PDA

View Full Version : Linux Hardware and Profit Opportunity

gerowen
November 2nd, 2006, 03:04 AM
This idea just hit me after realizing that the qc-usb driver does not work for my Logitech Quickcam Messenger, only the Logitech Quickcam Express and a few others, but not the Messenger. I'm not upset with the authors of the driver, after all they had to figure it out on their own, but I'm upset with Logitech for refusing to release official drivers so I can use the webcam I paid good money for. Anyway, on to the idea.

Would it be feasible for Linux companies like Ubuntu, Redhat, Mandriva and others to get together and release hardware aimed at supporting Linux systems? Like instead of having an optical mouse with "Microsoft" plastered on top of it I could have one with the Ubuntu logo and an orange laser. Perhaps a webcam with native Linux drivers so I don't have to waste hours trying to get mine to work. I know that it would require quite a bit of cash to start producing the hardware but that's why I'm asking you guys, what do you think of it? It would provide a good source of income for the developers and save the users a lot of time hunting drivers and stuff. Opinions?

maniacmusician
November 2nd, 2006, 03:55 AM
They don't have the resources to produce such hardware. Sadly, our only hope is companies like IBM, and even IBM isn't willing to spend that much money on open source. What we need is for companies to start producing drivers for linux (or at least hardware specs). Wasting money trying to produce our own hardware is a bit over the top IMHO.

gerowen
November 2nd, 2006, 04:14 AM
Yeah drivers is really what I'm wanting, but companies like Logitech refusing to release a Linux driver or even the hardware specs makes it really hard for developers.

maniacmusician
November 2nd, 2006, 04:32 AM
yeah, i understand where you're coming from. But there's hundreds of categories of hardware, and thousands of different hardware devices. Can't realistically expect open-source supporting companies to remake open versions of all those products.