PDA

View Full Version : So What version of Ubuntu is everybody using?

ScottMorris
October 30th, 2006, 07:28 AM
In light of the release of 6.10 I though it would be cool to see what everyone was using.

Edit: What has been your favourite version so far and why?

I liked Dapper over Breezy, it was a lot easier to use, and I think Edgy keeps up the tradition of ease of use...except for some minor bugs. :o

Uncle Spellbinder
October 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Edgy Eft. Pertinent info in my signature.

Tamil
October 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM
I like Edgy over Dapper.

gerowen
October 30th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Edgy is my first Ubuntu release, well "technically" Dapper was, but I only used it for like two hours before I found out that I had downloaded it only 3 hours before Edgy was set to be released, so I don't really count Dapper.

argie
October 30th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I'm using Dapper. I will upgrade with Feisty.

Zdravko
October 30th, 2006, 09:33 AM
I use Edgy. But in the "feisty-sub forum" I know a person, who uses already edgy+1. Dunno how is that possible.

eriqk
October 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Dapper on my work machines, Edgy on my laptop.

Groet, Erik

MaximB
October 30th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I am using edgy now...but I don't see that a big progress was made since dapper...really, all this upgrade but not many new things.
I'm not counting the programs which you can get from the Internet and have no issues with ubuntu at all.
sorry for this example, but it's NOT like you upgrade windows 98 to xp.
I hope the next ubuntu release do the trick.

Gustav
October 30th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I'm running Dapper right now but will upgrade whenever I got a spare minute.

kerry_s
October 30th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I'm using edgy-server-install+xfce4, not xubuntu, just xfce4.

beniwtv
October 30th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Edgy, and it rocks!

I still can't believe this OS is free... :mrgreen:

Waiting for Feisty now.... :D

raqball
October 30th, 2006, 12:30 PM
6.06 here :)

ProjectGod
October 30th, 2006, 12:43 PM
holy moley where did all you lot get edgy from ? it's only been like 4 days since it came out. (6 months gone already!!!! OMG!). i'm still using breezy bad badger. why? cause he's sexy. and i'm not too fond of new releases. besides technology is speeding towards a cliff's edge and need to slow down a bit.

Kateikyoushi
October 30th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Edgy and I will stcik with it for a while, patch and compile the kernel and see what else can be tweaked on it to my liking.

Shay Stephens
October 30th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I am using edgy, and it is my favorite. I have used dapper and breezy.

SunnyRabbiera
October 30th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Dapper for now, I will probably keep dapper until:
A: Edgy becomes more developed, I know patience is a virtue and sometimes "Latest" doesnt always mean "greatest"
B: The end of support for dapper, I can always upstream whenever I want and keep my system current for as long as possible.
C: I get another computer, I want to have this computer for a while though so I dont think this will happen for a bit.
D: Until I deem Edgy "ready", Like I said I want development for Edgy to get all the bugs out, I used this for dapper and I will use it for edgy.

Zdravko
October 30th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I am just curious - who was the one lucky guy with Edgy+1 testing it?

Edgy+ 1http://ubuntuforums.org/images/polls/bar1-l.gifhttp://ubuntuforums.org/images/polls/bar1.gifhttp://ubuntuforums.org/images/polls/bar1-r.gif 1 (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=1114)1.23%

EdThaSlayer
October 30th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I wish i could upgrade to efty...but my internet connection is kind of slow and i need to get a new source list(which is easy i know...but its just me that is lazy)

bastiegast
October 30th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Using Edgy, but I regret it a little bit since I ran in some problems

I am using edgy now...but I don't see that a big progress was made since dapper...really, all this upgrade but not many new things.
I'm not counting the programs which you can get from the Internet and have no issues with ubuntu at all.
sorry for this example, but it's NOT like you upgrade windows 98 to xp.
I hope the next ubuntu release do the trick.

Indeed but i didnt expect it to be. How long did it took M$ to develop XP? Let alone Vista. I mean this release came only half a year after dapper.

Btw. feisty plans look promising.

fguilhon
October 30th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Dapper...
I'm waiting for the community feedback! :p And then, will upgrade.

wpwood3
October 30th, 2006, 04:12 PM
After using Edgy for a few days I would NOT recommend upgrading yet. Dapper is a solid release...Edgy is not there yet!

Problems I have seen so far:

1) Samba is flaky. The icons come and go. Sometimes you can connect and sometimes not.

2) The keyring does not work properly. Passwords are not saved in Samba.

3) The VNC (Vino) Remote Desktop deletes your password when you reboot.

All of these seem to be known bugs. Hopefully they will be fixed in updates soon.

