PDA

View Full Version : Media Player blowout!

dca
October 31st, 2006, 06:43 PM
Just looking for ideas... Ubuntu comes pre-installed w/ (1) Totem Movie Player which can play CDs, movies, etc (2) Rhythmbox Music Player which can play CDs, MP3s, etc, etc (3) Serpentine dealie which can extract (rip) CDs, play CDs, etc. Is there a single Media Player out there that can do all these things and which one do you recommend?

dca
October 31st, 2006, 06:45 PM
err: sorry, meant Sound Juicer for extracting, but heck throw in the other also...

TheWizzard
October 31st, 2006, 10:24 PM
i don't think there's a one-for-all application. linux is build modular.
for playing music you want to check amarok or, if you're a diehard gnome adept, listen.

bastiegast
October 31st, 2006, 10:32 PM
i don't think there's a one-for-all application. linux is build modular.
for playing music you want to check amarok or, if you're a diehard gnome adept, listen.

I prefer banshee, but ill try listen some day..

nalmeth
November 1st, 2006, 01:05 AM
Kaffeine can do all the things mentioned

d3v1ant_0n3
November 1st, 2006, 01:19 AM
I'm quite liking Songbird at the moment, but it's still very buggy- I have trouble with video playback.

Kaffiene doesn't seem to get on with Beryl on my system (kills the WM).

Amarok is great, but REALLY eats resources for about 2 mins after starting it.(For me at least.)

plb
November 1st, 2006, 01:20 AM
Just looking for ideas... Ubuntu comes pre-installed w/ (1) Totem Movie Player which can play CDs, movies, etc (2) Rhythmbox Music Player which can play CDs, MP3s, etc, etc (3) Serpentine dealie which can extract (rip) CDs, play CDs, etc. Is there a single Media Player out there that can do all these things and which one do you recommend?

Songbird will be able to do all that in the future.

banjobacon
November 1st, 2006, 01:44 AM
Rhythmbox can do everything you listed (and burn audio CDs, which you did not mention), except play videos.

Do you really want your music player to play videos?

plb
November 1st, 2006, 01:52 AM
Rhythmbox can do everything you listed (and burn audio CDs, which you did not mention), except play videos.

Do you really want your music player to play videos?

He said "media player" :p

kuja
November 1st, 2006, 02:54 AM
I'm quite liking Songbird at the moment, but it's still very buggy- I have trouble with video playback.

Amarok is great, but REALLY eats resources for about 2 mins after starting it.(For me at least.)

Amarok does take a fair amount of resources, then again, so do many other players. Amarok, for me, takes up about 65MB of RAM while playing, about 50MB idle. Then again, I have the resources to spare, but unlike some other resource demanding apps out there, amarok delivers :)

Polygon
November 1st, 2006, 05:55 AM
songbird is looking very promising, but alas it is only beta right now and we still have to wait, but it is looking good

kuja
November 1st, 2006, 06:24 AM

When it crashes or whatnot for you, is it when you attempt video playbacK? If so, try changing the video driver to opengl, or really, anything other than xv.

TheWizzard
November 1st, 2006, 07:17 AM

at startup amarok automatically scans the folders with your music files. just diable automatic scanning.

i use amarok on an old amd athlon without any resource problem.

dca
November 1st, 2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback people. The whole purpose is to dumb down an Ubuntu to the point where no matter what a user (chances are, a user who knows very little about computers in general) decides to do: pop in a CD, pop in a DVD, view a video file, burn a music CD, or etc only one (maybe two) apps will open eliminating any confusion as far as this for that and that for this. I realize I can go into the set-up and change the default apps to open with but their are other reasons on top of the multi-media thing...