PDA

View Full Version : which media format do you listen to the most?

TheRingmaster
October 29th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Lets see which format is most popular in the ubuntu community.

you can choose more than one option.

meng
October 29th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I prefer ogg whenever I can get it. However, many audiocasts only have mp3 feeds, and my portable player can only recognize mp3s.

DaveBorealis
Audio is vorbis ogg, but I'm slowly switching to mp3 because ogg files are too limited as to where I can play them.

Reshin
Mp3

MedivhX
October 29th, 2006, 07:06 PM
MP3. Ogg is not spreaded enough...

detgar
October 29th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I would prefer foss codecs, but all my music is mp3. Only some of the 'podcasts' I listen to are ogg.

TheRingmaster
October 29th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I would prefer foss codecs, but all my music is mp3. Only some of the 'podcasts' I listen to are ogg.
that is like .ogg right?

meng
October 29th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I pity the fool who listens to MIDI the most! :p

insane_alien
October 29th, 2006, 07:18 PM
.ogg because i usually just play what i have on my lappy but i have an external drive filled with FLAC's of my CD collection.

meng
October 29th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Wouldn't you know it, someone has actually gone and voted for MIDI now. I wonder if that's a genuine vote ...

Engnome
October 29th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I listen mostly to pandora.com Don't know in what format they keep their music.

Pandora.com ftw! They play music that you migth like based on what you tell them you like, great way to discover new music. :D

~LoKe
October 29th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Mp3.

TheRingmaster
October 29th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Wouldn't you know it, someone has actually gone and voted for MIDI now. I wonder if that's a genuine vote ...
I don't think so. Varak voted for all of them so I think that he is lying.

shining
October 29th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I don't think so. Varak voted for all of them so I think that he is lying.

lol. but midwinter did not.

chaosgeisterchen
October 29th, 2006, 08:09 PM
It's MP3 due to my MP3-player and old habits. But the percentage of oggs is steadily rising.

ixus_123
October 29th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I use MP3 because it will play on any system & any "mp3" player. Whilst I'd prefer to use ogg, it just isn't supported enough on players / other OS's.

My music needs to work for me on any system be that Linux PC, Windows PC, iPOd, any other mp3 player, mp3 reading hi hi / car stereo etc

Bigbluecat
October 29th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Other.

I mostly use AAC VBR with a high bit rate (around 300kbps). Sounds better than MP3 to my tastes.

Most of my music is still on the windows drive for now as I'm just starting out in Ubuntu. Well it's on the ipod as well and streams nicely to the soundbridge player over wifi.

muishkin
October 29th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Other.

My CDs are stored on my computer in the musepack format (.mpc) so that is pretty much the format that I listen to the most. However I am considering rerip my entire collection again to the latest aotuv vorbis (.ogg) since the development of mpc is pretty much dead and I think vorbis has finally caught up with the quailty/performance of musepack.

shining
October 29th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Other.

I mostly use AAC VBR with a high bit rate (around 300kbps). Sounds better than MP3 to my tastes.

Are you comparing with mp3 at the same high bitrate?

Rhubarb
October 29th, 2006, 08:16 PM
FLAC for a few songs,

But for the rest, Ogg vorbis all the way!!!
Work pc plays ogg, my phone / pda plays ogg, and Edgy here at home loves ogg.

Astrophobos
October 29th, 2006, 08:17 PM
My music collection is in flac and ogg format.
Flac for home listening and ogg for my ipod with rockbox.

Bigbluecat
October 29th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Did the comparisons at 192kbps a some time ago and preferred AAC. They are both MPEG codecs. MPEG audio layer 3 was developed some time ago. The advanced audio codec is a more recent addition and they are still at it. There is AAC+ and AAC+e.

One issue I do see is that all these compressions are focussed on removing information to make files smaller and more portable while trying to maintain an acceptable quality.

