PDA

View Full Version : Experiencing withdrawals

ThrobbingBrain66
November 1st, 2006, 06:59 PM
Hi, my name is Brad and I'm an Ubuntuholic. I'm addicted to updates...

At first I was just like every one else. I applied a few updates to Dapper here and there...but only when they were offered. As Edgy entered its alpha phases I installed it on my main machine. I knew it would be buggy, but I was curious. Oddly enough, it worked very well for me. The next day when I updated I was surprised at the sheer number of updates made available to me. For the next few days I updated only once a day. But then as the weeks went on I found myself updating two, three and four times a day. I reasoned with myself, "It's a developing release and I want to stay current." Shortly after that I resorted to checking for updates every 1-2 hours...sneaking updates when no one was looking or no one else was home. Again I reasoned with myself, "I don't have a problem. I can stop whenever I want." Then came October 26, Edgy Release Day.

I was glad that more people in the world would now be able to experience Edgy. But I didn't take one thing into account, the torrent of updates slowing to barely a trickle. I don't know if I can make it 4-5 update per week. I've already started to suffer withdrawals. Shaking, twitching, cold sweats, mood swings and sleepless nights are all very common.

I've come to all of you for help and guidance. My life was once normal and I want that back. For anyone else out there who is going through the same problems, feel free to join in this support thread.

Thank you to all who lend their support.

Old Pink
November 1st, 2006, 07:02 PM
Since the arrival of Edgy Final, I've seen only one update. :(

Is this right? Or is there something wrong...?

raqball
November 1st, 2006, 07:05 PM
My son is running Edgy on his pc and I have not seen a single update, but it has been a few days since I checked :)

fuscia
November 1st, 2006, 07:09 PM
I don't know if I can make it 4-5 update per week. I've already started to suffer withdrawals.

why don't you try installing and uninstalling kde-core, over and over again, while you wait?

hkgonra
November 1st, 2006, 07:16 PM
Maybe you should get the alpha of the next version ?

ThrobbingBrain66
November 1st, 2006, 08:05 PM
Maybe you should get the alpha of the next version ?

that will only feed my addiction. i'm looking for a cure.

alchimera
November 1st, 2006, 09:13 PM
Having a similar problem - Edgy is up and running beautifully, but i keep getting these urges... to tweak something, check for updates, cruise the forums for the latest posts... and this afternoon i realised that i miss the excitement of surfing the wave of updates and installs, and if i don't distract myself i'll end up breaking my system doing something not entirely neccessary!

As for the cure, i'm attempting to start an intimate relationship with Beryl (good looking, outgoing personality, hidden depths...and mood swings!) plus there's Samba, VMware, Blender, Inkscape...

Yeah i know it's not the same - roll on Feisty!!!

Bigbluecat
November 1st, 2006, 09:15 PM
Try taking your mind off it by smoking, drinking and gambling:mrgreen:

That should cure your addiction.

puppy
November 1st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Well I had a few Beryl updates this evening, and then I got a message saying CastPodder (my podcast download client) had been updated to version 5.3, and would I like to download the latest version? The feeling of relief washed over me in waves - it won't last long though... :( I... need... a... f-f-f-i-x :twisted:

weasel fierce
November 1st, 2006, 11:17 PM
Find the very first ubuntu release, install all the updates, then dist-upgrade to the next one, and so on :)

roderikk
November 1st, 2006, 11:41 PM
Find the very first ubuntu release, install all the updates, then dist-upgrade to the next one, and so on :)
That sounds like a very quick fix... :-). I guess I want to join the circle because I feel exactly the same way. I am exitedly looking forward to friday when 0.1.2 of Beryl will be in the repos! But still I have an urgent need to just install the repos of the SVN version and play with that.... But I don't have time for that!?!?!?!
Maybe we should start some sort of Ubuntu Anonymous group or something? I mean Ubuntu is about the community, maybe the community can take care of its junkies?

