PDA

View Full Version : MS Visual FoxPro and Ubuntu

Zlatan
October 28th, 2006, 11:19 AM
my wife started to make a program using visual foxpro 9, but she wants to use linux. recently i've tried to install foxpro under wine, but it crashes when trying to create a new form.
what could you suggest to me? should i solve it continuing on wine or i should make a dual-boot system? or maybe more cases?:)

thank you

aktiv
October 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I am currently running XP through VMware in Ubuntu. Visual Studio 2005 works like a charm there, no dual booting needed.

SlCKB0Y
October 29th, 2006, 02:33 AM
ummm. I would suggest not using a horrible program like foxpro

Zlatan
October 31st, 2006, 12:26 PM
what else could we try to use?:) anything similar from linux?

ummm. I would suggest not using a horrible program like foxpro

Zlatan
October 31st, 2006, 12:27 PM
i've tried it, but win2k from VMWare could not install proper nvidia driver for old geforce2. so it stopped there:) maybe any ideas?

I am currently running XP through VMware in Ubuntu. Visual Studio 2005 works like a charm there, no dual booting needed.

Dual Cortex
October 31st, 2006, 05:58 PM

I would suggest you to get her to use Basic.. and use this:
http://www.realbasic.com/products/realbasic/screenshots/linux/

SlCKB0Y
November 1st, 2006, 08:57 AM
i've tried it, but win2k from VMWare could not install proper nvidia driver for old geforce2. so it stopped there:) maybe any ideas?

Do you mean you had problems installing windows in vmware? It should not matter what video card you have because vmware uses its own virtual hardware.

Unless im not following you.

SlCKB0Y
November 1st, 2006, 08:58 AM

haha. Let us know more precisely what she wants to do and we will try and help.

Even if I used windows I wouldnt use foxpro.

Zlatan
November 1st, 2006, 09:41 AM
vmware did not find any video card and the only resolution it could offer was 640 x something. that was awful:) i could not find a solution for this.

Do you mean you had problems installing windows in vmware? It should not matter what video card you have because vmware uses its own virtual hardware.

Unless im not following you.

ajackson
November 1st, 2006, 04:22 PM
Are you using VMWare player or server? With server if you ctrl+alt out to it there is an option under VM to install vmtools (or something like that), this has a better graphics driver than the bog standard one it uses by default.

SlCKB0Y
November 2nd, 2006, 05:05 AM
vmware did not find any video card and the only resolution it could offer was 640 x something. that was awful:) i could not find a solution for this.

Yes, as the person above stated, once windows is all installed, there is a menu option to install vmware tools. This will install their own driver in windows making it more responsive, will allow it to be run fullscreen, and will allow a whole bunch of higher resolutions.

This is the solution to your problem.

Zlatan
November 4th, 2006, 03:50 PM
thank you guys for help. will try when will have some time:)
thank you

Trandum
February 15th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Not that it matters much; more out of curiosity: Why is it that some of you are so opposed to Visual Foxpro? I have no experience with Visual Basic, Very little with C; none with C++; nor any other "Visual" languages that might be out there...

Simian Man
February 15th, 2009, 03:08 PM
This is what you should do with it. (http://www.hackles.org/cgi-bin/archives.pl?request=254)

jimi_hendrix
February 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM
why visual foxpro in the first place...?

Trandum
February 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Well, I already knew you didn't like it. I don't know; I am not doing database programming any more, but if I had to I assume I could still use my 15 years old version 6.0?

Guess we better let it rest; I don't think this is the right place for that debate.

jimi_hendrix
February 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I would suggest you to get her to use Basic.. and use this:
http://www.realbasic.com/products/realbasic/screenshots/linux/

please...not basic! try python, perl, java, or C# or something

nvteighen
February 15th, 2009, 05:47 PM
please...not basic! try python, perl, java, or C# or something
Or "something", so according to you BASIC is such a bad thing that's not even "something"! :D (I agree with you :p)

jimi_hendrix
February 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Or "something", so according to you BASIC is such a bad thing that's not even "something"! :D (I agree with you :p)

basic is the spawn of satan! (jk)

Trandum
February 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
"FoxPro is no longer supported, nobody uses it..."

That's what was said in the email notification I got, but it can no longer be found here...

Facts on the status of VFP:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/bb308952.aspx

v9. will be supported until 2015, but that doesn't mean it will all be over then either...

I note however than nobody yet have said whatis wrong with VFP?

djwisdom
February 17th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Well you could try this link (http://www.harbour-project.org) as an alternative to Foxpro, since you'll be developing under GNU/Linux.

This is not GUI based but it's still worth a shot.

Just my 2 cents.

Zlatan
May 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
NetBeans has won the case, thanks everyone:)

sixonqjz
August 6th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I'm using Visual Foxpro too. and even having problem when installing visual foxpro. I'm very dizzing now...someone who suggest not to use visual foxpro is ********... must we learn another language if we already friendly and faster in this one ? time is money right ? it's better back to Microsoft Window if no solution anymore...