PDA

View Full Version : Serious Concerns: OpenGL Stolen???

WinterWeaver
October 28th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Hey everyone !!

I have heard some seriously bad things recently, and would like to know what the impact would be on Linux/Ubuntu users, especially those of us playing games in linux.

Apparently Microsoft bought some of the OpenGL licences, with the purpose of keeping OpenGL for themselves.

I'm very concerned about this, because OpenGL is provided by the CPU's. It was initially graphics code from Silicon Graphics, implemented in the Pentium CPU's. Now microsoft owns it?

Will this also have a effect on xgl, and any other OpenGL things?
Do we have to pay (*shrug) to run xgl, or any other Free games on OpenGL?

Could someone shed some light into this please?

thx,

Perfect Storm
October 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Do you have a link?

MedivhX
October 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Looks like just a rumour...

tvoss
October 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM
First of all: OpenGL is nothing more than an API-specification that can be implemented by anyone. Normally, graphics-card vendors do provide their own (hardware)-implementation of the OpenGL-specification.

Furthermore OpenGL has never been implemented in a conventional CPU but nearly every modern GPU does. If OpenGL had been implemented in a CPU there would be no need to buy a graphics-board for 250€+ :-)

In addition Apple would be in a quite difficult position if Microsoft would own the OpenGL-patents / licenses as Mac OS X's Carbon API provides its whole graphics power by implementing a lot of functions using OpenGL.

To my mind, it's just a hoax :)

WinterWeaver
October 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM
OK... I could not find the original entry on slashdot, but a quick google gave me this link:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/developer/0,39020387,2118968,00.htm

Sorry for the late reply, I originally posted this in the wrong forum, and thus it was moved :P ...

Anyway, I'm not too technical, but as I understood a couple of years ago (which now seems to be flawed understanding ^.^ ), was that Silicon Graphics and Intel got together, and created certain codes/instructions to be included in the PII chip. But as Tvoss points out, this may not be the case.

However, if you read the article (following the link) then you will see what I am concerned about.

thankx :)

H.E. Pennypacker
October 30th, 2006, 01:23 AM
That article is from four years ago. Wouldn't we have noticed something if all this was serious?

WinterWeaver
October 30th, 2006, 01:30 AM
](*,)

now I feel silly :P

thread closed I presume ^.^

mips
October 30th, 2006, 01:38 AM
OK... I could not find the original entry on slashdot...

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/07/10/007213.shtml
http://www.opengl.org//about/arb/meeting_notes/notes/meeting_note_2002-06-18.html

Nothing ever heard of it again.

WinterWeaver
October 30th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Thanks ^.^ ...

how the weather in Durbs Bru ?

mips
October 30th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Thanks ^.^ ...

how the weather in Durbs Bru ?

Way to hot and humid. Just had a nice thunderstorm & rain so things are a little cooler.