first order), but it's not really enough. I'm a computer lab assistant at my faculty, and we need more for our 5 labs. Every day there's lots of people using the labs, and the Ubuntu CD's have proven to be of interest to people, and that is very good publicity for Ubuntu. ;)

Do you think this will go through as an argument if do a special order of 50 more CD's?

xyz
November 4th, 2006, 10:33 AM
If you want a lot of CDs, be up-front and honest about why you need them, and there is a good chance you can get some.

I'm not sure about this but if I remember right, there's no way to leave a comment when we order CDs?
What I mean is how can I argue that "it's for a good cause" and that I really don't mean to abuse of something I'm so appreciative of 'as is'?

Ecthelion
November 4th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I've requested ... and again ... and they are coming

* 10 CDs requested in 2006-05-20. 10 CDs approved and sent to the shipping company in 2006-05-24. Please note requests usually take from 4 to 6 weeks to deliver, depending on the country of shipping.
* 10 CDs requested in 2006-09-12. This request was not approved, so no CDs were shipped.
* 10 CDs requested in 2006-10-26. 10 CDs approved and sent to the shipping company in 2006-11-01. Please note requests usually take from 4 to 6 weeks to deliver, depending on the country of shipping.

So no need to make multiple ID's
Doesn't feel fair...

steven8
November 4th, 2006, 12:49 PM
You can request different amounts than the preset amounts. Say if your are doing it for a school or handing them out at a conference. You just have to make the request. They say it will take longer to fill the orders, but you could probably ask for 50.

xyz
November 5th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone for your time/advice.- Will give it a try.
Good day/night to all!

xyz
November 5th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I just ordered 5 more Cds...that's all I need!
We'll see in a few weeks!!

xyz
November 21st, 2006, 10:43 AM
I just ordered 5 more Cds...that's all I need!
We'll see in a few weeks!!
Well I ordered 5 and got 10 CDs + 8 stickers! Hey, could I be happier?
And it took 2 weeks!

As I stated in a previous post, this reordering free Cds was never meant to be an abuse...I'd hate to abuse Ubuntu!
No need to cheat, make 'em believe I'm somebody else or any other tricks. All I have to say is Thanks a lot!!

Note also that I had targeted the people I'm passing them on to before ordering Cds for the second time. (I had ordered 5 the 1st time).

megamania
November 21st, 2006, 11:14 AM
I don't really think this is right; you are cheating the system. If you want a lot of CDs, be up-front and honest about why you need them, and there is a good chance you can get some.
I think we should all keep in mind that Ubuntu is about money.

Canonical is not giving away the cd's because they are soft-hearted, but because by spreading the word they plan to make money out of it.

If you ask for 100 cd's and sell them on ebay, Canonical is likely to have 100 more people using Ubuntu with a $10 investment (every business' dream), and that's what they care about. Even if I don't like people reselling cd's, that's how it works in the end, and these people might be doing a favour to Canonical.

Canonical is a yes-profit :-) company, and their plan is to make money - do not confuse the idea behind Ubuntu with the idea behind Canonical.

adam.tropics
November 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM
I think we should all keep in mind that Ubuntu is about money.

Canonical is not giving away the cd's because they are soft-hearted, but because by spreading the word they plan to make money out of it.

If you ask for 100 cd's and sell them on ebay, Canonical is likely to have 100 more people using Ubuntu with a $10 investment (every business' dream), and that's what they care about. Even if I don't like people reselling cd's, that's how it works in the end, and these people might be doing a favour to Canonical.

Canonical is a yes-profit :-) company, and their plan is to make money - do not confuse the idea behind Ubuntu with the idea behind Canonical.

heathen!

megamania
November 21st, 2006, 02:24 PM
heathen!
I confess I had to look up that word in a dictionary. :-)