PDA

View Full Version : What did linux users for web browsing before Firefox?

paul6
November 2nd, 2006, 01:23 AM
Just curious, what did Linux users use for browsing before Firefox? I consider Firefox the piece of software that brought me to Ubuntu, and its the one app I have running all the time. I vaguely remember installing Red Hat in '01-02 and than quickly uninstalling it (I was a linux newb than), but now that I have Ubuntu I don't think I will ever go back to Windows.

skymt
November 2nd, 2006, 01:26 AM
Before Firefox there was Mozilla. Before Mozilla, there was Netscape. Before Netscape, nobody cared. ;)

glotz
November 2nd, 2006, 01:27 AM
Firebird, and Phoenix! Just kidding. Interesting question though.

jpeddicord
November 2nd, 2006, 01:38 AM
It was either Epiphany or Galeon, whichever existed at the time. I am pretty sure it was Galeon.

greggh
November 2nd, 2006, 01:42 AM
and of course Konqueror

trash
November 2nd, 2006, 01:45 AM
my first was lynx!

jpeddicord
November 2nd, 2006, 01:46 AM
my first was lynx!
Ah... that takes me back.

Joe_CoT
November 2nd, 2006, 01:47 AM
There was always a *nix browser, even if you go back to lynx ;)

I used lynx in many a broken Gentoo install :-D

darkhatter
November 2nd, 2006, 01:49 AM
Mozilla and Netscape I was too young to remember anything beyond those

John T. Monkey
November 2nd, 2006, 01:54 AM
The last browser I used before Firefox would have been the Internet Explorer that came with Windows ME (5?). It did it's job fine, I never had any problems with it. Not that I'd go back, I run Firefox on my XP computer aswell...

prizrak
November 2nd, 2006, 02:56 AM
Galleon, Konqueror, Netscape/Mozilla

RAV TUX
November 2nd, 2006, 04:48 AM
Just curious, what did Linux users use for browsing before Firefox? I consider Firefox the piece of software that brought me to Ubuntu, and its the one app I have running all the time. I vaguely remember installing Red Hat in '01-02 and than quickly uninstalling it (I was a linux newb than), but now that I have Ubuntu I don't think I will ever go back to Windows.

Epiphany used to be the default web browser for Ubuntu.

many moons ago.

argie
November 2nd, 2006, 06:36 AM
I used to use Konqueror on Red Hat 8. There was another browser too, I've forgotten the name. The Gnome one.

zugu
November 2nd, 2006, 09:49 AM
I used to like NetCaptor a lot. This was the first browser to introduce tabbed-browsing. Before that, I tried Opera 5, but I hated it. And before Opera, there was IE 5 and Lynx - I didn't even knew how a Linux desktop environment looked like!

NeoLithium
November 2nd, 2006, 09:50 AM
I used lynx in many a broken Gentoo install :-D

Ohhhhhhhh yeah. I had that many many times! At least it's a great browser :)

miceagol
November 2nd, 2006, 09:54 AM
I used Mozilla. I remember Netscape was a pain in the ***, but this was on the linux PC's at my university, so I don't know why Netscape looked that bad. Only used that in case of emergency.

When I first started using linux at home, Firefox was already out I think.

Senak^2
November 2nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
I only joined the Linux world after it was default to have Firefox. But in the Windows world it was Netscape. I used it before IE and tried to hang onto it as long as I could after AOL killed it. I like to think that Firefox carries on the legacy of Netscape. Why am I so sappy about a browser? XD

AndyCooll
November 2nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
I used IE.

It was searching for alternative free apps for ******* and coming across Firefox and oOo, that introduced me to open-source and then Linux.

:cool:

Lord Illidan
November 2nd, 2006, 01:51 PM
there was opera too.

Anonii
November 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
There was always a *nix browser, even if you go back to lynx

I used lynx in many a broken Gentoo install

links is superior.

chavo
November 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
There was a time in Linux when the browser situation was really bad. Before Firefox came and Konqueror was still in it's infancy. The only choices were Netscape 4 and Opera 3. Both of these browsers were getting old and showing it with their css support and tendency to crash. I've been using Linux since 1998 and this was a real bad time for browsers. At one time Netscape 4.x and Opera were great, but like I said they were aging rapidly. Then along came Mozilla and Firefox. At this time I was using Galeon mostly and it used the gecko (mozilla at the time) engine.
Well anyway now things are pretty nice and there's some great choices in Linux. I personally use Konqueror and pretty much all KDE apps, I still prefer synaptic to adept though. I also keep Firefox installed just to test it out or w/e, but for everyday browsing it's the Konq.

lwr
November 2nd, 2006, 03:47 PM

many moons ago.

Really? I've got a Warty CD lying around somewhere, and I'm sure that used Firefox (although it wasn't even version 1). In fact, I first installed Firefox from that CD, as it was one of the Windows apps that came on it. Although I stuck with Windows at the time, Firefox made me realise how great open-source is, and now I use Ubuntu. It's kind of wonderful cycle of open-sourceness. So was Epiphany the default on Warty pre-releases?

EdThaSlayer
November 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
That is one crazy question you are asking. I guess for me it would have to be Internet Explorer. I never really thought about the browser i was using until i found Firefox.

Rhapsody
November 2nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
I've been using Firefox since it was called Phoenix. Before that, it was Mozilla, and Internet Explorer before that. My switch from IE to Mozilla was pretty quick and complete though, so I haven't been regularly using IE for a long time now.

bonzodog
November 2nd, 2006, 04:29 PM
well, having been on Linux since 99, and involved with OSS since 96, I would have to say Netscape. Netscape was, at one time, the default for a lot of Linux distros. I also used the Mozilla suite, then went to firebird (before it was renamed).

Kateikyoushi
November 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Used links a lot and still use it for most sites I regularly visit, start to use FF while it was an infant but when gentoo moved to 1.5 I switched to opera.

bruce89
November 2nd, 2006, 06:48 PM

many moons ago.

It never has been default. I used Warty (for 2 days), and the browser was Firefox (1.0RC at the time, later 1.0.7). Epiphany's first version was in April 2003, incidentally, and it has always required the Gecko engine. (Firefox, but more lately, XULRunner)

skymt
November 2nd, 2006, 06:48 PM
links is superior.

elinks is superiorer. :mrgreen:

gerowen
November 2nd, 2006, 08:08 PM
I'm a fairly recent convert to Linux, only been using a little over a year, so they've always had Firefox to me. Before Linux though I ran XP with Firefox, and before I found out about Firefox I used Internet Explorer.