PDA

View Full Version : Superman Returns pictures (finally!)

bored2k
April 22nd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Superman Returns!
For anyone that still hasn't seen these new pictures, they are here (http://img243.imageshack.us/img_viewer.php?loc=img243&image=bulletproof2gg.jpg&gal=img243/41/binshavesized7fl.jpg) (ok, the gun picture is not in the movie :-P) and here (http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState|0|0|30|0|0|0|1|| |0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|7|brandon+routh|0|0|0|0&p=7 )
By the way, howcome he still needs a phone booth? There's no Motorola in Metropolis? Batman (http://www.phys.unt.edu/~vadertls/Batman%20on%20Phone2.gif) had a mobile phone [sort of..] :-|

TravisNewman
April 22nd, 2005, 10:33 PM
OK am I the only one that's worried about this movie? I LOVE the comics, the old movies, Smallville, basically everything Superman related-- but that costume looks terrrrrrible, and I'm afraid it may take the whole movie out with its crappiness.

XDevHald
April 22nd, 2005, 10:36 PM
bored2k, you must be really bored LOL, great pics, and YES I love the comics, I used to draw them by hand when I was 8 years old, those were the good ol' days ;)

Although It still isn't superman without the REAL superman from back in the day. :)

nautilus
April 22nd, 2005, 10:39 PM
He looks like such a geek! :D

poofyhairguy
April 22nd, 2005, 11:53 PM
Is this a new TV show or something? The pictures look funny.

bored2k
April 23rd, 2005, 12:30 AM
Is this a new TV show or something? The pictures look funny.
No, new motion picture.

And yes panickedthumb, I was seriously worried this would happen. Though I like Smallville's Tom Welling, I was afraid he might look too goofy/young/inmature for the role in a motion picture, but he'd still make a great box-office Superman [I'd miss Kristin Kreuk though :-#]. But this pictures look like a SNL sketch gone WRONG. I wish in the middle of nowhere Bernie Mack appears and "head of state" b*slaps Brian Singer [director].

And by the way, I'm no film critic [at least I'm not getting a check for it], but what's with Hollywood and making old beloved characters so young and lame-looking? I mean did anyone EVER saw Tarzan in NYC or something? bleh!. Catwoman? ok H.B. is h*t, but she 's nowhere near Michelle Pfeiffer's onscreen finesse. That dumb Batgirl not-even-a-whole-season-long series? Just shoot me! Cyclops? what? he suffered anemia? Storm? *ugh* Imma stop before I get EMO.

The only well selected character was Chris Bale in Batman IMO. That guy totally rocked in Equilibrium (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000288/) (if you didnt see that one and ur wondering why Chris Bale, watch it).

*geekness off*

Nis
April 23rd, 2005, 01:54 AM
No, new motion picture.

And yes panickedthumb, I was seriously worried this would happen. Though I like Smallville's Tom Welling, I was afraid he might look too goofy/young/inmature for the role in a motion picture, but he'd still make a great box-office Superman [I'd miss Kristin Kreuk though :-#]. But this pictures look like a SNL sketch gone WRONG. I wish in the middle of nowhere Bernie Mack appears and "head of state" b*slaps Brian Singer [director].

And by the way, I'm no film critic [at least I'm not getting a check for it], but what's with Hollywood and making old beloved characters so young and lame-looking? I mean did anyone EVER saw Tarzan in NYC or something? bleh!. Catwoman? ok H.B. is h*t, but she 's nowhere near Michelle Pfeiffer's onscreen finesse. That dumb Batgirl not-even-a-whole-season-long series? Just shoot me! Cyclops? what? he suffered anemia? Storm? *ugh* Imma stop before I get EMO.

The only well selected character was Chris Bale in Batman IMO. That guy totally rocked in Equilibrium (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000288/) (if you didnt see that one and ur wondering why Chris Bale, watch it).

*geekness off*
Don't forget Bale's great performance as Patrick Bateman in American Psycho (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144084/). :) Equilbrium did rock; go rent it if you haven't seen it and you enjoyed the Matrix movies.

While I agree that from the pics this new Superman movie does look a little cartoonish I think Singer will handle it well. The X-Men movies were fun and Singer is a big geek (which I mean as a good thing. I'm a geek too). I only hope that if it looks cartoony it isn't Batman & Robin cartoony.

I think the big push for young actors playing superhero roles happened after Spider-Man hit big. Toby Maguire nailed Peter Parker, but a nerdy high school kid is what Peter Parker is supposed to be. Many other superheroes have really excelled in the comics only when they were "adults". My favorite Superman is from Kingdom Come where he's at least 60 years old. I only hope the obsession with making all superheroes in movies under 30 will wear away soon.

bored2k
April 23rd, 2005, 02:00 AM
I only hope the obsession with making all superheroes in movies under 30 will wear away soon.

Good thing this guy (http://www.mattlankes.com/assets/pics/djquails.jpg) wasn't casted as The Hulk!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0702809/

TravisNewman
April 23rd, 2005, 02:28 AM
Ha! DJ Qualls couldn't be any kind of superhero, i don't think. Maybe something in the X men-- he already looks a little like a mutant ;)

He plays that up though-- he loves the fact that he's funny looking, and tries to use it to his advantage.

And yes Equilibrium is freakin' amazing-- the gunfights based in the art of swordfighting are VERY unique and interesting.

