PDA

View Full Version : Who here has a laptop with no problems in Ubuntu?

xxrealmsxx
October 28th, 2006, 07:47 PM
If you do please give me some advice!

Hey guys, I have had a zv6000 for about a year now and I am looking to sell it. The laptop works great, but it is quite bulky and I don't use it for much else than school anymore.

I was wondering what laptops don't have ANY bugs at all when using Ubuntu. Through work I get a discount on Dells and Hp's. I just want the cheapest thing that will run Ubuntu great with no hassle.

I don't game on this laptop anymore so dont need anything with a gaming graphics card. I talked myself into getting the AMD-64 processor thinking I would use this laptop for Vista but don't have a reson to now so I am basically wasting processing and graphics capabilities toting this thing to class etc. I would just like a good cheap Dell/HP (so i can use my work discount) laptop that run Beryl/AIGLX or any other interface upgrades, have no wifi problems (by far the most infuriating part of my zv6000 is that the POS broadcom card SUCKS) have room for a RAM upgrade and have good battery life.

Thanks in advance for your replys.

dbott67
October 28th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I've got a Dell 6400 with Core Duo T2400 (1.83 GHz), 2 GB RAM, ATI Radeon x1400, Broadcom 4311 wifi, DVD, 100 GB Hard Drive, 4-in-1 Ricoh card reader, 15.4" WXGA LCD and everything works in Dapper.

I've posted a HOWTO here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=274915

I love my laptop... and now it comes with Core 2 Duo!

Mimsy
October 28th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I have heard rumors that HP makes laptopts that work nicely with Linux, but don't quote me on that, do some research of your own as well.

I've got a Compaq Evo N410c (old in other words), that has only minor problems like the shortcut keys above the keyboard not working. I had to manually install the wireless drivers, but there's a good how-to on that, so it just took some time and effort. Basically, once I'd gotten Dapper set up the way I wanted (Thank you forumites for all your help!), it ran beautifully and smoothly on the old Compaq. Now it only breaks when I make it break. :)

There is a thread in the Hardware and Laptop forum that talks about this, that will probably be of help to you as well.

Good luck!

/Mimsy

dbott67
October 28th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I'm holding off on the Edgy upgrade... there seems to be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Here's my laptop in action (http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_id=gpOz8duTh-4&eurl=&iurl=http%3A//sjl-static3.sjl.youtube.com/vi/gpOz8duTh-4/2.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskKhnD6ZR6YN7hqgsDVHuAQY).

meng
October 28th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Dell Inspiron 8200, everything works better than in Dapper. Hibernate and Suspend both work as they should, whereas neither worked as intended in Dapper. I haven't got the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 working yet, but running 3D accelerated graphics on a notebook with such a card is NOT a priority for me.

dbott67
October 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I should also note that I do not use hibernate and suspend... so I can't say whether or not they work, but all of the hardware appears to work.

GeneralZod
October 28th, 2006, 08:27 PM
HP nc6220:

- DRI (Intel Accelerated) : Just Works
- Built-in Broadcomm Bluetooth, including btsco : Just Works (the Gentoo page on this laptop says it doesn't work with btsco, but this is not the case)
- Sound : Just Works
- Built-in SD Card Reader : Just Works
- Laptop Media Keys : Just Work (under KDE, and almost certainly under GNOME).
- Wireless (Intel 2200 b/g) : Just Works
- Built-in Smart Card reader : apparently doesn't work.
- Built-in Modem : Not tried, but I *think* that if you want to use it purely as a modem (and not as a fax, etc) it works with fully open-source drivers. The licensing issue is a little confusing, though.
- Built-in NIC : Not tried, but I think it works with open-source drivers that are part of the kernel.

Note that I have not tried Suspend, as I always hibernate my laptop. All of the features I've tested continue to work across Hibernate/ Unhibernate cycles, with no tweaking required.