As storage densities climb and costs come down we will get nearer to the goal of not needing compression in some systems so lossless formats will become more parctical.

picpak
October 29th, 2006, 08:19 PM
MP3, sadly. :(

sean mac
October 29th, 2006, 08:20 PM
i use mp3 only because that's how most of the CD rips i get are formatted :cool:

some of the album collections I have are in FLAC, though... pretty much no ogg at all

PatrickMay16
October 29th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I pity the fool who listens to MIDI the most! :p

Why's that? It's a good way of making a tune, and it can sounds pretty good as long as you have a good synthesizer or soundfont or whatever.

My choices were mp3, MIDI, and Ogg.

meng
October 29th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Maybe I just don't have a decent soundcard - MIDI always sounds like bad elevator music, and I hate elevator music. Anyway, my comment is strictly tongue-in-cheek.

bionnaki
October 29th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I use ogg for lossy and flac for lossless.

hugmenot
October 30th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Weird choices you offer in your poll, man.

Gargamella
October 30th, 2006, 12:59 AM
i have more than 2000 mp3...it is too late to change format

gnomeuser
October 30th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Technically Ogg isn't a music format, it's a container - the format would be Vorbis, Speex, Flac and what else you can stuff in the container - thus the name Ogg Flac, Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Theora (video),Ogg Speex.

Regardless I have all my CDs ripped as Ogg Flac, +30 GB of the finest quality tunes, enough to keep me happy for a while. Was it not for podcasts I wouldn't even have an mp3 decoder installed.

TheRingmaster
October 30th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Weird choices you offer in your poll, man.

and why is that. They are all music formats.

ember
October 30th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Well - I mainly use mp3. I'd prefer having all my CDs as FLAC, too, but I don't have enough disk space.

rocknrolf77
October 30th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Don't like mp3 very much, would rather use ogg. But my mp3 player do not support it, and my collection is far to big for me ripping my cd's again. :( Is it possible to make a script or something to convert everything over to ogg ? Or is there any app to do that?

TheRingmaster
October 30th, 2006, 04:00 AM
If I covert my mp3s to flac will I lose any data? I know that if you go from mp3 to ogg (vorbis), you will lose some data since they are both lossy formats.

KoRnholio
October 30th, 2006, 04:07 AM
I download my live shows in .flac format, and I rip my cd collection into .ogg. I still have a decent amount of mp3s, but quantity-wise, .flac and .ogg still win (they're probably about equally represented on my system).

yabbadabbadont
October 30th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Flac for my own music, and whatever format happens to be streamed from the various online sources to which I listen. (it varies)

Polygon
October 30th, 2006, 04:25 AM
If I covert my mp3s to flac will I lose any data? I know that if you go from mp3 to ogg (vorbis), you will lose some data since they are both lossy formats.

same thing will happen with mp3 -> flac

flac is a lossless codec, and mp3 is lossy.. so id imagine that there would be some data loss, and even if there isnt, i believe one of the main points of FLAC is to basically rip a cd to FLAC, and since it is lossless you can covert the flac to mp3, vorbis or whatever format you want.

yabbadabbadont
October 30th, 2006, 04:30 AM

flac is a lossless codec, and mp3 is lossy.. so id imagine that there would be some data loss, and even if there isnt, i believe one of the main points of FLAC is to basically rip a cd to FLAC, and since it is lossless you can covert the flac to mp3, vorbis or whatever format you want.

Exactly. Once you have a perfect copy (that is at least somewhat compressed) you can convert it to any other format(s) you like.

coder_
October 30th, 2006, 05:06 AM
FLAC, OGG, and MOD/XM for the old Amiga tunes :D

Nobody uses MOD or XM? No Amiga demostyled oldschool listeners?

yabbadabbadont
October 30th, 2006, 05:10 AM
FLAC, OGG, and MOD/XM for the old Amiga tunes :D

Nobody uses MOD or XM? No Amiga demostyled oldschool listeners?

/home/bubba $ du -s /media/music/mod
64M /media/music/mod

coder_
October 30th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Yay! W00t! I'm not alone!

Long live Radix! :) Radix owned!

yabbadabbadont
October 30th, 2006, 05:17 AM
I always liked the stuff from the guys at kosmic.org

Edit: I used to have a few hundred megabytes of them, but most of the artists re-released their songs in mp3 format which meant that I didn't have to convert them for my portable player.

