PDA

View Full Version : The FULL reason for different Firefox icons

SoloSalsa
October 28th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I've read every thread I could find on the subject. They all note that the Firefox packaged with Ubuntu has been modified. So, what are the modifications? What exactly is different from 'normal' Firefox, and the 'integrated' Firefox?
The only difference I see is edit>preferences (rather than tools>options) and home.

Thanks!

aysiu
October 28th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Actually, that's not even a difference.

The Linux version always has Edit > Preferences, regardless of whether it's from Ubuntu or Mozilla.

Tools > Options is a Windows thing.

But for more on the subject you're asking about, read this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=285526&highlight=firefox+iceweasel).

mahy
October 28th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Tools > Options is a Windows thing.

Tools -> Options (or Preferences) is also a KDE thing ;)

Anyway, i don't get why there's a proper Firefox icon in the menu and also in the Firefox's About screen, but only the globe without a fox in the task list. Any ideas?

aysiu
October 28th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Tools -> Options (or Preferences) is also a KDE thing ;) Not for Firefox.

What you're talking about is Settings > Configure application name.

GStubbs43
October 28th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Anyway, i don't get why there's a proper Firefox icon in the menu and also in the Firefox's About screen, but only the globe without a fox in the task list. Any ideas?

It's a known bug... until it gets fixed, you can do:

sudo cp /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png /usr/share/firefox/chrome/icons/default/default.xpm

mahy
October 28th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Not for Firefox.

What you're talking about is Settings > Configure application name.

Yes, that's exactly what i meant. Names are different, but the actual placement is the same. I didn't mean Firefox in KDE.

mahy
October 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM
sudo cp /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png /usr/share/firefox/chrome/icons/default/default.xpm

Thanks a lot! Now i'm gonna do the same with Thunderbird.

EDIT: Managed! Now i'm using proper Mozilla products. (Previously i thought the icon is hard-coded into the program itself.)