PDA

View Full Version : Is Microsoft ignoring Linux?

miceagol
October 31st, 2006, 10:21 PM
Today there was a Q&A session (http://tux1.aftenposten.no/nettprat/vista/) in one of Norway's largest newspapers, Aftenposten (http://www.aftenposten.no/), with the OEM executive director of Microsoft Norway answering questions about Windows Vista.

I posted the following question twice:

Hello, and congratulations with the coming release of a long awaited new Windows version.

My question conserns coordination of Windows and Linux on the same PC. Windows XP has been problematic to run in dual boot together with Linux. Will Windows Vista detect Linux partitions, and not just overwrite the boot sector like Windows XP does? As it is now, one can not install Windows after Linux, just the other way around.

There was no response... Is Microsoft ignoring Linux, and if true, why is it so?

And can any of you answer my question? ;)

SunnyRabbiera
October 31st, 2006, 10:25 PM
its not a matter of ingorance, its a matter of total domination.
Microsoft wants to make sure that anything else on your computer is eliminated except thier POS OS.
If anyone wants to try vista go ahead but make sure you have your linux backed up... so you can easily replace vista again afterwards :P

Smirre
October 31st, 2006, 11:49 PM
I'm keeping Vista well away from my computer until I absolutely, really, really need to install it. (Which is for games). I wish I wouldn't have to, but since DX10 isn't gonna be released for XP, there's little choice. :neutral:

And yes, Linux isn't exactly Microsofts favourite I guess, it eats into their market share. Of course they'd like everybody to use Windows.

Roobert
October 31st, 2006, 11:52 PM
I'm certified Microsoft free!! So no worries about Vista infiltration here, heh, heh...:-D

meng
October 31st, 2006, 11:53 PM
Microsoft is not ignoring Linux completely. However, I think it's fair to say that your issue doesn't affect enough of their userbase in a way that makes it worthwhile answering the question.

rfruth
October 31st, 2006, 11:55 PM
I bet M$oft wishes Linux would go away, its competition.

mahy
November 2nd, 2006, 11:51 AM
Well, to be fair, Dapper alternate installation (the only one i tried) wiped and replaced the MBR and i had to add windows entry manually by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst. The same is possible with windows bootloader.

Sukarn
November 4th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Hmm... given the theming and customisability of grub/lilo, who would want to use the Windows bootloader?

3rdalbum
November 4th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Microsoft isn't completely ignoring Linux. At least they give you instructions on how to delete Linux from your computer:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314458

AlphaMack
November 4th, 2006, 12:29 PM
MS is definitely not ignoring Linux; see the chit-chat re: Novell.

miceagol
November 4th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Microsoft isn't completely ignoring Linux. At least they give you instructions on how to delete Linux from your computer:

Lol! Good to hear... :D

And this seems to be the best MS can do:
"NOTE: Windows XP and Linux can coexist on the same computer. For additional information, refer to your Linux documentation."

miceagol
November 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM
MS is definitely not ignoring Linux; see the chit-chat re: Novell.

Ok, "ignoring Linux" can mean many things. Let me rephrase it to "Is Microsoft ignoring Linux with Windows?" ;)

Another thing that would have been nice to have in Windows could be e.g. Explorer being able to read Linux partitions. Would make coexistance of Windows and Linux a lot easier.

gruffy-06
November 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM
You can't have bundled support for Linux partitions in MS Windows because this will violate the GNU GPL - you cannot distribute GPL'ed software with propietary software.

We wish to avoid the danger that redistributors of a free
program will individually obtain patent licenses, in effect making the
program proprietary. To prevent this, we have made it clear that any
patent must be licensed for everyone's free use or not licensed at all.

GPL Version 2 - FSF

iovar
November 6th, 2006, 06:13 PM
You can't have bundled support for Linux partitions in MS Windows because this will violate the GNU GPL - you cannot distribute GPL'ed software with propietary software.

Nope. You can

In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
the scope of this License.

For all that matters they could put grub in the cd, if they wanted to.

And in case you didn't know, your very own ubuntu disk has some closed
firmware in it. And feisty will probably come with closed drivers, too.

What you've quoted simply states that if an already gpl'ed piece of code
obtains a patent, it will be free for everyone to use.

Plus, if microsoft ever includes support for booting linux
they will certainly write their own bootloader.

And they are not going to do so, unless some authority enforces them to.

InfernalPenguin
November 6th, 2006, 07:34 PM

why would you want to do that? :confused:

miceagol
November 6th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Only if someone buys a second hand computer with linux on it. :p

Reshin
November 7th, 2006, 08:14 PM

Maybe because not everybody likes linux?