PDA

View Full Version : Will Feisty be LTS

greggh
November 2nd, 2006, 01:46 AM
Just curious when the next LTS release will be...

punkinside
November 2nd, 2006, 03:29 AM
probably June 2009... dapper is supported for 3 years

gnomeuser
November 2nd, 2006, 03:49 AM
If I understand Mr. Shuttleworth correctly there's an idea of a major and minor cycle.

Each release is one minor cycle, 4 minor cycles make out a major cycle. At the end of each major cycle that release can be considered for LTS support. Also the major cycles indicate an ecosystem so that within 4 releases we have pretty much the same look and feel, then in the new cycle we can experiment.

greggh
November 2nd, 2006, 04:42 AM
If I understand Mr. Shuttleworth correctly there's an idea of a major and minor cycle.

Each release is one minor cycle, 4 minor cycles make out a major cycle. At the end of each major cycle that release can be considered for LTS support. Also the major cycles indicate an ecosystem so that within 4 releases we have pretty much the same look and feel, then in the new cycle we can experiment.

That would mean that in the future Ubuntu would have to support 3 different LTS releases at the same time on the server side, since the server LTS releases are 5 years support. That sounds like it could be difficult.

maniacmusician
November 2nd, 2006, 04:54 AM
not really. For server installations, not as many things need to be packaged and upgraded. It's mostly apps with a GUI that require extensive updating. That's the understanding I have anyways. It could be wrong I guess.

gnomeuser
November 2nd, 2006, 05:45 AM
That would mean that in the future Ubuntu would have to support 3 different LTS releases at the same time on the server side, since the server LTS releases are 5 years support. That sounds like it could be difficult.

Don't look at me, I didn't think up that insane scheme..

However in it's defence, you would only have a years overlap on desktop support with each release then you get a significantly reduced effort by supporting only the server setups.

I'm still favoring if you want to want a stable supportable distro at least the last minor cycle would be minimal of any added features. Allowing time to develop QA suites and massive automated testing, giving the code time to settle down but the community would NEVER agree to that.

meng
November 2nd, 2006, 05:47 AM
Overlapping releases isn't so crazy. Red Hat's support cycle is 7 years, right? But new releases of RHEL aren't 7 years apart.

MedivhX
November 2nd, 2006, 10:14 AM
Next LTS is after 3 more versions. That means:
Edgy Eft (non LTS)
Feisty Fawn (non LTS)
Unknown (non LTS)
Unknown (LTS)

That is for 1.5 years.

NeoLithium
November 2nd, 2006, 10:17 AM
I wonder what the code names will be once we run out of new letters to use from the alphabet.

Ramses de Norre
November 2nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
Starting all over with the 'A'?

nbound
November 2nd, 2006, 10:55 AM
I wonder what the code names will be once we run out of new letters to use from the alphabet.
Probably a new naming scheme (ie. not a "something animal")

kleeman
November 2nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
Greek Letters?

Alpha Animal
Omicron Odyssey

Dual Cortex
November 2nd, 2006, 02:35 PM
No! probably letters from some Niger-Congo language...

MedivhX
November 2nd, 2006, 03:03 PM
LOL!!! Thez should keep with names like these. Not with alphabets etc.

EdThaSlayer
November 2nd, 2006, 05:04 PM

I also wonder that. Maybe they will start with numbers? I didn't notice it was all in alphabetical order, but remember, Ubuntu might not be there anymore 11 years from now, technology would have advanced a lot and there would probably be another distribution... But i hope Ubuntu survives! :mrgreen: