PDA

View Full Version : Edgy Vs. Dapper

Ireclan
October 31st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Is it true that Edgy Eft uses a lot of applications that are currently in their beta stage of development? Which version would you reccommend given a choice between Edgy Eft or Dapper Drake?

aysiu
October 31st, 2006, 09:30 PM
Is it true that Edgy Eft uses a lot of applications that are currently in their beta stage of development? Which version would you reccommend given a choice between Edgy Eft or Dapper Drake?
If you're worried about stability, use Dapper.

I've had no problems with Edgy, but plenty of other people have.

PatrickMay16
October 31st, 2006, 09:39 PM
My opinion is, you should only really use Edgy if you want or need the most up to date stuff. Otherwise, Dapper is fine for you, and you might find the extra stability nice.

plb
October 31st, 2006, 09:40 PM
If you're looking for stability and don't care about somewhat out of date packages go with dapper. If you're looking for the latest and greatest, edgy is what you want. It also seems noteworthy to mention backports which are updated packages for dapper.

Ubunted
October 31st, 2006, 09:50 PM
I like Edgy but it doesn't like my wireless, so I'm stuck to Dapper for the time being.

B0rsuk
October 31st, 2006, 10:39 PM
Since when is non-beta software outdated ?

darkhatter
November 1st, 2006, 12:34 AM
nothing wrong with dapper, Edgy doesn't bring anything to the table that is worth upgrading for. I need the drivers provided in the 2.6.17 kernel so I updated. if you want something bleeding edge go with fedora core. Bleeding edge is more the just version numbers.

Roobert
November 1st, 2006, 12:57 AM
If you have an ATI driver, run for cover. Yes some people have managed to get Edgy working with their ATI drivers, but I never could get mine working after 5 days. I've reverted to Dapper for now, and will probably take a very conservative tack when future releases come out.

Ireclan
November 1st, 2006, 01:26 AM
Wow. That was fast. Thankyou, those of you that have replied thus far. Though I now have a few opinions on which release is better for me, I must say- the data is quite confusing! While most of the posts I've read seem to indicate Dapper Drake is the way to go, the poll results contradict this, indicating that 42 people believe Edgy Eft is the way I should go to Dapper Drakes' mear 17. I suppose I shall just have to wait for more opinions to surface...

plb
November 1st, 2006, 01:28 AM
Since when is non-beta software outdated ?

It's outdated when new versions are out :o gnome 2.16 for instance isn't beta but that is in edgy where as dapper has 2.14

shining
November 1st, 2006, 01:32 AM
Wow. That was fast. Thankyou, those of you that have replied thus far. Though I now have a few opinions on which release is better for me, I must say- the data is quite confusing! While most of the posts I've read seem to indicate Dapper Drake is the way to go, the poll results contradict this, indicating that 42 people believe Edgy Eft is the way I should go to Dapper Drakes' mear 17. I suppose I shall just have to wait for more opinions to surface...

I believe the first three comments say it all.

chaosgeisterchen
November 2nd, 2006, 12:33 AM
My suggestion is:

Try out Edgy thoroughly. Try to get everything to work fine. If you fail do not become desperate but just try to get everything to work using Dapper. If that fails as well I would suggest to continue using Edgy and try to submit a bug on launchpad hoping that it will be resolved soon afterwards. If the drawbacks are crucial with both versions you should go and try other distributions. I hope they will fit your expectations.

raqball
November 2nd, 2006, 12:38 AM
In my opinion anyone asking this question is better off with Dapper LTS... :)

I think the poll is worng and you have to know that many uninformed users may have voted for Edgy just because it is the new release :)

spinflick
November 2nd, 2006, 12:51 AM
What's the point of the latest if it dont work?

aysiu
November 2nd, 2006, 12:57 AM
What's the point of the latest if it dont work?
Works fine for me.

NeoGreen
November 2nd, 2006, 01:06 AM
Man, I am still using Breezy Badger. I went through alot to get my laptop running correctly (internal wireless card, memory, apps installed). I am kinda afraid to upgrade:neutral: I am also learning a lot as I go. Maybe if I do upgrade it may be Dapper.

spinflick
November 2nd, 2006, 01:36 AM
Works fine for me.

Well Im pleased for you, but this forum suggests that its not working for most that upgrade.

jpeddicord
November 2nd, 2006, 01:37 AM
I definitely would have said Edgy if there were no wireless problems.

:-k

darkhatter
November 2nd, 2006, 01:38 AM
I did a fresh install and it doesn't work for me, but I think its my hardware drivers that are giving me the problems, cause no one else has mentioned anything I'm going through.

wpwood3
November 2nd, 2006, 02:59 AM
Dapper was bulletproof for me but Edgy has been a pain!

- The VNC remote desktop, vino, forgets your password each time you reboot or restart the desktop.

- Samba is inconsistent in finding and connecting to shares

- the Gnome keyring refuses to remember passwords for Samba shares.

These are things I use all the time and they worked perfectly in Dapper.
If you intend to do serious work then install Dapper.
If you want to play around with the latest and greatest but don't mind a few bumps then use Edgy.

cor2y
November 16th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Edgy, for the latest versions of dev libs and apps.
Dapper for stability.

On Edgy I could compile or install the latest versons of my favorite apps but man crashing was a dialy thing, whether it was nautilus or gedit or a media player.
Went running back to dapper.
Incase anyone was wondering i went the upgrade route and not the full re-install with an alternative/desktop disc.

Paul41
November 16th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I like Edgy for some of it's more updated programs. Like aysiu I haven't had any problems.

earobinson
November 16th, 2006, 09:08 PM
haven't had ne problems and I love newer so im loving it. only complaint would be the new rythmbox gui

DC@DR
November 16th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Definitely I will stick with Dapper for a while for its ultra-stability. I will consider an upgrade when Feisty Fawn is released :)

Bigbluecat
November 16th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I would not go by poll results to make a choice like this. Review the forums and decide if you want stability or latest apps and perhaps a little bit of edgy fun. I'm one of the lucky ones with no problems. Upgraded with dist-upgrade and the alternate CD.

qalimas
November 16th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I'm usually one of the guys who's up at 5am waiting for the ISO for the newest CD. However... Edgy doesn't seem to be that great, I haven't tried it out of (for the first time with any distro) complete satisfaction from Dapper. I don't see a reason to upgrade, as Dapper is ROCK solid and still is able to run the latest KDE =)

maagimies
November 16th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Edgy has been nice to me, and has offered great benefits, but I know that it hasn't been as nice to some others.
And for me, Edgy actually fixed some things that were broken for me in Dapper; now my KControl in Kubuntu is more localised to my language than it was in Dapper, which is weird because in other distros with earlier KDE versions it was almost 100% localised :D
So Edgy fixed some bugs but brought some new ones, and you should try it to see if it works for you.