PDA

View Full Version : gcc-3.4 & mpich2

ananghudaya
October 30th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Hi,

I'm quite new to ubuntu. I'm having a problem setting up the gcc compiler (gcc-3.4) on my ubuntu 6.06. It seems that it would be able to compile, but then it can only be called using the command gcc-3.4, not just gcc. This creates a problem to me as I want to install the mpich2 package and it requires gcc to be installed, but it seems that it couldn't find gcc-3.4. I looked ot the directory and the gcc-3.4 is installed at /usr/bin/gcc-3.4

I don't have internet connection to my machine, so i couldn't install using apt-get.

Please help me:confused:

lloyd_b
October 30th, 2006, 07:39 AM
First question: Why gcc 3.4? 4.1.2 is what's "standard" with the latest Ubuntu. Does that particular program require the older version?

Since you don't have a "gcc" link in your system, I suspect that you've not installed all of gcc. Try installing a package called "build-essential" - this'll give you the latest gcc, many other necessary programs/files for compiling, and will set up the default "gcc" link in your system.

If you absolutely must use gcc 3.4:

cd /usr/bin
sudo ln -s gcc-3.4 gcc

This will create a symbolic link connecting "gcc" to "gcc-3.4

Lloyd B.

ananghudaya
October 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM
thanks for the feedback... I tried to install build-essential package, but the trouble is i don't have connection on my ubuntu machine, therefore i need to install dependable packages as well. I am stuck at the point to install g++-4.0. It prompted that it requires libstdc++-6.4.0-dev. the problem is when I installed this package, it prompted out that it requires g++-4.0:confused: i really confused now....

lloyd_b
October 30th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I am stuck at the point to install g++-4.0. It prompted that it requires libstdc++-6.4.0-dev. the problem is when I installed this package, it prompted out that it requires g++-4.0 i really confused now....

I suspect that the two g++'s you're looking at have different sub-version numbers.

Use this command with a package to find out what all of it's dependencies are:

apt-cache showpkg {package}

This will list all of the dependent packages. Then run the same command against each of those, and see what dependencies those have. Keep at it, and eventually you'll have a complete list...

Question: Do you have the CD you installed from? If so, it should have a directory called "pool". Underneath of this directory you should find ALL of the packages you need (provided that you start with the "build-essential" package from the CD as well).

What program are you using to install the packages? Synaptic, Aptitude, apt-get, dpkg, ?

Lloyd B.

ananghudaya
October 30th, 2006, 08:37 PM
i'm using aptitude...

Fortunately, I'm able to run my apps now... thanks for the info :-D