PDA

View Full Version : Spam from ubuntu? Go fool somebody else!

bastiegast
November 1st, 2006, 01:45 PM
http://www.platinax.co.uk/news/01-11-2006/linux-distros-ubuntu-trustix-and-suse-accused-of-email-spam/

They say linux distro's send spam to users. I mean seriously, get your information right before writing an article, sheez!
Like a distro can send spam ](*,)
I was stunned when i read this. Its a serious offend based on nothing.

OffHand
November 1st, 2006, 01:50 PM
What a bunch of ********.

MedivhX
November 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah... That platinax should be sued!!!

bluenova
November 1st, 2006, 01:59 PM
http://www.platinax.co.uk/news/01-11-2006/linux-distros-ubuntu-trustix-and-suse-accused-of-email-spam/

They say linux distro's send spam to users. I mean seriously, get your information right before writing an article, sheez!
Like a distro can send spam ](*,)
I was stunned when i read this. Its a serious offend based on nothing.
Did you read the article? I think what they are saying is true. I have read several people on the mailing list complaining that they have emailed to unsubscribe and nothing has happened. Perhaps a problem with mailman.

MedivhX
November 1st, 2006, 02:01 PM
Oh, please, it's probably phishing...

Titus A Duxass
November 1st, 2006, 02:04 PM
As stated by Bluenova, it has nothing to do with the disto sending spam.

The article states that the vendors stand accused of sending spam because of their somewhat shaky unsubscribe policy.

The key words here are "stands accused" Remember innocent until proven guilty.

Medivhx - You go can not go around suing people because they have been accused of something.

slimdog360
November 1st, 2006, 02:11 PM
What a bunch of bull.

Id probably change that, there are over zealous mods about.

lazyart
November 1st, 2006, 02:15 PM
This is why I'm cautious about joining any mailing list.

Polygon
November 1st, 2006, 03:34 PM
well IS this false information? have people been unable to unsubscribe from the mailing lists?

MedivhX
November 1st, 2006, 03:43 PM
Even if there are those mails, they are probably from some hackers etc.

bastiegast
November 1st, 2006, 03:51 PM
Did you read the article? I think what they are saying is true. I have read several people on the mailing list complaining that they have emailed to unsubscribe and nothing has happened. Perhaps a problem with mailman.

I did read the article. It might have some truth in it. But I couldn't imagine canonical to be like that. And they're talking about ubuntu and suse as if they're companies so i thats why at a first glance i just thought it was nonsense.

I, Brian
November 1st, 2006, 05:40 PM
Just to clarify, the issue raised is with the various email lists run by various linux distros.

When they send out emails to subscribers, unsubscription information isn't clear, and the mailman software can be especially unclear on how to unsubscribe if you do click through to a link.

I've also sent "unsubscribe" replies to various lists, and even though they have been received, acknowledged, and "moderated" - nothing happens.

I think a key point to make is that the distros themselves aren't sending out the emails - my apologies, as the wording is confusing and I accept that - it's that the mailman software is user-unfriendly as used.

I also want to make it clear that the article isn't trying to accuse Ubuntu or others of spamming - however, the failure to easily be removed from email lists *may* be perceived as "spam" is the point I was trying to underline.

I appreciate that there may be some confusion over the matters raised, and I have added a correction - but if anyone feels that further corrections are required, I'm happy to consider them.

- Brian