PDA

View Full Version : dvd::rip

Zodiac
November 1st, 2006, 04:15 PM
Where would the appropriate place be to ask an dvd::rip question which relates to Ubuntu?

Kernel Sanders
November 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM
IMO, here :)

If your worried as to whether its appropriate to ask on these forums due to the potenntial legalities, then I wouldnt. Not every DVD is copyrighted. In fact, only about 10% of the DVD's I own are to be honest. Therefore, I see no reason why the topic of "DVD Ripping" in Ubuntu should be a taboo subject?

John :)

Zodiac
November 1st, 2006, 04:45 PM
Naw, this question is just a dumb one...

Soooo... my laptop only supports a screen res of 1024x768... and with that res, I can't see the bottom 1/4 of the dvd::rip interface.

What are my options? :\

Thanks!

RoyArne
November 1st, 2006, 04:48 PM
Soooo... my laptop only supports a screen res of 1024x768... and with that res, I can't see the bottom 1/4 of the dvd::rip interface.

What are my options? :\

If you press and hold the Alt key, you can click and drag anywhere in the window to move it so that you can see the rest of the interface (if you're using Gnome).

Zodiac
November 1st, 2006, 04:50 PM
I.... love..... you.

*cry*

Thanks! Now I don't have to delete panels to see wtf is going on!!

MetalMusicAddict
November 1st, 2006, 05:15 PM
Are you still using the DVD:RIP with the GTK1 GUI? If so, Edgy has the GTK2 updated one. ;) ALOT better than the old one. I had the same problem as you.

http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/doc/img/thumbs/clip_zoom.jpg (http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/doc/img/shots/clip_zoom.png)
^Click me^

Now if I could only get it to resample ac3 audio.:-k

Zodiac
November 1st, 2006, 06:04 PM
Yea that's the one I am using... I am total nub though, this is my first attempt at ripping anything, I have like 3 hours left before I know if it worked...

I'll let ya know :)

MGStreak
April 29th, 2007, 06:38 PM
If you press and hold the Alt key, you can click and drag anywhere in the window to move it so that you can see the rest of the interface (if you're using Gnome).

I've just tried this (as I'm having the exact same problem), and holding ALT didn't do anything. I am using GNOME with Ubuntu 7.04, on a Toshiba laptop with 1024 as my resolution (it can't go any bigger). I can't see the bottom 1/4 of the dvd::rip screen.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

forezt
December 8th, 2007, 01:11 PM
From the dvd::rip website on 2007/08/05:

Obviously many people use dvd::rip on smaller screens (widescreen notebooks and stuff ;) but the rich GUI doesn't fit very well on them. This release adds a "small screen size" option, which puts the notebook tabs to the left and adds scrollbars, so every bit of the dvd::rip GUI is reachable even on the smallest screen now ;)

So, you need to get dvd::rip .0.9.8 or above if you want to use dvd::rip on a small(er) screen. Currently, this version isn't in the gutsy repository, but hopefully it will be very very soon.

EDIT: If you're anxious like I was, then you can get dvd::rip .0.9.8 .deb packages from http://www.debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/d/dvdrip/. They were compiled for Debian lenny, but they worked on my Ubuntu gutsy system. Use them at your own risk.