PDA

View Full Version : eudora goes open-source

TheRingmaster
November 1st, 2006, 04:15 AM
I see on there website, http://www.eudora.com/, that eudora is going open-source. I wonder if it will come to linux. If so who would use it?

henriquemaia
November 1st, 2006, 05:12 AM
Eudora! I used it a loooooooooong time ago. Great news to hear they are open sourcing it.

23meg
November 1st, 2006, 05:16 AM
Mozilla have their hands on it:

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope

The "Penelope" project's intention is to join the Eudora® user experience with the Mozilla platform. We intend to produce a version of Eudora that is open source and based on mozilla and Thunderbird. It's *not* our intention to compete with Thunderbird; rather, we want to complement it.

We are committed to both preserving the Eudora user experience and to maintaining maximum compatibility, for both developers and users, with Thunderbird. It is our goal to build a single development community around Thunderbird and Eudora, so that both mailers advance faster than they previously have.

mrgnash
November 1st, 2006, 06:37 AM
What does Eudora have over Thunderbird? :confused:

Skia_42
November 1st, 2006, 07:10 AM
Haha, my dad uses it. It is a pretty old program by now. (6 years?)

henriquemaia
November 1st, 2006, 07:37 AM
Haha, my dad uses it. It is a pretty old program by now. (6 years?)

I guess it's a bit more. In their ftp server they have a version of Eudora Pro from 1997...

pinoyskull
November 1st, 2006, 08:01 AM
some of my clients are still using eudora :)

MedivhX
November 1st, 2006, 01:54 PM
I neer used it. And I never will (if it is so old)

daynah
November 1st, 2006, 02:09 PM
What's wrong with something being old?

Old can mean more work has been done to make it a great program (of course, the cynical would also say old could mean more problems can be found in it).

I don't know if I'll switch but I remember using Eudora and I loved every inch of it... except that there was a free vs. paid part, which this will obviously remedy. Maybe Eudora because Eudora can already do the things Thunderbird can, it will work on doing the things it can't (for example, the things that are good about Evolution). Or maybe I'm just having pot dreams.

wolfear
November 17th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Well..this satisfied my curiosity about whether anyone had posted about Eudora going Open Source.

I wonder if it will come to linux. If so who would use it?
I, for one, would.

I have used it ever since switched to Firefox as opposed to the full Mozilla suite and wasn't about to add Outlook back into my system.

While it is functionally the same as Thunderbird and Evolution, Eudora was a bit easier to manage and allowed a bit finer tuning of preferences, filters, servers and accounts.

One drawback I always had on my system was Eudora was a huge resource hog when checking new mail.

Still, I would like to see it come to Linux as that would overcome yet another argument my wife has about switching.

If can get WINE working properly for our poker, the battle may be won...lol

I already made the switch on my system and wouldn't go back for love or money.

adam.tropics
November 17th, 2006, 04:52 AM
What's wrong with something being old?

Old can mean more work has been done to make it a great program (of course, the cynical would also say old could mean more problems can be found in it).

I don't know if I'll switch but I remember using Eudora and I loved every inch of it... except that there was a free vs. paid part, which this will obviously remedy. Maybe Eudora because Eudora can already do the things Thunderbird can, it will work on doing the things it can't (for example, the things that are good about Evolution). Or maybe I'm just having pot dreams.

Agreed. Actually I have slightly nostalgic memories of it, as it was one of two mail clients available to us in College. The other being Pegasus, which was also very nice.

TheRingmaster
November 17th, 2006, 05:02 AM
hey another pegasus fan! whoo hoooo :)

they are thinking of going open-source, but some code is not compatible or something because he (David Harris) didn't write it all.

mtn
November 17th, 2006, 05:07 AM
i have had to use it and i don't like it. thunderbird any day for me.

warjowuch
December 5th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I'd also very much like Eudora going linux! I have used it in wine, and now use thunderbird for the sake of platform-equality. But I miss the nice preferencing, the MDI and a bunch of other things. The easyness of making very customized views, headerviewing in previews, full header-views, buttonschoices in toolbar (yes, t-bird has an extra set of buttons in an add-on, but this does not provide the right buttons for me).

The only and important stupidity was the way it stores its emails in their own mbx-formatted files :-( and I missed the functionality of emailcheckfrequency per account, they have in on total emailcliënt. This has its consequences when using pop-servers that cannot check more then once in 15 (or whatever) minutes.

But furhtermore I LOVE eudora. When it combines with the niceties of t-bird, I am right back on it.

iPower
December 6th, 2006, 02:29 AM
i don't like thunderbird