PDA

View Full Version : Python Writing Windows .bat Files

gerowen
November 2nd, 2006, 04:18 AM
I've got a little bit of experience in writing python programs that take information from the user and write a Linux bash script to implement the information collected. I recently tried to write a program to write a .bat file in Windows and where the "\" would be it inserts a space instead of the \ and the letter following it. For example if I wanted to write a file to delete a text file named temp.txt located in C:\, here is what I would write:

import commands
infile=open("delfile.bat", "w")#Opens the file
infile.write("del C:\temp.txt")#Writes the desired contents to the file
infile.close()#Closes the file
commands.getstatusoutput(delfile.bat)#Executes the file

That bat file executes because I see the DOS window flash for a second like normal, but the file remains in C and the contents of the .bat file would be:

del C: emp.txt

I think this is because python regards backslashes as symbols, like how \n will insert a new line, does somebody know how I could get it to keep the \ and actually write it into the file?

gerowen
November 2nd, 2006, 04:25 AM
Nevermind, two backslashes does the trick.

deepwave
November 2nd, 2006, 04:27 AM
Hmm... how about \\?

Python treats a \ as an escape character. Two \\ together should escape and write one \.

Also I would use Python's sys and os modules and run system commands using the API, instead of creating a batch file and executing it.

Hendrin
November 2nd, 2006, 04:28 AM
I was too slow on the draw. ;)

gerowen
November 2nd, 2006, 07:33 AM
Hmm... how about \\?

Python treats a \ as an escape character. Two \\ together should escape and write one \.

Also I would use Python's sys and os modules and run system commands using the API, instead of creating a batch file and executing it.

Yeah I'm new-ish to python, I figured it out, thank you for your help.