TheRingmaster
October 30th, 2006, 05:47 AM

so there is no way to convert mp3 to vorbis without data loss.

yabbadabbadont
October 30th, 2006, 05:49 AM
so there is no way to convert mp3 to vorbis without data loss.

I think that you can run oggenc directly on the mp3 files and it will convert them. You might have to play with the quality settings, but you should be able to get files that sound close enough to the original mp3s that you won't be able to hear the difference.

TheRingmaster
October 30th, 2006, 06:13 AM
I think that you can run oggenc directly on the mp3 files and it will convert them. You might have to play with the quality settings, but you should be able to get files that sound close enough to the original mp3s that you won't be able to hear the difference.
is there any documentation on how to do this?

yabbadabbadont
October 30th, 2006, 06:24 AM
"man oggenc" should give you the details you need.

randomi
October 30th, 2006, 06:40 AM
MP3 only because that's what I brought over from Window$ with me. Since I've moved over to complete linux desktop I've switched to ogg but most are still MP3

TheRingmaster
October 30th, 2006, 06:50 AM
is there any way to get frostwire to download the songs in the ogg format? This may be a stupid question.

Soarer
October 30th, 2006, 10:04 AM
My music collection is in flac and ogg format.
Flac for home listening and ogg for my ipod with rockbox.

Me too, except I have iAudio player, so flac & ogg both work on that too :)

eriqk
October 30th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I prefer vorbis for size/quality, and anything that gets encoded is going to be vorbis.
I don't have a mediaplayer yet, but any player I'll buy will have to be able to play vorbis (and I saw a really snazzy Samsung player the other day, so that's sorted I suppose).
I'd use FLAC for my CDs and vinyl if I'd have the diskspace, but I haven't so I don't.
Most stuff I download are mp3s, though, so I'm not Thomson-free yet, alas.

//edit
Ah, and there's flash, too, for streams. Makes sense, in a way, if only it would be more open than it is.

Groet, Erik

Kateikyoushi
October 30th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Mp3 because it is widespread and almost everything pays it.

puppy
October 30th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Well I'd love to use ogg (because it's an open format) and byte for byte it's less lossy than mp3, but my old, trusty Creative MP3 player (which refuses to die :rolleyes: ) only plays MP3s. When it does finally give up the ghost I'm going to be buying a media player that plays ogg and use that as much as possible. I'm in the same boat as others though regarding my existing collection - 30gb of MP3s and they're going to have to stay as they are - I'm not ripping 100s of albums again [-(

jordilin
October 30th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I mostly listen to mp3 files and streams, although I would like ogg to be the most used format, but portable media players don't have it implemented.

shining
October 30th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I mostly listen to mp3 files and streams, although I would like ogg to be the most used format, but portable media players don't have it implemented.

The only thing I looked at before buying a portable music player was ogg support.

slimdog360
October 30th, 2006, 03:02 PM
alright, what joker has put down WMA. Apart from the obvious, it makes everything sound terrible.

ogg all the way.

Buffalo Soldier
October 30th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Ogg Vorbis all the way. Now to scrap enough money to buy Cowon iAudio flash based player.

MethodOne
October 30th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I ha

TeeAhr1
October 30th, 2006, 03:16 PM
mp3 if I'm getting it from Der Intarweb, flac if I'm ripping it from my collection.

MethodOne
October 30th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I have audio files in the following formats:
mp3
wma (I still have files in this format, but i don't encode in it anymore)
mod
xm
s3m
it
m4a
m4p (I hate DRM, but my sister uses this format a lot for iTunes downloads)
nsf (Nintendo Entertainment System chiptunes)
spc (Super Nintendo Entertainment System chiptunes)
sid (Commodore 64 chiptunes)
ogg (Vorbis)

EdThaSlayer
October 30th, 2006, 04:11 PM
So its only audio formats?
well i guess everyone uses MP3's since it is well...the most popular format around and since there are,well...things called MP3 Players?[ipod and such]

hugmenot
October 30th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I see people voted at least once for everything but I would guess some of these formats are just irrelevant to music listening.

