PDA

View Full Version : Wow... very impressive

TestDummy!
April 23rd, 2005, 01:01 AM
I don't really know how to say this, but this new release of Ubuntu is very well done. I am actually starting to use it once a day or more (I'm still doing a XP/Ubuntu dual-boot, which actually works out alright) You see, this is what I mean when I say it's well done. I've used many distrbutions before, each one had one nice thing I liked about it, but each one had a few letdowns too.

Like SuSE 9.1, which I used to use. It was okay, things I wanted to get working worked, like Internet and what not, but I hated, absoultely hated getting stuck with dependancy problems each time I tried to install something. For comparison, I wanted to install XChat onto SuSE. Three and a half hours later, after going to numerous sites hunting down RPM's and trying to install them right so it doesn't result in more chaos, I'm lucky if I get a slightly working XChat. With Ubuntu, it's already there, and if it wasn't, is only one short command at a terminal away. Very nice. :)

I was using Kanotix for a while too. It was nice, when it actually decided to work. But it had too many usability issues, too many of them for me. It'd often not even get to booting, and would freeze up often. I was on their IRC channel once and told them that it was saying I had <84MB of RAM, when I really had 128MB. (This is my laptop I'm reffering to, main box has 512) . He told me to install more RAM and didn't really choose to help much more past that. I decided that I didn't really want to use that anymore after that little incident. [-X

Now, onto Ubuntu. Warty worked for me, and I did like it, but the troubles with my modem kinda kept me at bay. I just tried out Hoary recently and wow.... everything works. It noticed my cable modem on install and automatically configured it. Everything else went smoothly too. Well, the first install was a tad odd because it said I was using a non-Ubuntu CD when I was using the same one that I installed it with. I decided to wipe the drive and try again, worked then. Once it was installed, I tried it out, everything worked wonderfully. I noticed on first boot, it even waited for the modem until it was ready instead of just skipping over it. Nice. :grin:

Warty was pretty good, but Hoary is just excellent. I remember saying in February when first trying out Warty that I thought some problems should be smoothed out. Well, you sure did just that with this. I think I've found a Linux distro I'll be using for quite a while. I'm happy with it.

Nice job :smile:

mohaham
April 23rd, 2005, 01:53 AM
Ubuntu works just perfect for me too..
I use it more often than Xp these days..

bored2k
April 23rd, 2005, 02:02 AM
Ubuntu works just perfect for me too..
I use it more often than Xp these days..
Nowadays I only see myself booting XP just because of Sony DVD Architect. Nothing comes even close to what that app. can do.

james_mad
April 23rd, 2005, 02:33 AM
I uninstalled xp a long time ago, but I do not really need it for anything. I also agree that hoary is great. My printer worked with a few mouse clicks, unlike warty where it was a pain. Good job ubuntu devs! =D>

mrtaber
April 23rd, 2005, 02:49 AM
I have found myself saying the same thing. It took me less than a day to get my Ubuntu box the way I want it...compared to agonizing days, even weeks with some other distros. Just amazing. I've been spreading the word at work, among my friends. They're still at the "U-bun-huh?" stage.

At work we use Red Hat (and Fedora). I switched my home machine over to Ubuntu, and I haven't looked back. Great community, too.

Mark :)

escuchamezz
April 23rd, 2005, 03:09 AM
Hoary is fantastic, but not nearly as good as XP to be honest.

SamH
April 23rd, 2005, 03:22 AM
The only thing I fire up XP for at home now is to play Civilization III or Railroad Tycoon 3.

Unfortunately at work it's Win2K and XP all the time. :roll:

Stormy Eyes
April 23rd, 2005, 03:33 AM
Hoary is fantastic, but not nearly as good as XP to be honest.

I think you'd change your opinion if you had to do any coding work on XP. I have, and after a week I told the boss, "I want to come to the office on Saturday and put Windows 2000 on my workstation. If I have to use XP any longer, I will quit."

escuchamezz
April 23rd, 2005, 04:53 PM
I think you'd change your opinion if you had to do any coding work on XP. I have, and after a week I told the boss, "I want to come to the office on Saturday and put Windows 2000 on my workstation. If I have to use XP any longer, I will quit."

for coding yes, windows blows goats, but i'm talking as a general desktop.

NateC
April 23rd, 2005, 05:42 PM
for coding yes, windows blows goats, but i'm talking as a general desktop.

hah. no. Ubuntu is way better.

Brunellus
April 23rd, 2005, 06:47 PM
hah. no. Ubuntu is way better.
this is going to degenerate into a schoolyard "uh-huh!" "nuh-uh!" argument.

Things XP does well:
1) Hardware support. Hardware manufacturers release drivers for Windows. They don't do so nearly as often for Linux. This is aggravating.
2)Games.
3) Specialized apps with no Linux ports or free software equivalents: SPSS, for instance.

Things XP does not do well:
1) Security.
2) Stability (although this is not nearly as much of a problem as it was. Remember WinME? Yeah, I'd rather not, too)
3) Customization. MS is more or less "my way or the highway" when it comes to look 'n feel, user-interface, and so on.

Things Ubuntu does well:
1) Stability (provided you run a stable version. Breezy Badger is not, Hoary and Warty are)
2) Efficiency. XP is a horrible resource hog compared to even Ubuntu and Gnome. Ubuntu and fluxbox (or icewm, or even xfce) makes working on old equipment a pleasure again.
3) Freedom.

Things Ubuntu does not do well:
1) Hardware. This isn't ubuntu's fault--and in fairness ubuntu has been far better at automatic hardware detection than most distributions.
2)Bleeding-edge packages. Not a big deal for those of us who'd rather live on the safe side. And there are always the breezy servers or the backports repos.

negatory
April 23rd, 2005, 09:58 PM
I still got Windows XP installed...I used it for 5 hours of playing and repartitioning with Partition Magic after I got my new computer and then I installed Ubuntu...never booted back to Windows XP...I'm running linux full time now!

Pedro Carrico

seven
April 23rd, 2005, 10:32 PM
Ubuntu is _THE_ distro. i've been using XP\Linux for almost a year now, and
from mandrake \ fedora \ suse \ debian and ubuntu
ubuntu is the dist which actually made me be more on linux
(beside the gaming part , I'm doing almost everything on ubuntu)

stilus
April 23rd, 2005, 10:35 PM
I don't think "Better/ Worse" debates with comparisons to WinXP, Win2000, DOS 5.0 or Mac osX will get any of us much further. I personally have very serious problems working with windows systems, but my opinion is worth squat to people who disagree, as it should be.

It all comes down to what you do with that lump of energy-consuming plastic-metal-silicon in front of you and how you'd want it to work. You might want it to work the ubuntu way. I do. Some of my friends (and even my mother, hurray!) do too. It has made my life as a ad hoc hell-desker a lot easier and I think I'll stick with Ubuntu for many releases to come.

What ubuntu adds is at the very least another excellent option to the list of Desktops/ OS'es. So you can not only choose "where you want to go today", but also how you want to get there.

TravisNewman
April 23rd, 2005, 10:38 PM
If there were ever a Linux ad campaign, the catchphrase should be "How do you want to get there?" That's brilliant.

Zeke
April 24th, 2005, 01:33 AM
I haven't even gotten Ubuntu yet, I just ordered my CD's half an hour ago, But I am already convinced that Windows (all versions) is just about the worst anybody can do. I've never used anything except various versions of windows, but I HATE THIS CRAP!!!!!!!!! sorry... just thinking about all 35 bugs I work around every single day reall irritates me!