Lord Illidan
November 1st, 2006, 11:50 PM
Try LFS.

roderikk
November 2nd, 2006, 12:07 AM
Try LFS.
Why did you tell me this......? This is not so nice, now I find myself reading an e-book and being intrigued and all! Must go to sleep now! Don't remind me when I wake up though! ;-)

Lord Illidan
November 2nd, 2006, 12:10 AM
*evil chuckle*

Go on, go on...

roderikk
November 2nd, 2006, 03:52 PM
Woohoo! There are updates!!!! :-)

EdThaSlayer
November 2nd, 2006, 04:03 PM
Sadly...i only had 1, yes 1 update today.
I think all of us linux guys are a little too addicted to these updates.
Anyway Brad, you are not alone.
I still need to update to Edgy but i have to wait till i can go to my dads office(the internet i have at home is very slow).

delfick
November 2nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
Maybe we should start some sort of Ubuntu Anonymous group or something? I mean Ubuntu is about the community, maybe the community can take care of its junkies?

hi my name is Delfick, and i can't stop going to forums instead of studying for exams

:D:D lol (it's funny cause it's true and i just realised i should go back to studying :'( )

roderikk
November 2nd, 2006, 10:55 PM
hi my name is Delfick, and i can't stop going to forums instead of studying for exams

:D:D lol (it's funny cause it's true and i just realised i should go back to studying :'( )
So, not to disturb you from your studies, but what do you study? Is it in any way related to computers or can it take your mind off computers a bit...? :-)

idjut
November 2nd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Every time you feel the urge come over you, go out for a walk, drink a nice cuppa tea or visit some friends. And once in a while call your family. This will help you relate to the computer as a means rather than an end. ;)

lwr
November 3rd, 2006, 12:20 AM
I guess you could install all the software in the repos, then you should get quite a few updates. LFS looks fun, maybe I'll give that a go when I've got a whole year to spare.

delfick
November 3rd, 2006, 03:22 AM
So, not to disturb you from your studies, but what do you study? Is it in any way related to computers or can it take your mind off computers a bit...? :-)

i'm currently a year 12 student in Western Australia doing the TEE (tertiary entrance exams)

doing

Calculus
Applicable Maths
Economics
Physics
and English (i think english should be renamed creative ******** :D)

fun stuff :D

po0f
November 3rd, 2006, 05:17 AM
This will help you relate to the computer as a means rather than an end.

Lies.

[EDIT]

Lord Illidan,

Thanks for reminding me of LFS, now I have something I can do with my laptop.

nbound
November 3rd, 2006, 05:21 AM
i'm currently a year 12 student in Western Australia doing the TEE (tertiary entrance exams)

doing

Calculus
Applicable Maths
Economics
Physics
and English (i think english should be renamed creative ******** :D)

fun stuff :D
If its anything like the NSW HSC was last year... it will be a walk in the park...

(Get back to studying - *cracks whip*)

d3v1ant_0n3
November 3rd, 2006, 05:21 AM
I had to reinstall yesterday, and only have a Dapper disc, so I got my Updates fix:D :D

Mihkal
November 3rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Try debian sid, it's always open for updates. ;)
Perhaps you could try making debs for the latest software, then install them.

Personally, I try other distros from time to time.

mdurham
November 3rd, 2006, 08:51 AM
So what's LFS?

hyper7
November 3rd, 2006, 08:52 AM
Try debian sid, it's always open for updates. ;)
Perhaps you could try making debs for the latest software, then install them.

Personally, I try other distros from time to time.

Or you can take the route i've always used in windows. Install a bunch of software you don't need and then tinker with it.

I must add, posting on forums can consume a bit of 'update' time too. :mrgreen:

boban
November 3rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
I see I'm not the only addicted here... :D

If you want to feed your addiction, then install gentoo on another partition :)

It's fun and it will keep you busy :P

roderikk
November 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM
So what's LFS?
http://www.google.nl/search?q=LFS