I think SND and AU and RM are highly dubious. And WAV/AIFF are not really music formats because of lack of tagging.

Common formats you missed out are: Wavpack, FLAC, Monkey’s Audio, OptimFrog, Apple Lossless, WMA lossless (all lossless) and Vorbis, Musepack, AAC, and even MP2 (lossy), Speex for audio books. Modules for a host of trackers of course.

TheRingmaster
October 30th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I see people voted at least once for everything but I would guess some of these formats are just irrelevant to music listening.

I think SND and AU and RM are highly dubious. And WAV/AIFF are not really music formats because of lack of tagging.

Common formats you missed out are: Wavpack, FLAC, Monkey’s Audio, OptimFrog, Apple Lossless, WMA lossless (all lossless) and Vorbis, Musepack, AAC, and even MP2 (lossy), Speex for audio books. Modules for a host of trackers of course.
that is why there is an other option on there.

RoyArne
October 30th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Flac, because it is lossless.

Lord Illidan
October 30th, 2006, 05:40 PM
MP3. I like .ogg but now that my collection is in .mp3 I am not going to change it. Also, our players are all mp3 and wma only..not going to buy a new player to be more "free"...if only the players themselves were free.

shining
October 30th, 2006, 05:44 PM

I also found the choices in the poll a bit weird.
(though I personally only use ogg or mp3)

TheRingmaster
October 30th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I also found the choices in the poll a bit weird.
(though I personally only use ogg or mp3)
Well I pulled the choices from here http://www.nch.com.au/acm/formats.html so give me a break

drFUNK
October 30th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Mostly AAC.

bettermentflux
November 15th, 2006, 02:04 AM
FLAC. It's open, it's uncompressed. It rox!

TheRingmaster
November 15th, 2006, 03:03 AM
FLAC. It's open, it's uncompressed. It rox!
can you actually listen to flac or is it just for archival (storage)?

d3v1ant_0n3
November 15th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I voted mp3 and .ogg

The vast majority of my collection is in .mp3, but if I rip something new, I'll do it in .ogg

bofphile
November 15th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Most of the time FLAC, which is the best format for my needs.

Toontwnca
November 15th, 2006, 01:55 PM
mp3 here as well.
When I ripped my cd's to the hd
it was done in mp3 format; so it
is the one I use.

maagimies
November 15th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I support Ogg whenever I can, like ripping cd:s to them and and such, but if I want to listen a media which happens to be in mp3 format, I will listen the mp3.

tebibyte
November 16th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Uh...Im sort of embarrassed but, i just listen to CDs and the radio. They still exist you know.

joeljkp
November 16th, 2006, 10:47 PM
In response to the podcast (netcast?) mp3 frustration, I've started doing ogg conversions of a few of them at my website (http://ballsome.org).

So far, I've been doing NPR's All Songs Considered, KEXP's Music That Matters, and NPR's Press Start.

misterbeetz
December 3rd, 2006, 04:24 AM
ALAC (apple lossless). My whole collection is in that format and it works natively on my ipod.

Now if only there was a way to rip my cds into ALAC format in Ubuntu....](*,)

-misterbeetz

Falcorian
December 3rd, 2006, 07:27 AM
mp3s mostly, I had a bunch of aac but I've reripped them for better support recently. I'd love to use ogg, but mp3 support is universal.

Malta paul
December 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
I prefer .Ogg, and record using this, but sometimes I listen to Mp3.

ButteBlues
December 3rd, 2006, 04:39 PM
MP3 with FLAC in a close second (my mp3 player doesn't support FLAC).

Christmas
December 3rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
OGG. I have an entire music collection (~2000 songs) consisting only of OGG files at 192 kbps.

Johnsie
December 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
It's not my most played file type but I think .MOD deserves a mention. So of you oldskool composers might remember that one. My real most played type is MP3.

AndyCooll
December 3rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
Ogg Vorbis wherever possible. mp3 if necessary.