It's a really nice laptop, and I'm very pleased with it indeed :) If I'd acted faster, I could have got it for just £350 on eBay, rather than the 450 pounds I paid in the end ](*,)

Edit:

Oh, and tinfoil-hatters should be aware that the laptop contains a TPM. Linux has support for these devices, but I have no use for it and haven't tried it out.

Ubunted
October 28th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I've had two ThinkPads, both work flawlessly in Dapper, an A22m and an X30, though Edgy sees the X30's wireless as an Ethernet.

In fact, Ubuntu works far and away better than Windows on the X30.

mostwanted
October 28th, 2006, 08:30 PM
ASUS V6J, just works (except resolution can't go to maximum in edgy without proprietary NVDIA drivers for some reason...?). Everything else, including Bluetooth, microphone, wireless, card reader, works.

serlex
October 28th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I got a Toshiba Tecra A5 centrino 1.6ghz, evcerything works fine, apart from me :D

Compucore
October 28th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I'm running Dapper drake on a Iseries laptop from IBM not much of a problem over all with it. Everything works with the exception of the internal modem which is a winmodem. Never really like those too much since they are based strictly for windows only OS's. Most of the modems I would either install into any one of my other workstations are with the UART chip and a actual chipset in them if it is a internal modem. External wise I stick with US robotic when I don't have a choice for them. Or one of my really old Gandolf 2400 modem if it is stirctly for telneting to a machine externally off the network. If you can for any new laptops try and find out if they sell modems for the laptops that are compatable with other os. If the modem is not a concern then using the laptop for taking notes and whatever else. Then don't bother having one installed at all. Thats my opinion.

Compucore

jpkotta
October 28th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Never ever ran Windows on my laptop. Everything has worked in Dapper, everything could be made to work in Breezy and earlier. If you want good sound, do not buy it, there is terrible noise in the sound card. This is a hardware problem, it affects any operating system, and it is a problem in the design of the laptop, not just a defect. Other than that, I love it.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellLatitudeD610

prizrak
October 28th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Toshiba Satellite A10 S177 0 Ubuntu issues.
Acer TravelMate C310 works beautifully as a laptop the tablet is a bit iffy and bluetooth isn't operational.

fuscia
October 28th, 2006, 08:39 PM
i have a system76 (i think it's some kind of asus). it came with ubuntu installed. i just upgraded to edgy this morning and it's still fine.

basketcase
October 28th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Inspiron 6000 from Dell...Everything works in Dapper. Wifi didn't work in 5.10 w/o a hack

katgfan
October 28th, 2006, 11:21 PM
NEC Versa E6000 No problem from Ubuntu Breezy to Edgy

23meg
October 29th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Everything but the tablet function (easy to configure manually) works out of the box with my Toshiba Tecra M4.

raqball
October 29th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Sony FS980 using 6.06 and NOT a single issue! Everything just flat out works! :)

d3v1ant_0n3
October 29th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Generic ('Northstar' branded) laptop, Toshiba Mobo, Intel 845 chipset. All works fine, both in Dapper and Edgy, K/Ubuntu.

AndyCooll
October 29th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Well this a Toshiba Satellite S2800-200 and I've just upgraded it to Edgy and its working fine, no problems! ;)

It's spec is a Pentium 3 700MHz, 192mb RAM, 6gb HDD using a Belkin PCMCIA card. It ain't fast, but it runs GNOME and KDE apps perfectly ok.

Probably ain't top of your list for what you're looking for ...but you never can tell!!! :p

:cool:

Cyraxzz
October 29th, 2006, 04:57 AM
I own a Aspire 1700 from Acer. Got all drivers for it. Every feature of it is fully functional in Dapper/edgy. Runs perfectly, i havn't encountered a single problem so far.

gvgerman
October 29th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Dell Latitude D600 & everything works w/ Dapper and now w/ Edgy.

I had a minor problem at the start w/ the Broadcom wireless adaptor, but found a very helpful forum msg to install the proprietary drivers.

Other than that, no issues.