PDA

View Full Version : PDF document in Virtual Memory on Kubuntu Live CD.

kagashe
October 30th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Hi,

Today, I don't have a working Hard Disc on my Laptop and I am using Kubuntu Live CD. I don't have any printer and I generally save the documents to be printed in PDF and mail them to a friend for printing.

I had booked a rail ticket and when I reached the printing stage I was amazed to find that I could print as PDF and save it on the home folder which is located in the virtual memory.

I could also mail the document to my friend.

Why do we need Hard Discs?

kagashe

darkhatter
October 30th, 2006, 05:36 PM
cause when you reset all the information gets erased

blissfulpenguin
October 30th, 2006, 05:37 PM
:KS
I agree completely! I am doing some house-sitting for a friend, and I simply wanted privacy to use the web on their computer, so I brought my cable modem (they have the same cable provider), a live CD of Ubuntu, and whammo! The virtual memory seems to do it all. I am amazed at the stability of the kernel even when it is being squeezed for space!

Loving Ubuntu!

8) :D :)

p.s. Hard disk space can provide additional security by enabling cryptography. Usually the same technology can be applied to any kind of drive including a usb pen-drive. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that in a lot of cases in home-computing the same results could be acheived WITHOUT A HARD DRIVE!