ScottMorris
October 30th, 2006, 10:16 PM
It seems that even with the few problems with 6.10, a lot have already upgraded to Edgy. I like Dapper for its stability but its kind of like Windows XP, it is in mass use and it still is FULL of holes........ but I'm not saying Edgy is XP it is far from it, in fact its light-years from it.

Animortis
October 30th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Dapper while I wait a month or so for Edgy to get its post-launch bugs hammered out.

lazyart
October 30th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I'll forgo Edgy and stick with Dapper. I'm too newb to discern a bug from my own incompetence. :)

reiki
October 31st, 2006, 01:41 AM
Your poll didn't allow me to select both Dapper AND Edgy! :)

I have Dapper as my main still on sda1 and Edgy is on hda1. Grub lets me decide at boot time. I really like a whole lot of things about Edgy but it's not (and I don't think it was INTENDED to be) a primary, solid, dependable OS as I have found Dapper to be. Edgy is fun but I am having to do a lot of stuff to get it where I want it. I've reinstalled it 3 times now because I've managed to screw things up so bad.

BUT.... it has a lot of nice features and once the bugs are shaken out I think it will be a nice primary OS.

Compucore
October 31st, 2006, 01:50 AM
One of my main desktops is ubuntu 6.06 along with my laptop. THe only one that i have lower than that is my Aptiva. I'll used Hoarty or Breazy if I want to stick with the gnome style of things. But ocassionally I have tried Xubuntu on it whioch is a lighter version of dapper. I prefer my gnome interface. But I am also used to the xubuntu interface as well as an alternative if need be as a backup to the others.

I guess it also depends on which computer your using to put ubuntu on it. So the version will vary with the system in question. But that is me. Needs to be flexible with what one has for computers.

Compucore.

ScottMorris
October 31st, 2006, 02:52 AM
As of the writing of this post there is no one who uses Warty 4.10 or Hoary 5.04, I know their support has be discontinued but maybe they were like Windows 98 (and maybe ME, but no one liked that one..except me..) and people used them out of no need to upgrade.

Toontwnca
October 31st, 2006, 02:57 AM
Was on Edgy.
I swithced back to Dapper.
I'm currently experimenting with a server install
and some other stuff to get me up and running.
So far so good.

d3v1ant_0n3
October 31st, 2006, 03:01 AM
Using Edgy, been using it for a while. Not had a problem I haven't caused myself.

rocknrolf77
October 31st, 2006, 03:07 AM
Same here for edgy, not a problem I've not caused myself. And I haven't caused any problems myself so "zero" prob. :)

TrailerTrash
October 31st, 2006, 03:23 AM
As of the writing of this post there is no one who uses Warty 4.10 or Hoary 5.04, I know their support has be discontinued but maybe they were like Windows 98 (and maybe ME, but no one liked that one..except me..) and people used them out of no need to upgrade.

I like Windows ME. I have it on a laptop and its very solid. I use it everyday. Linux hates this laptop.

ScottMorris
October 31st, 2006, 03:59 AM
Finally another to like ME, I never had any problems with it, but everyone else has *high five*

basketcase
October 31st, 2006, 05:35 AM
6.06 on my notebook now for a while.

I did put Edgy on a box I was trying to get MythTV to work on. I didn't see a big difference between Edgy and Dapper. Probably stick with Dapper for a little while longer.

Polygon
October 31st, 2006, 05:57 AM
im gonna stick with dapper for a while because ive already had bad experiences with upgrading to edgy...

and dapper is perfectly stable for me... and most of the changes in edgy are "under the hood", so i wont be able to notice it anyway.

but feisty i believe is going to be a must have upgrade as its going to focus on improvements that we can actually see :D

thiebaude
October 31st, 2006, 06:03 AM
My first was dapper 6.06 and I just upgraded to 6.10 edgy

mdsmedia
October 31st, 2006, 06:23 AM
I've got my Notebook running Dapper (formerly Breezy and Hoary). My Desktop, which is almost neglected at the moment, still has a very vanilla Breezy on it.

When I get the time I'll install Edgy on it just to have a look.

Not given the choice to vote for both I went with Dapper.

ScottMorris
October 31st, 2006, 06:28 AM
Its interesting the number of people who are using more than one version at the same time, that is cool. \\:D/ Goes to show that even the older versions are alive and well and how much longevity the distribution has :D

Dr. C
October 31st, 2006, 06:36 AM
I am running Dapper on my desktop and just upgraded my laptop from Win XP to Edgy. I did not vote in the poll since I am running two different versions of Ubuntu at the same time on production systems.

firenewt
October 31st, 2006, 07:23 AM
Dapper. No way i'm doing an 'upgrade', only a clean install, and since I don't feel like repeating all the tweaks all over again and finding they may be done differently now, I don't think I will bother with edgy.

