PDA

View Full Version : Wine & Endnote - Open from browser?

Julolidine
October 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM
So, I still use endnote, but more as a reference manager, and not as something to actually plug references into a word doc since I only use TeX. I particularly like Endnote 9's integration with Web of Science and Pubmed, which makes it infinately useful for me.

Heres the dilema - if I go to a random webpage, sometimes they have a link for 'download to citation manager', which I would then like to click 'open file' rather than save as, and have Endnote open up the file. :-k

As it stands now, I open Endnote through the terminal, and it places me in in Wine's file structure, so I only see "C:\program files\" and so on.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining the dilema appropriately, but I can clarify further if anything is in doubt.

machoo02
October 28th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I don't know if what you would like to do is possible, although it might be if you were using a browser that was installed through WINE, so that both the browser and endnote are looking at WINE's directory structure. However, if it were me, I would just take the extra 0.02 seconds to download the reference and open it the normal way.

dolphinsonar
November 20th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Does TeX do the same thing as endnote? Is it in synaptic?

zytsef
November 20th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Don't know about firefox, don't really use it, but I think Opera has the behaviour you're looking for. It's not open source, but since you're using a windows program it doesn't sound like you're worried about keeping your system pure. I'm pretty sure there are Opera packages in the universe repositories.

Tools-->Preferences-->Advanced-->Downloads-->Add
Then put in the file extension, select 'Open with other application' and enter the command you use at the command line to open Endnote.