PDA

View Full Version : Has 'Edgy' been OFFICIALLY released yet?

randell6564
October 28th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Hey folks!
I'm using Dapper Drake. I keep seeing threads about people installing and using Edgy, but the last time that I used it, nothing but problems!

Has it been released officially yet?

~LoKe
October 28th, 2006, 08:01 PM
As of the 26th, yes.

PriceChild
October 28th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Edgy has been releaed.

It is availiable for download off of http://ubuntu.com

I STRONGLY advise you to stick with Dapper if everything is working fine.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Edgy is unstable compared to Dapper.

Ramses de Norre
October 28th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I've had no problems with edgy and it works a lot better then dapper for me, it's normal that you see much people complaining in the forums because only the one with problems will come to post here about it..

meng
October 28th, 2006, 08:07 PM
My recollection is that there were as many complaints in the first week after the release of Dapper. Guess what? If you test an OS on a greater number of hardware platforms, you'll find more problems. Gradually these will be sorted out. It's a testament to the popularity of Ubuntu that so many people are rushing to get the latest version as soon as it's been released.

If you have all your data backed up and don't mind spending time to sort things out if your system breaks, then go ahead and upgrade to Edgy. Otherwise, you're taking a risk.

John.Michael.Kane
October 28th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Edgy in not for job bob i don't know what I'm doing. If you run edgy you do so at your own risk. Final release or not it is a development platform.

plb
October 28th, 2006, 08:10 PM
No problems whatsoever with Edgy here.

PatrickMay16
October 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM
You should only run Edgy if you need the most up-to-date stuff. Otherwise, Dapper is fine.

chaosgeisterchen
October 28th, 2006, 08:13 PM
That's all true. If you have issues using Dapper you should stongly consider updating.

John.Michael.Kane
October 28th, 2006, 08:22 PM
That's all true. If you have issues using Dapper you should strongly consider updating.

No they should not. the end user should exhaust all means getting the issue fixed under dapper. upgrading to edgy as last resort.

Edgy is not a end all fix all for issues under dapper. Theres no guarantees edgy will fix any end users issues with out bringing it's own issues of which might be more trouble then it was worth.

Sirin
October 28th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I update to keep up to the new updates. I like new features. :)

I updated via the Internet (Yes, the experimental Update Manager method). Although it failed to install half the packages and took almost 7 hours to do so, I went into Synaptic to do the rest of the work. Synaptic took a fraction of the time that Update Manager took. I restarted, and it works as if I clean-installed it. :D

randell6564
October 28th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Edgy has been releaed.

It is availiable for download off of http://ubuntu.com

I STRONGLY advise you to stick with Dapper if everything is working fine.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Edgy is unstable compared to Dapper.
Yeah, thats what I was getting at! The "stability" issue. I tryed Edgy and had a Sh%# load of problems! (same thing as the Ubuntu 6.06 64-bit that I tryed on my 32-bit box (with 64-bit support). Didnt work!
Thanks! I'll stick with Dapper for now!