ProjectGod
October 31st, 2006, 11:10 AM
lol i'm the only person using breezy. :D

steven8
October 31st, 2006, 11:35 AM
I liked ME a lot. I get picked on for that.

I am using Dapper 6.06

Gandalf6696
October 31st, 2006, 12:08 PM
I am using Edgy and when I get wine working on a few apps I will ditch Windows XP

nbound
October 31st, 2006, 12:22 PM
Been using Ubuntu since 5.10... Running Edgy atm its great got it all tweaked awesomely and have beryl running too :D... having next to 0 problems with crashes bugs or errors...

Whose using edgy+1? Is it even semi-stable yet?

daou
October 31st, 2006, 12:29 PM
Dapper until I get my laptop (>2 months and waiting) where I'll stick Edgy. I'd have too much to backup and reinstall/reconfigure on my Dapper desktop, too little time to do it in right now. And, of course, an important project going on which requires a stable OS at home.

Zdravko
October 31st, 2006, 12:35 PM
Whose using edgy+1? Is it even semi-stable yet?

No, but I am just curious to find out who are these 3 lucky people testing Feisty Fawn...

Johnsie
October 31st, 2006, 12:39 PM
I'm using Edgy...

There have been a few small Fiesty releases already. Usually they start releasing more stuff shortly after the conference. What they release in the early stagess is usually very broken stuff so you're best not testing it on a computer whith important data on it. Still it can be kinda fun for people who like messing around with things.

Here is the thread about the new version: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=287270&page=4

But remember... it's very early and a lot of stuff will be brokwne.

kanpachi
October 31st, 2006, 12:48 PM
Still using Dapper
I tried Edgy, and it was giving me a few problems, so i re-installed Dapper which works great for me
i'll just skip Edgy and install Feisty a few months after it's release

apocalypso
October 31st, 2006, 01:00 PM
Still using Dapper here, all these Edgy problems around made me want to wait a litte more before trying Edgy out. I have a fairly customized Dapper installation, and I don't wanna go through any unnecessary fuss just to be "on the 'edge'"... :-k

:-D

Johnsie
October 31st, 2006, 01:05 PM
It's a shame there's no "undo button" for dist upgrades. I think a lot of people are being rightfully scared by some negative feedback about the results of the updating process. Theres always been a risk upgrading and thats something that needs to be looked at. People don't want to risk data loss every 6/4 months.I think most of the problems upgrading this time are easily fixable though.

frup
October 31st, 2006, 01:17 PM
I'm using Edgy and loving it. I've even kept that light default wallpaper because i like it for a change :)

It doesnt feel different from dapper really, Where dapper really did feel different from breezy, but its a really nice update. Its Nice. Nice is a good word for edgy for me :). Loving Firefox 2... Gaim 2b is better... Gnome seems a little more polished and the networking on this box *I think* happened automatically. Can't rate upstart as my Edgy box is my testing pentium 3 and my main computer has broke :(

reiki
October 31st, 2006, 01:21 PM
The nice thing about Ubuntu.... and linux in general... is that if you want to try a new OS you can partition some space for it, install it, and simply choose it from teh Grub menu. If it's too broken, you just boot back to your old OS. I installed Edgy, like I said earlier, on a separate hard drive. I can play and break it and reinstall it and see what I need to do to have it as reliable as Dapper. If and when I get to that point, I can run Edgy as default, keep Dapper as a backup, and just keep going. :)

dada1958
October 31st, 2006, 08:46 PM
I'm back to Dapper, couldn't use my Ricoh Caplio RX with Edgy:(

user1397
October 31st, 2006, 10:33 PM
I use Edgy. But in the "feisty-sub forum" I know a person, who uses already edgy+1. Dunno how is that possible.he or she just replaced all instances of 'dapper' to 'feisty', in their /etc/apt/sources.list file, and then typed in a terminal
sudo apt-get updateI think.

edit: o and, first i used breezy, then upgraded to the dapper RC version a few days before dapper's final release, and finally upgraded to edgy on the day of its release. Well, I did many fresh installs in between all that :)

ScottMorris
November 1st, 2006, 07:00 AM
From a consentsis it seems that those who aren't using Edy are still using Dapper. Although Breezy is still in use it is few and far between. I started with Hoary just before the release of Breezy back when Linux was new on my radar. After using a few different Distros over the last few years I have come to see that Windows and Mac aren't the only things out there and that the way Linux is structured is very logical, in my opinion. I use both Linux and Windows and as I have never reinstalled Windows since Aug. 30th, 2004 it is as like a slow snail. Which I think will never be the name of a Ubuntu version.