PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bittorrent client...

joeljkp
October 30th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I'm looking for a bittorrent client that matches the following specifications:

CLI or curses GUI, or daemon
UPnP
dynamic DNS support (outside IP detection, updating, etc.)

Any suggestions?

mahy
October 30th, 2006, 08:37 PM

UPnP

Any suggestions?

I thought Azureus does the trick, doesn't it? Even DDNS with some plugins, AFAIK.

kalle314
October 30th, 2006, 08:54 PM

UPnP

Any suggestions?

rTorrent!

It is a great ncurses client!
I donīt know about UPnP or DNS though, as I haven't cared to learn those abbreviations.

puppy
October 30th, 2006, 09:08 PM
azureus can be a terrible resource hog - while other clients burble away in the background azureus seems to grab my entire bandwidth (I can hardly browse, even when its only downloading at 10k or so) - I wanted to try ktorrent but can't get it to work under Gnome (it's not in the repos either...)

Kateikyoushi
October 30th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I second rtorrent, but look for the newest version, the one in the repos is half a year old.

GeneralZod
October 30th, 2006, 09:34 PM
azureus can be a terrible resource hog - while other clients burble away in the background azureus seems to grab my entire bandwidth (I can hardly browse, even when its only downloading at 10k or so) - I wanted to try ktorrent but can't get it to work under Gnome (it's not in the repos either...)

The very latest release of KTorrent (2.0.3) should be available in the backports repository - I know because I installed mine from there :)

KaroSHi
October 30th, 2006, 09:58 PM
The very latest release of KTorrent (2.0.3) should be available in the backports repository - I know because I installed mine from there :)

^^ i can second this, ive been using ktorrent for a few months now, very happy with its performance. Its kind of like abc/utorrent.

jdong
November 1st, 2006, 01:28 AM
KTorrent works great from GNOME for me. For some GNOME configurations, you need to first run "kdeinit", then start ktorrent. Do this if the tray icon for KTorrent doesn't show up, or shows up in unexpected places.

Hemmer
November 17th, 2006, 09:48 PM
does anyone know of a lightweight bittorrent client like uTorrent (for windows)?

Choad
November 17th, 2006, 09:51 PM
does anyone know of a lightweight bittorrent client like uTorrent (for windows)?
deluge is trying to be that, but its still under pretty heavy development. backend is libtorrent, written in c++ and very light, front end is trying to stay light but add enough creature comforts. written in python. its developed for the ubuntu project too :D

i use it, and it is not getting the speeds i want. apparently thats because DHT support is not enabled yet. in the next release (a few weeks down the line?) it will be enabled. apparently you will be getting very respectable speeds out of it then

zekt0r
November 17th, 2006, 09:52 PM
You might want to give Transmission a try, itīs really good.
http://transmission.m0k.org/

mazirian
November 17th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Does deluge have a project page anywhere? Oh, and, yeah, rtorrent is my favorite bt client.

Dirty Ole
November 17th, 2006, 09:53 PM
deluge. Search for it in the forum.

Henry Rayker
November 17th, 2006, 09:56 PM
rTorrent is VERY lightweight. text only, but once you get the hang of it, it is incredibly sweet.

zachtib
November 17th, 2006, 10:44 PM
deluge is trying to be that, but its still under pretty heavy development. backend is libtorrent, written in c++ and very light, front end is trying to stay light but add enough creature comforts. written in python. its developed for the ubuntu project too :D

i use it, and it is not getting the speeds i want. apparently thats because DHT support is not enabled yet. in the next release (a few weeks down the line?) it will be enabled. apparently you will be getting very respectable speeds out of it then

Actually, 0.4 (with DHT support) is slated to be out next week. There are debs on the project page of 0.4rc1. It got pushed out a little earlier than we had originally planned because a couple of goals got deffered until the next release because they required massive code rewrites.

Does deluge have a project page anywhere? Oh, and, yeah, rtorrent is my favorite bt client.

Deluge's project page is http://deluge-torrent.org, and we have a support forum here at ubuntuforums.org, check my sig for a link.

That said, Deluge doesn't currently have all the features that the OP asked for, in particular the ncurses interface. However, it's my primary goal for the 0.5 development cycle to daemonize the backend so that it can run independent of the user interface, at which point it should fulfill your needs nicely.