:cool:

iPower
December 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
all my music is in mp3 format

daz4126
December 3rd, 2006, 10:53 PM
Would prefer ogg, but keep most in mp3 so it works on portable music players. Some still wma from a past life!

jamyskis
December 4th, 2006, 12:49 AM
I principally buy CDs and convert them to OGG format. If I want to play them on my PSP I just convert them on-the-fly into MP3s - no problem.

I wouldn't buy any DRM-laden crap in AAC or WMA format.

jtfolden
December 18th, 2006, 08:15 AM
ALAC (apple lossless). My whole collection is in that format and it works natively on my ipod.

Now if only there was a way to rip my cds into ALAC format in Ubuntu....](*,)

-misterbeetz

Same here... Of all the things that would hold me back from using Ubuntu regularly, this is a major issue. Luckily, RhythmBox will play ALAC but I really need something that can encode to this format here, as well. FLAC just doesn't get it.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

talbain
December 18th, 2006, 08:21 AM
MP3, Uberstandard... how do u make those in linux? wine+EAC? does it work fine?

Cyvros
December 18th, 2006, 08:24 AM
MP3, followed by Ogg (then WMA, I suppose). I use MIDI quite frequently (closest I can find to a universal format between sheet music programs).

mcduck
December 18th, 2006, 09:25 AM
mostly mp3, so I can use my files on iPod too. But I also have quite some FLAC files, and huge SID collection :)

NeoLithium
December 18th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Pretty much my music is split up between flac,ogg and mp3; mp3's pretty much a last resort for me though, my portable music player is my laptop ;)

UbuWu
December 31st, 2006, 02:44 AM
MP3, Flac and sometimes ogg.

Jorge32
December 31st, 2006, 06:27 AM
I'm used to Mp3...I hadn't even tried with other...

GarethMB
December 31st, 2006, 10:58 AM
Voted MP3 and Other, because I still use CDs.

neowolf
December 31st, 2006, 11:51 AM
MP3's when I play music on the computer, but I listen to CDs/Radio alot.

acheun
December 31st, 2006, 12:59 PM
my music files are all encoded in flac in my server. i encode them in mp3 as well just for listening on the road, as my car cd player can only play mp3 (other than audio cd).

bmhm
January 2nd, 2007, 10:43 PM
Remember that old fancy commodore 64 tunes? :D

I use sidplay / sidplay 2 to play my sid-files :D :D :D

steevc
January 2nd, 2007, 11:26 PM
I've still got a load of music that I ripped as MP3 (before I saw the light). Switched to OGG a while back. Now starting to re-rip to FLAC so that I never have to do it again. Just need to sort out Amarok so that it can transcode to OGG for my portable devices.

On the move I use Aeroplayer on my Palm, GSplayer on PocketPC and an iRiver flash player. All do OGG.

Jussi Kukkonen
January 3rd, 2007, 12:42 AM
Now if only there was a way to rip my cds into ALAC format in Ubuntu....

Same here... Of all the things that would hold me back from using Ubuntu regularly, this is a major issue.

It's not a DRM issue but it's still "Defective By Design" if you ask me: As far as I know Apple still haven't given out any documentation about the format...

I know you didn't accuse Ubuntu/FOSS developers about this, but I'd still like to point this out: Apple is the "bad guy" here, they are playing the lock-in card and anyone using ALAC should understand it.

That being said, the guy who reverse-engineered the decoder has said that writing an encoder shouldn't be that difficult -- it just seems that no-one is interested in doing it.

graigsmith
January 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
i'm listening to mp3's and oggs. what concerns me though is that i havent seen a new player for an ogg file in a while. ipod has no ogg support. none of the hardware players you can just walk in and buy has ogg support. this is a problem.

my little iriver player supports ogg files, though sometimes it crashes on them because the bitrate isn't supported below 92.

TLE
January 3rd, 2007, 12:42 PM
I voted mp3. But only because the portable player, which is a birthday present, doen't support ogg, otherwise I would convert all of my music from cd's once again.