Stormy Eyes
April 23rd, 2005, 05:46 AM
Those tights can't possibly be comfortable. And what if Superman gets too close to a jet engine. Can the Man of Steel fly fast enough to avoid getting sucked into a turbine cape-first?

Nis
April 23rd, 2005, 06:22 AM
Those tights can't possibly be comfortable. And what if Superman gets too close to a jet engine. Can the Man of Steel fly fast enough to avoid getting sucked into a turbine cape-first?
While he probably would be sucked in by his cape he would survive unscathed along with his costume (it's indestructable like him). The engine would explode and the plane might begin to go down but Supes would just grab it and gently fly it to the ground saving everyone inside. That's why he's so cool. :)

But did you ever notice in the old black & white Superman television show Superman always let the bullets hit him but he ducked when they threw the gun?

bored2k
April 23rd, 2005, 06:29 AM
LoL.

By the way today I was watching Smallville. Clark feels pain when a girl slaps him, but in like the 2nd episode, he goes through a BUS. A BUS. In the pilot, he smashes through Lex's Porsche 911 Turbo [Ohhh the humanity!].

TravisNewman
April 23rd, 2005, 06:40 AM
LoL.

By the way today I was watching Smallville. Clark feels pain when a girl slaps him, but in like the 2nd episode, he goes through a BUS. A BUS. In the pilot, he smashes through Lex's Porsche 911 Turbo [Ohhh the humanity!].
Clark PRETENDS to feel pain when someone slaps him. ;) And he's probably just surprised anyway.

bored2k
April 23rd, 2005, 07:08 AM
Clark PRETENDS to feel pain when someone slaps him. ;) And he's probably just surprised anyway.
Come ooon he's not that good of an actor :-P. By the way, howcome like, everyone has a meteor rock? What they sell it at the Talon for a $buck each? I mean, aren't they suppose to be expensive or maybe in a government facility? And there's like a whole bunch of people affected by meteor rocks and no one cares to notice. In Phenomenon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117333/), cops were like all over George..

Oh and speaking of comic book characters, what do y'all think of Fantastic Four ? Jessica Alba's in it [Big Plus], that kick ass dude from The Shield and two other chumps (one will always be "wearing" red and other will just be Hellen Parr/Elastigirl in disguise. I forgot to take off /geekness tonite :-|

TravisNewman
April 23rd, 2005, 07:27 AM
Everyone has a meteor rock because that's where the meteor shower was? There's no way the gov't could have cleared all that out. But that WOULD be funny if they sold it at the Talon-- Clark would have to come up with good excuses for never showing up! I DO love the way they've taken that show. Chloe now knows Clark's secret, and it appears that more people are going to find out next week. Though I'm quite upset that Lionel is evil again (though he does a GREAT job of it), and I REALLY wish Clark and Lana would just STAY apart. I REALLY don't like Lana. I love Kristin Kreuk as an actress-- when she gets all posessed by Countess whatever-her-name-is it's fantastic. Oh, and raise your hand if you knew Jason was evil! *raises hand* Clark and Chloe just need to get together-- I know that's not in the original comics, but neither were Chloe and Pete (though the comics have ADDED chloe because she was so popular), Lex wasn't in Smallville at all in the comics, There was no such thing as Black Kryptonite-- *sigh* They've deviated so far, they might as well make Clark and Chloe hook up.

SamH
April 23rd, 2005, 09:35 AM
Skinny is OK for SuperBOY, But if you are doing SuperMAN, the actor should be really BUFF. Big Chest, large biceps, etc.

Spider-Man was the super hero that was created to look kinda scrawny. Supes should be massive and ripped!

Just my $.02 worth.

TravisNewman
April 23rd, 2005, 10:12 AM
I can totally agree there!
Hard to find someone who can match the look and the build, but it's worth it. And I'm all for keeping things true to the original, but that suit just doesn't look good. Looks very campy. If they're going for something like the old Batman series, then fine, but I doubt that's it.

dcraven
April 23rd, 2005, 03:08 PM
Although I think Superman is a pretty lame superhero when compared to the more modern and "realistic" if you will heros that are popular today, I think it might be neat to see a rebirth on the big screen. Those pictures btw, are probably shot by some knob with a Polaroid on the sidelines, and not actual footage. What looks cheap and cheesy through an amatuer camera looks completely different through a professionally directed bigscreen camera.

There is still hope. I mean, look what they did with Spiderman. My jaw still drops when I watch those movies. I get chills.

~djc

bored2k
April 23rd, 2005, 03:29 PM
Although I think Superman is a pretty lame superhero when compared to the more modern and "realistic" if you will heros that are popular today, I think it might be neat to see a rebirth on the big screen. Those pictures btw, are probably shot by some knob with a Polaroid on the sidelines, and not actual footage. What looks cheap and cheesy through an amatuer camera looks completely different through a professionally directed bigscreen camera.

There is still hope. I mean, look what they did with Spiderman. My jaw still drops when I watch those movies. I get chills.

~djc
Though I don't like him much, Superman can never be lame. Most of the stuff you see nowadays are just derived from the whole Man of Steel idea. Superman has a finesse touch only rivaled by Batman.

Can you give concrete examples of those -new- realistic cooler than Superman characters? Please don't mention Punisher..