PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu - My Dream App

notarikon
October 28th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Some (many) of you may be aware of a competition that's been going on recently for the Mac called My Dream App. Description from the site (www.mydreamapp.com):

About My Dream App

My Dream App is a grand experiment to see what happens when you combine the expertise of some of the best talents in the software and tech world with great ideas and feedback from everyone else.

It works like this. For the first two weeks of the event, we'll be collecting ideas for killer apps from hundreds, hopefully thousands of contestants. Then, the My Dream App team will be narrowing these down to 24 great (and developmentally feasible) entries.

From this point on, we'll be bringing in the best talents in the industry, including people like Kevin Rose (Digg), original Mac evangelist Guy Kawasaki, New York Times columnist and best-selling author David Pogue, and even Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak to give their opinions and feedback on these ideas as they move on round by round. But ultimately, it'll be up to the site's users to determine which ideas make it to the end, with weekly elimination votes.

There's lots of prizes for the winners (and runners up). We're giving away 18 iPods, and 6 Macintosh computers. But the big prize goes to the three final winners: a contract to have their ideas developed into full-blown shareware applications, with royalties for life. Experienced Macintosh programmers Jason Harris (ShapeShifter), Austin Sarner (AppZapper), and Martin Ott (SubEthaEdit) are on board to judge throughout the event, and realize the winning ideas under the watch of development manager John Casasanta (iClip).

We think we'll have 3 innovative, killer apps by the end of this event, and it'll be up to you to help decide which ideas make the cut, and how they evolve throughout the event. Sit back and enjoy. This is going to an insanely great ride.

What do you think about a competition like this for Ubuntu? Get some of the best programming talent we can find, get submissions in on what killer apps we need in Ubuntu, narrow it down to 24 or so finalists and let the community vote to what they want.

Maybe get some big names as guest judges (Shuttleworth, Cox, etc.?) and not only increase awareness of Ubuntu, but end up with some amazing programs to garner further converts :)

Comments?

user1397
October 28th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I think it's a wondeful idea. Someone just has to step up and do it (or direct the whole thing), or else nothing will happen.

GStubbs43
October 28th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I think it's a wondeful idea. Someone just has to step up and do it (or direct the whole thing), or else nothing will happen.

Yeah, someone could make a wiki page or something and explain it to everyone.

maniacmusician
October 28th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Much more than just that. It has to be a team; someone who is good at PR and knows how to appeal to people, and someone who's very connected on the programmer end of things. and then other people for web design, etc. For a project like this to take off, it has to look good, have momentum. There have to be programmers willing to pitch in and whatnot.

Wiki pages are good for smaller things, but IMHO, a radical investment of time and effort has to be made for it to really take off. It would be nice also to have sponsorship from important people (shuttleworth, cox, etc) and important congregations (Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware; any and all who are willing to be a part of it) before striking out.

But if organized properly, this would be an awesome project.

edit: a monetary incentive may help to attract programmers.

user1397
October 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Is this as far as this is going? :(

maniacmusician
October 31st, 2006, 01:33 AM
for it to go any further, someone has to step forward, shoulder the responsibility, and get working on it. I'm way too busy to even think about attempting it, but if this is something you're enthusiastic about, take a look at my previous post, and get working! recruit some people.

good luck if you do decide to try it

user1397
October 31st, 2006, 05:31 AM
for it to go any further, someone has to step forward, shoulder the responsibility, and get working on it. I'm way too busy to even think about attempting it, but if this is something you're enthusiastic about, take a look at my previous post, and get working! recruit some people.

good luck if you do decide to try itThe thing is, i'm too busy, too! :-k

maniacmusician
October 31st, 2006, 02:45 PM
oO Tough luck, I guess. What about the OP?

I'm tempted to say that I will work on this, but eh. I've already promised other projects that I'll work with them, and I've got things lined up till next year. come on people, who wants to take some initiative?