PDA

View Full Version : Hm. I know what we should do... [Dropping Cds?]

Chicken001
October 31st, 2006, 06:27 AM
*Hopes to not get Flamed*

But, I wonder what people would do... If in local retail stores, people dropped Ubuntu LTS 6.06 from ShipIt, that they've ordered (Any extras) just randomly around.

Like for example, in BestBuy, Futureshop, Circuit City etc.
Or put the cd infront of Windows software with a note, "Why pay $200 for Windows when Ubuntu is free? Take this cd for free, a full working operating system."

I mean, xD free Cds laying around, if I saw it, i'd take it home and see what it is. This probably is a stupid idea but the general population that doesn't know squat about a computer have no clue that you can get an operating system that rivals Windows XP for free. This could boost Ubuntu by just a margin but, just an idea from no one...

I know there are projects around on this forums about Posters and stuff but, dropping Ubuntu Cd's all over town is another way? Dunno. xD ](*,)

Sef
October 31st, 2006, 06:33 AM
Most likely the disc would be tossed out by the staff. Best way to increase Ubuntu (and Linux) usage is to show it to your friends who are having problems with malware.

Chicken001
October 31st, 2006, 06:36 AM
Ooh.

Well, thats already done. xD And, one friend suggest Ubuntu to me, I tossed my burnd Cd of Suse and tried Ubuntu, been using it ever since.

Adrenal
October 31st, 2006, 07:15 AM
Why just in retail stores? I think someone suggested McDonalds a while back :P

slimdog360
October 31st, 2006, 07:53 AM
Sorta like the whole leave a book on a bench until a person picks it up, reads it and leaves it somewhere else for someone else to read.
Some nut job would probably start leaving their own cd's full of viruses and no ubuntu for dull XP users to try out.