PDA

View Full Version : gamming titles for linux

dejavu
April 22nd, 2005, 06:23 PM
so whts the reall deal with GAMES in Linux .. ??!!

The Question
==========
why arent ther enough titles for linux and that for windows ?

Situation
=======
the reason ppl why im asking this is cause i quitted windows a while ago and shifted to ubunto completely .. loved it alot .. its awesome .. but then i came accross this game and I had to play it (falcon4) but was unable to run in on linux . i tried very hard to get it running on linux but no way !! and finnaly i decided to back to windows .. and since more then a month ive been enjoying windows ...

but i wanna know as to why the game like that are not being made for linux as well .. i know that big names like Doom3 and Unreal are good for linux as well .. but these are part of a very little list of games for linux and there are alof of games that come out every month .. so why arent there games out for linux .. and if there are , where are they ? :neutral:

Leif
April 22nd, 2005, 06:31 PM
It's too small a market share, so most publishers don't think it's worth the hassle. Plus, they might suffer from a misconception that since Linux users love free stuff, they wouldn't pay for it anyway.

jdodson
April 22nd, 2005, 07:49 PM
there are WAY more games on gnu/linux than just ut2004 and doom3.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5153

now if you mean commercial games, well sure i cant argue with that. however, there are GREAT games for gnu/linux.

you can even play some windows games too. someone game me halflife2, that works fine for me, war3 works fine, starcraft works fine.

gaming on gnu/linux is not as dead as some people think. now you cant play all games on gnu/linux, but most games are lame anyway. some really big titles should be ported though, like WOW and EQ2 and the warcraft 3 games.

nautilus
April 22nd, 2005, 07:53 PM
it's because companies rub bums with companies, so Sierra will suckle on Microsoft's proverbial teet, and vice-versa.

"Linux isn't a company.... who do we make agreements with for software development? Oh, but.. I want to make game... and money... oh ... patents, copyrights... I'm frightened! We'll release a Mac port instead!"

I think that's something like how it goes...

Ironically, the Linux user community dwarfs the MacOS community.

jdodson
April 22nd, 2005, 08:06 PM
it's because companies rub bums with companies, so Sierra will suckle on Microsoft's proverbial teet, and vice-versa.

"Linux isn't a company.... who do we make agreements with for software development? Oh, but.. I want to make game... and money... oh ... patents, copyrights... I'm frightened! We'll release a Mac port instead!"

I think that's something like how it goes...

you are totally right. "the man" is stupid. gnu/linux has a lively community and we want to game. the goods need to start coming in, my money is sitting idle.

poofyhairguy
April 22nd, 2005, 08:35 PM
st of games for linux and there are alof of games that come out every month .. so why arent there games out for linux .. and if there are , where are they ? :neutral:

Reasons for lack of games:

Too small of marketshare on the desktop (smaller than OSX and it has problems with a lack of ports)

Bad videocard drivers (especially ATI)

Be sure to see this though:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=5153&highlight=uber

poofyhairguy
April 22nd, 2005, 08:36 PM

Take away servers and thats not true. Games are a desktop OS activity.

Nis
April 22nd, 2005, 08:53 PM
It's kind of like a Catch-22 situation: big companies won't make games for Linux because they believe there isn't a marketshare but no marketshare can be proven because there are not enough games made for Linux. I praise id and Epic for making native Linux clients; if they continue and we buy their games then maybe the other companies will begin to see the market as big enough.

While you can use Wine/Cedega to run many Windows games on Linux I believe this is a bad idea. If you use these tools to run a Windows game then you are not showing support for Linux games by buying games that support Linux but instead you are supporting Windows games for that is what you are buying. If you can, hold out.

Brunellus
April 22nd, 2005, 11:08 PM
If you can, hold out.

I don't have a choice. I don't play twitch games, which seem to have been the only games considered worth porting to Linux.

If someone'd port, say, Rome: Total War, well, that's another story.

poofyhairguy
April 22nd, 2005, 11:49 PM
I don't have a choice. I don't play twitch games, which seem to have been the only games considered worth porting to Linux.

If someone'd port, say, Rome: Total War, well, that's another story.

Dual booting isn't that big of deal. I actually like it, because when I'm in Linux I actually DO work. Sometimes. More than in windows anyway....

Brunellus
April 23rd, 2005, 12:52 AM
Dual booting isn't that big of deal. I actually like it, because when I'm in Linux I actually DO work. Sometimes. More than in windows anyway....
Yeah, but dual-booting just feeds the MS Monster more. I would prefer not to do that. I'm already compelled to use MS at work, I'd like to limit it in my personal life.

That said, my next box will probably dual boot Ubuntu and Windows. Windows will be a *very* small partition indeed--small enough for .raw format conversion from my camera (pentax *istDS) and maybe a game or two.

dejavu
April 23rd, 2005, 10:11 PM
welll i gotto hand it to ID soft then .. they surely took a chance for putting linux port then .. or am i wrong ?

TravisNewman
April 23rd, 2005, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't say they took a chance really. It probably wasn't that hard to create an installer for their games in Linux, and the added benefit of a few million potential buyers is nice too. ;)

It's also debatable as to whether or not you can call them "ports." Since they had in mind the whole time to release versions for Windows and Linux, they wrote the game accordingly, and therefore they only had to compile it under Linux to get it to work-- granted, different bugs came up, as always happens on different platforms. They've made it clear that Windows is the most important platform, and that's fine-- they release on Windows a month or two before Linux because there are many times more buyers on Windows. They need to get the kinks worked out of that version before concentrating on the Linux version.

Motomouse
April 23rd, 2005, 11:00 PM
There are no games in linux, because that way i dont have to play them :wink:

While this statement is not true (both parts) I enjoy the relief from my gaming addiction anyway.

What about this argument: When I look at the software I am using in the Free Software World, I see

very good solutions for the things that truly matter. (That is stuff helping me getting my job done: word processing, spreadsheet handling, web authoring, photo editing, video editing, drawing, information management, programming tools, etc.)

and less answers to my gaming needs (while I like to play wesnoth or freeciv from time to time)

(By the way I still dual boot for gaming reasons, but managed to minimize my costs for new games, because tweaking my unix boxes is much more entertaining anyway)

regards
ralph

darkoptix
April 24th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Dualbooting ain't bad at all... That's what I do since I have a ATI card... Windows is gaming only, while linux would do everything else I do on the computer.