PDA

View Full Version : "ubuntu" bias in Distro reviews...

darkhatter
November 2nd, 2006, 02:26 AM
Has anyone noticed that almost all the reviews on distrowatch appear to be putting down distro and raising Ubuntu. Most of the reviews I have been reading need to shove the fact that ubuntu does so and so better. It's a little annoying, I pretty much only trust tuxmachine reviews.

I think I may post this in other linux forums....

gnomeuser
November 2nd, 2006, 03:40 AM
Has anyone noticed that almost all the reviews on distrowatch appear to be putting down distro and raising Ubuntu. Most of the reviews I have been reading need to shove the fact that ubuntu does so and so better. It's a little annoying, I pretty much only trust tuxmachine reviews.

I think I may post this in other linux forums....

It's perfectly okay for them to compare distros but the degree of Ubuntu chauvism going on currently does need to go away. It's no fun to read a new review expecting an overview of features and instead get half a review slagging the distro for not being Ubuntu.

For my money it's just annoying and amaturish. If you are going to review a distro, focus on that task and keep the rest of the Linux ecosystem out of it. If there's a problem, find a solution and link to it instead of saying "XZY does so and so".

The second most tiring distro review idiocy has to be the constant mentioning of the codec issue. Why not plainly state that this is not the distros problem and link to a solution - not one distro that removes this support for legal reasons does not provide a solution in some form that is easily accessable.

As you can tell I pretty much just stopped reading reviews, for me it works better to keep a seperate partition or machine to test distros on. That way I have a system in a steady state hardware-wise on which I can compare distributions.

darkhatter
November 2nd, 2006, 04:01 AM
I've also noticed that I'm glad that I'm not the only one that notices this bias.

aysiu
November 2nd, 2006, 06:12 AM
I think Ubuntu lacks a lot of things other distros have, but Ubuntu still gets better publicity for whatever reason.

I use it because of the community support, but feature-wise, it doesn't beat PCLinuxOS or Mepis.