My girlfriends portable player does however support ogg, and I have already converted her music from scratch.

jdhore
January 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
i listen to MP3 the most and AAC the 2nd most...it's just because i have an iPod (so no ogg support), MP3 is one of the most widely-use format out there and i think AAC blows MP3, WMA and OGG away in sound quality at the same or lower bitrates

Mateo
January 3rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
^^ i like that aac allows you to put tracks in individual files. it's nice.

Soarer
January 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
I've never used aac? How do you mean, it 'allows you to put tracks in individual files' please?

earobinson
January 3rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
wish I could say ogg but well no mp3 :(

Mateo
January 3rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
I've never used aac? How do you mean, it 'allows you to put tracks in individual files' please?

well, i haven't used it myself either, but from what I understand, it can put tracks into a file the same way a cd has tracks. To think about a practical use, think about a podcast that lasts an hour. they can put track points at various times, or every time they change topics. makes it easier to listen to large files (podcasts, audiobooks, etc.).

dvarsam
January 3rd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Hello!

I prefer ogg whenever I can get it. However, many audiocasts only have mp3 feeds...

I would be willing to change to .ogg too!

..., and my portable player can only recognize mp3s.

Exactly the same case here!

So, I guess it is all a matter of what "Hardware" each of us owns.
I have bought my .mp3 player before I even started experimenting with Ubuntu...
So, I did not know back then that I should look for .ogg playing capabilities too!
In the future, things might change for me...
But that means probably 5-6 years from my side...
So until then, using .mp3 is my only option!

Thanks.

macogw
January 3rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
1. MP3 (if I'm not in my room)
2. Vinyl (if I'm in my room)
3. CD (if I'm in the car)

When I listen to mp3, it's on my laptop speakers. My mp3 player needs a new non-customer-replaceable battery. I think I need to get a little cd player to listen to when I'm skiing now though. Can't carry around my records on the slopes.

Vinyl is my #1 choice for what I LIKE to listen to. Music is the one area where I don't want a bunch of 1s and 0s.

roachk71
January 4th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Oops... I should have ticked "mp3" as well, since my portable music player can only handle that format and WMA...

But I listen to Ogg Vorbis music files most of the time on this notebook.

MrHorus
January 4th, 2007, 09:49 AM
I can't be bothered checking 11 pages of replies to see if someone has said it already, but I am compelled to point out that Ogg isn't a format - it's a container object.

Vorbis is the underlying compression system...

Sorry if it's been said already :)

jdhore
January 4th, 2007, 03:47 PM
well, i haven't used it myself either, but from what I understand, it can put tracks into a file the same way a cd has tracks. To think about a practical use, think about a podcast that lasts an hour. they can put track points at various times, or every time they change topics. makes it easier to listen to large files (podcasts, audiobooks, etc.).

AAC as 3 "file formats" M4A or just a regular track, M4P which is protected...the music you buy off the iTunes store and M4B which has the ability for bookmarking, chapters (like a DVD) and easily a few more features i don't even know about

mand0
January 4th, 2007, 03:53 PM
mp3 and flac

ErikTheRed
January 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM
All of the CDs I own I have ripped in FLAC.

puppy
January 5th, 2007, 01:18 AM
It's strange but I looked into this as my Creative device is beginning to give up the ghost, and it needs replacing badly.

The number of portable MP3 players with Ogg support actually seems to be shrinking as far as I can tell from my research. All the manufacturers are proudly touting the fact that their new models can play DRM'd music though *sigh*

SoloSalsa
January 5th, 2007, 01:49 AM
FLAC in an OGG

manutdfan2850
January 5th, 2007, 02:21 AM
mp3

TLE
January 5th, 2007, 08:56 AM
My girlfriend just bought a Samsung portable player that is able to play ogg. Just thought I'd mention it for anyone that was interested

beastly
January 7th, 2007, 05:37 PM
FLAC. With today's bandwidth and low storage cost I am amazed that so many people still use MP3 :-?

Mateo
January 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM
FLAC. With today's bandwidth and low storage cost I am amazed that so many people still use MP3 :-?

