PDA

View Full Version : Do you know how to debug on network programming?

Se7EnNi9E
April 21st, 2005, 03:11 PM
On network(socket) programming, it is very hard to debug the bug.

GDB is useless on network programming.

Do you know a good tip how to debug well?

andvaranaut
April 21st, 2005, 04:17 PM
Maybe using a packet sniffer (ethereal, for instance) would help? I have used ethereal/tcpdump in troubleshooting network problems and they have helped immensely.

However, with these you will only see what your program sends/receives. If the error is on a lower layer (ie. your program is not able to bind to the socket or something like that) you might have to complement them with more traditional debuggers such as gdb.

Best regards

xsdevnet
May 15th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Actually, I find GDB to be very useful when debugging network programs. The biggest help is having two computers where you can run GDB. One for the client and one for the server. Then you can see what is being sent and what is being received.

Thanks,
Steven

odyniec
May 15th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Another tool worth mentioning is netcat (nc), often referred to as the swiss army knife of networking. In fact, the tcpdump+netcat duo is all I ever needed to debug my network applications.

subterrific
May 15th, 2005, 11:28 AM
I mainly use 3 tools when doing network programming.

1) good logging. this includes printf-style debug statements and writing packets to a file. log with time stamps too, the extra effort it takes to write good logging code will save you tons of debugging headaches.

2) tcpdump. this is great for debugging at the networking stack level.

3) gdb. learn it well, it is a powerful tool for any debugging.

LordHunter317
May 15th, 2005, 05:36 PM
It's kinda hard to tell you what tools to use when you won't tell us what's wrong. "It doesn't work" isn't useful.