PDA

View Full Version : Just to give some perspective...

TravisNewman
April 21st, 2005, 01:23 PM
This is no accurate benchmark by any means, but it's worth noting.

Right now, 8AM Eastern Daylight Time, US, There are 245 users on Mozillazine's forums-- a forum for arguably the most famous Open Source project out right now (Firefox) along with others.
There are now 505 users on the Ubuntu forums.

Wow. That's impressive. I don't know how many factors could contribute to this, but I'm quite impressed.

Hold the phone... I just decided to check out some others.
Fedoraforum.org: 982
MandrakeClub: 7
MandrakeUsers, on the other hand: 130
SuseLinuxSupport: 58
I wanted to check linuxforums but it doesn't appear they have an active users function.
gentooforums: 361
linuxquestions: 704

So that's not what I expected-- linuxquestions should have more since it's a catch-all, but I was quite suprised that fedoraforums had more people online.

Again, not that this is any benchmark of who has more active forums, just thought it was interesting to see the activity at an arbitrary moment. total registered users doesn't give an accurate representation because it will be a greater number the longer the forums have existed.

Odinist
April 21st, 2005, 01:53 PM
but I was quite suprised that fedoraforums had more people online.

Well, forums *are* where people go when they have problems.

;-)

poofyhairguy
April 21st, 2005, 07:09 PM
I wish there was something like "posts per hour." That would be a good way to compare forums...

bored2k
April 21st, 2005, 07:25 PM
Fedoraforum.org: 982

Question for anyone who visits FForum: what are their biggest problems? Ours is sound and Xorg mostly, what are theirs?

mrtaber
April 22nd, 2005, 06:04 AM
I visit FedoraForum.org everyday for work (even though I don't need to for my Ubuntu'd home computer now)--it's usually install problems (why won't it recognize my...?); NVidia card problems are big, as are sound problems, "why can't I play MP3's?", and the like. Typical Linux stuff.

Mark :)

BAshworth
April 22nd, 2005, 06:18 AM
That and dual-boot issues. I haven't looked into it too much here, but I didn't notice any threads about Windows XP not booting after installing Ubuntu. Is Fedora the only distro with the CHS issue?

poofyhairguy
April 22nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
Question for anyone who visits FForum: what are their biggest problems? Ours is sound and Xorg mostly, what are theirs?

Getting MP3s to play. (its really easy to solve). 3D drivers.