I simply can't tell the difference, is why.

jdhore
January 7th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I simply can't tell the difference, is why.

yeah...i don't have a $400 set of headphones or a $1000 set of 5.1 speakers so i really can't tell any difference between lossless codecs and lossy codecs...and AAC 160kbps takes up less space on my iPod than a song encoded in Apple Lossless or some other lossless audio format.

rbhigday
January 7th, 2007, 07:50 PM
realaudio is a format? I thought that was a program, hmm mabye I need some coffee!

Pobega
January 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM
MP3 because they have a good filesize and very good sound quality. I also try to change all of the Oggs I download to MP3 due to compatability issues with the Apple iPod.

jdhore
January 7th, 2007, 09:41 PM
realaudio is a format? I thought that was a program, hmm mabye I need some coffee!

RealNetworks had a couple of formats: .ra (RealAudio), .rm, .ram, .rmvb and i think a few others as well

bmhm
January 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM
MP3 because they have a good filesize and very good sound quality.

Thats a plain lie. MP3 is OUTDATED and has a very poor quality compared to same bitrates of vorbis(ogg). Also ogg has the ability for gapless playback, can contain mor information and so on.

i wont buy an ipod because it can't play ogg. I always buy Samsung portable mp3-sticks. They also may carry other data. They're great, cheap and well-manufactured.

hugmenot
January 8th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Thats a plain lie. MP3 is OUTDATED and has a very poor quality compared to same bitrates of vorbis(ogg). Also ogg has the ability for gapless playback, can contain mor information and so on.
You’re wrong. Thrice.
And I’m too annoyed to prove it.

GermanFafian
January 8th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I think the crux of the matter is which format is most spread. I work with audio and prefer Ogg to MP3 but most portable players do not recognize the codec. :mad:

GermanFafian
January 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I also try to change all of the Oggs I download to MP3 due to compatability issues with the Apple iPod.
I wouldn't do that as compressing an already compressed file yields very low audio quality.

Mateo
January 8th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I've converted several oggs I get from online radio to mp3 without a noticeable difference (to me, anyways).

KaeseEs
January 9th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Since I got my 30GB iAudio, I mostly listen to FLAC audio files. Many thanks to Cowon and grip!

Mathiasdm
January 9th, 2007, 02:06 PM
You’re wrong. Thrice.
And I’m too annoyed to prove it.

He's not wrong.

Aac, WMA and ogg all three have better quality than mp3.

There are several limitations inherent to the MP3 format that cannot be overcome by using a better encoder.

Newer audio compression formats such as Vorbis and AAC no longer have these limitations.

In technical terms, MP3 is limited in the following ways:

* Bitrate is limited to a maximum of 320 kbit/s (while some encoders can create higher bitrates, there is little-to-no support for these higher bitrate mp3s)
* Time resolution can be too low for highly transient signals, causing some smearing of percussive sounds
* Frequency resolution is limited by the small long block window size, decreasing coding efficiency
* No scale factor band for frequencies above 15.5/15.8 kHz
* Joint stereo is done on a frame-to-frame basis
* Encoder/decoder overall delay is not defined, which means lack of official provision for gapless playback. However, some encoders such as LAME can attach additional metadata that will allow players that are aware of it to deliver gapless playback.

Nevertheless, a well-tuned MP3 encoder can perform competitively even with these restrictions.

In general, mp3 performs very poorly at low bitrates, compared to ogg, aac or wma.

hugmenot
January 12th, 2007, 01:17 AM
He's not wrong.

With his wording all his three points are wrong.

- Mp3 is not sign. worse at all bitrates. (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Listening_Tests)
- Mp3 can do gapless with LAME headers.
- Mp3 can store as much information (with TXXX fields)

kevinlyfellow
February 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
I listen mostly to pandora.com Don't know in what format they keep their music.

Pandora.com ftw! They play music that you migth like based on what you tell them you like, great way to discover new music. :D

For the paranoid... read the privacy policy on the site. Another great way to find new music is at last.fm

My vote is for vorbis!

Nakkis
February 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
FLAC :guitar: