PDA

View Full Version : Xgl vs Aiglx: which is faster?

elettronicha
October 30th, 2006, 09:48 AM
In your opinion or feelings, which is faster or flowing between Xgl and Aiglx (both with Beryl or with Compiz)?
Please report your video card, too.

firetux
October 30th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Aiglx generally is faster. The overall design is better too, and it is included in xorg 7.1.

mushroom
October 30th, 2006, 11:04 AM
If you're using NVidia, stick with XGL. The beta drivers are ridiculously slow.

woedend
October 30th, 2006, 12:43 PM
uh...what exactly do you base this statement on? Beta drivers are not slow here...
and don't stick with XGL in any case, it was meant as a temporary hack of sorts(which ifeel bad for saying, as it did A LOT for graphics)

elettronicha
October 30th, 2006, 01:48 PM
As far as I know, technically:

-Xgl is a Xorg fork, which replaces the whole X server
-Aiglx is a Xorg extension and can be (un)loaded as your wishes

-Xgl is supported by Novell
-Aiglx is supported by everyone

-Xgl delegates some functions to Mesa libraries and doesn't require drivers (often proprietary) supporting specific extensions
-Aiglx delegates everything to drivers, so driver and video card role are central matters

-Xgl runs upon a runnign X server, so two graphical servers are running in the same moment
-Aiglx is a simple extension and doesn't weigh down X

blitzer
October 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Hello,

Can't seem to get beryl running at the moment (it was sporadic in Dapper)causing 100% cpu usage when launched from sessions on startup. I have to shut down the process then nav to the folder and launch it to no avail. I have noticed that emerald didn't download or install. I used this How to: Install/Ubuntu/Edgy/AiGLX
(http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Install/Ubuntu/Edgy/AiGLX)

I will try and use the repos to download and install unless someone has a better way :-k

chaosgeisterchen
October 30th, 2006, 03:49 PM
If you're using NVidia, stick with XGL. The beta drivers are ridiculously slow.

The run very fast with most of the people.

oblivion
October 30th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'm on a nvidia FX 5900 card using beryl, and Xgl was running so much faster and smoother on my pc. Aiglx is so _very_ badly sluggish at times that i don't think it's usable at all on my system.

maniacmusician
October 31st, 2006, 01:36 AM
that's because drivers for linux are crap. With XGL, the XGL part is doing much of the stuff that the graphics driver is supposed to be doing. AIGLX assumes that drivers actually work and relies on them to do things properly.

spockrock
October 31st, 2006, 01:58 AM
I use beryl, with the beta nvidia drivers. Runs perfectly smooth except for the occasional black window, on two computers, on both the low end system I get better performance on the new system umm, I cant really tell the difference, but I get better memory usage and better cpu usage.

System 1:
P4 1.4 w/ 256 MB of rdram
Edgy, Xubuntu
Nvidia FX 5600
1600x1200

sufficed to say Beryl and the nvidia driver runs better on dapper xubuntu with xgl and compiz-quinn.

System 2:
AMD X2 3800+ @2.6GHZ
2GB of DDR520
Edgy, Ubuntu
7800 GT
3200x1200 AA:0x AF: 1x

Noticeably the system compared to xgl and the beta nvidia driver, is as follows, uses 200MB less of ram. Video playback, with XGL my system played video back perfectly but at 60% on overall usage, with the beta driver around 10%, with perfect video playback.

Granted these were hardly scientific, but if anyone wants I am willing to run xgl or no xgl and give you hard benchmarks, frame rates, memory usage, video playback if you like.

-edit- I have never run aiglx I am comparing my experience with xgl and nvidia beta drivers.

darkhatter
October 31st, 2006, 03:32 AM
just get a nvidia card and don't use Xgl or aiglx :D

spockrock
October 31st, 2006, 03:53 AM

QFT

greggh
October 31st, 2006, 03:59 AM

Huh?

darkhatter
October 31st, 2006, 04:02 AM
if you have a Nvidia card you can run beryl with out using Xgl or Aiglx. That has nothing to do with the thread, but I love looking at my avatar so I like to post random jazz :-D

woedend
October 31st, 2006, 04:58 AM
er...with the nvidia drivers, you are still using AIGLX.
it was merged into xorg 7.1.

darkhatter
October 31st, 2006, 05:08 AM
I thought it didn't....guess I'm wrong

spockrock
October 31st, 2006, 05:47 AM
yes it was merged into xorg 7.1 however I believe, in your xorg.conf you have to enable aiglx. The nvidia driver adds GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, which allows beryl or compiz to run without aiglx or xgl.

plx correct me if I am wrong.

Cynical
October 31st, 2006, 05:57 AM
No, aiglx is enabled by default and what nvidia added was required for any compositing manager to work with aiglx, since it depends on driver support. An easy way to remember is just to think of what aiglx stands for, Accelerated Indirect GLX.

And I wouldn't call XGL a hack, usually that implies that it was simple or dirty. Though it is just temporary. From the wikipedia article,

Xegl

Xegl is the future of Xgl and a long term goal of X server development. The Xegl server will share much of the drawing code with the Xglx server, except that the initialization of the OpenGL drawable and context management is handled by the Embedded GL specification, referred to as EGL API. The current implementation uses Mesa-solo to provide OpenGL rendering directly to the Linux framebuffer or DRI to the graphics hardware. As of August 2005 Xegl can only be run using Radeon R200 graphics hardware and development has currently been delayed. It is likely that it will remain so until the Xglx server has proven itself and the closed source drivers add support for the EGL API, in which case it should be a transparent replacement for the nested Xglx server.

spockrock
October 31st, 2006, 06:03 AM
ok I stand corrected....thanks.... well then I prefer aiglx less resource intensive, but wouldn't mind giving xegl a whirl when its ready.

chaosgeisterchen
October 31st, 2006, 08:40 AM
Hmh.. will we ever see XOrg version 8 ?

Or will XEGL1.0 be released before that..

mushroom
October 31st, 2006, 09:03 AM
On my GeForce FX 5550 (128MB) using the beta drivers, AIGLX wasn't necessarily slow as much as it was choppy. Using XGL without the beta drivers it's the same speed, but it runs much more smoothly. That was my experience, anyway.

elettronicha
October 31st, 2006, 10:27 AM
I'm on an ATI mobility radeon 9700 using the open source 'radeon' driver and installed AIGLX + Beryl.
I find the system is quite responsive in animations, and all that stuff provided by Beryl, when using both aiglx and beryl (though obviously system is much faster with common X server + common KDE window manager Kwin), but is a bit sluggish when for example I scroll web pages.
May I need to modify something more in xorg.conf?

Never used Xgl.

nbound
October 31st, 2006, 12:19 PM
AIGLX runs awesomely on my nvidia 6600 DDR2 512MB :D

DJ Wings
October 31st, 2006, 01:09 PM
Where can I download a copy of AIGLX? Where's the repository? I know Ubuntu's repositories have XGL, but I've decided to switch.

nbound
October 31st, 2006, 01:11 PM
Its part of xorg 7.1 so if your running edgy (which you are) you already have it :D

elettronicha
October 31st, 2006, 05:27 PM
Are Beryl and Compiz quite similar in perfomances?

woedend
October 31st, 2006, 10:02 PM
compiz vanilla will appear much faster,initially at least, at least to me. but thats because beryl is a juggernaut with everything enabled.

user1397
October 31st, 2006, 10:29 PM
On edgy, I installed XGL + Beryl using this guide: http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Install/Ubuntu/Edgy/XGL

and I enabled my ati fglrx driver before that using this guide: http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Install_ATI_driver

elettronicha
November 1st, 2006, 10:39 AM
What card do you have? And are you satisfied of system performances with Beryl?

chaosgeisterchen
November 1st, 2006, 12:03 PM
AIGLX runs quite smooth here but XGL ran much smoother before that.

user1397
November 1st, 2006, 10:05 PM
What card do you have? And are you satisfied of system performances with Beryl?if you mean me, i have an ati radeon x1600 pro 512 mb agp card. beryl runs very smoothly here, and its fast, until i start going crazy with the water effects.

bruce89
November 1st, 2006, 10:14 PM
Xgl vs Aiglx: which is faster?

The question shouldn't be which is faster, but which is better.

AIGLX wins, as it is in X.org now, and isn't a hack. Also DRI works with AIGLX (in other words 3D apps will work at the same time as Beryl et al.)

chaosgeisterchen
November 2nd, 2006, 12:29 AM
AIGLX has proven superiority.

toallpointswest
November 2nd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Have to say that I'm impressed with AIGLX/Beryl. I'm running it on a Duron 1.3GHz, 1.5GB SDRAM, an ATI Radeon 64 VIVO (7200 series chipset), and the opensource Radeon driver and it's very smooth. From the menus wiggle/fading in and out, to the transparency, and even the desktop switching..smooth as silk. My only problem is that X freezes when I try to log out, but I havent' troubleshot that error yet.

xdevnull
November 4th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I ran xgl/compiz on my averatec 1050 with a intel 855GM card when it first became available in Suse 10.1. It was reasonably quick, but the install was messy and I had a lot of gnome/kde weirdness.

I just installed Edgy, and am enjoying it and would like to give the latest stuff a whirl so my question is:

Should I use aiglx instead, since the intel drivers are probably well supported? Will that likely be as fast/faster?

Also - should I use compiz or beryl? I enjoyed compiz (except that you couldn't shade windows), but I don't know much about beryl. Also, I don't want to run all the effects one might try on a desktop. Wobbly windows are okay, but I'm more interested in the transparancy, cube and app switcher.

Thanks

steveneddy
November 5th, 2006, 05:21 AM
I like XGL - no problems here.

nVidia GeForce 5200, beryl....I guess all this is in my sig.

-SE

**EDIT**
For those of you keeping score at home, this was my 100th post.

joshuapurcell
November 7th, 2006, 06:12 AM
The only one I've tried is XGL, but it was when it first came out. I wonder how much of an affect (if any) the recent Novell/Microsoft agreements will have on people's decision between these two technologies.

I personally was leaning towards AIGLX anyway because of the integration with the already-existing X.org project, and now that this MS/Novell deal has been announced I'm leaning in that direction even more.

By the way, Beryl looks great... can't wait to try it out when I get my next computer.

songochain
January 6th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I'm on an ATI mobility radeon 9700 using the open source 'radeon' driver and installed AIGLX + Beryl.
I find the system is quite responsive in animations, and all that stuff provided by Beryl, when using both aiglx and beryl (though obviously system is much faster with common X server + common KDE window manager Kwin), but is a bit sluggish when for example I scroll web pages.
May I need to modify something more in xorg.conf?

Never used Xgl.

I cant use open source radeon driver because cpu fan is always 100% (in my laptop). How do u get work aiglx with your 9700??