PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu Enterprise Release ?

rpm
April 21st, 2005, 10:05 AM
Hi all,

here you can find info about an "Enterprise Release" of ubuntu linux:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/releases/document_view

will be this a reality in the future or what ?

I which way this will differ from the "normal" releases ?

bye

rpm

poofyhairguy
April 21st, 2005, 10:46 AM
I which way this will differ from the "normal" releases ?

bye

rpm

I think it means that if you pay for support, you won't be left out to dry in 18 months.

bigzak
April 21st, 2005, 12:29 PM
Here you can find info about an "Enterprise Release" of ubuntu linux:

From the front page of ubuntulinux.org:

"Ubuntu will always be free of charge, and there is no extra fee for the "enterprise edition", we make our very best work available to everyone on the same Free terms."

I presume that the 'enterprise' releases will occur as a normal timed release, but with an intentionally elongated lifespan?

defkewl
April 21st, 2005, 12:56 PM
First someone need to explain what is Enterprise so we could get the same perception about Enterprise :D

TravisNewman
April 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM
First someone need to explain what is Enterprise so we could get the same perception about Enterprise :D
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=enterprise

defkewl
April 21st, 2005, 01:52 PM
Well that's from the dictionary and everyone could just quote from the dict. From my point of view the word enterprise has a very abstract meaning as it changes through times and never has a fixed meaning.

IMHO enterprise is:
a business level that is very complicated, so complicated that you can't even explain it to others :P

Now the problem is, could Ubuntu provide a solution to this? If it could, than we could say that Ubuntu deserve to be an enterprise distro :D

TravisNewman
April 21st, 2005, 02:00 PM
Oh, sorry *L* We have a lot of people whose first language isn't English-- I thought you seriously didn't know what the word meant.

But yes, I do agree with what you're saying there. It is hard to explain-- but it usually means a fairly large business, from what I gather

defkewl
April 21st, 2005, 02:12 PM
I just want to get the same perception about the word enterprise. :D But that's my perception, if we use my perception than we all have the same point of view. Otherwise someone else need to state their perception and brainstorm about it.

Peace ;)

rpm
April 21st, 2005, 03:53 PM
I don't want bother you, but It's stated here:

Releases

Ubuntu will make a new release every six months. In addition, we may make an Enterprise Release every 12 to 24 months, which will receive additional testing.

Enterprise releases

In addition to the regular six-monthly releases, the Ubuntu team may make an Enterprise Release (based on an existing time-based release) that has received additional stabilisation, polish and translation work. These Enterprise Releases will be supported for a longer period than the standard 18 month support of the time based releases. Upgrades will be supported from enteprise release to enterprise release.

this is a bit confusing for me too..

regards

rpm

dataw0lf
April 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM
I'm unsure exactly what the point of the Enterprise version would be. I'm hoping they mean Enterprise as in Server application (basically stripping away Gnome and all that other pointless stuff that's ridiculous to run on any kind of server). Otherwise, this almost sounds like.... well, I'll just let it ride until I get more information and can be a better judge.

rpm
April 21st, 2005, 04:57 PM
okkkkkkk

thx dataw0lf !

rpm

defkewl
April 22nd, 2005, 02:40 AM
.... I'm hoping they mean Enterprise as in Server application (basically stripping away Gnome and all that other pointless stuff that's ridiculous to run on any kind of server). ...

So what's the difference with installing Ubuntu as server at CD boot time? :D

See the meaning of Enterprise itselt are so abstract :P

poofyhairguy
April 22nd, 2005, 02:46 AM
See the meaning of Enterprise itselt are so abstract :P

Which is probably why the word is used. If I had to guess, it was created for managers that refuse to use a surf's version of an OS (as in the same version every desktop user gets). Probably is same thing with a different name and a support contract.

emperor
April 22nd, 2005, 03:09 AM
Most likely they will make a product like RHEL http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/
This release will cost big bucks for support like the Red Hat product. Otherwise Ubuntu is the equivilent of Red Hat's Fedora Core product. Ubuntu is the testing/debugging release. Hey, they have to make some money out of this product!

Of course someone could come along and clone the Ubuntu Enterprise Linux (UEL) product like CentOS has done to RHEL.

TravisNewman
April 22nd, 2005, 03:11 AM
But they've said they won't charge for Enterprise either. So we'll still get it for free, they just charge for the support package, I imagine-- and they probably won't mail free cds either.

bigzak
April 22nd, 2005, 08:08 AM

I was hoping it meant that you could interact with it vocally, use it on Galaxy class starships and, the kicker, have it respond in Majel Barret's voice ;)

ubuntu_demon
April 22nd, 2005, 08:42 AM
I'm unsure exactly what the point of the Enterprise version would be. I'm hoping they mean Enterprise as in Server application (basically stripping away Gnome and all that other pointless stuff that's ridiculous to run on any kind of server). Otherwise, this almost sounds like.... well, I'll just let it ride until I get more information and can be a better judge.

well if they support it for a longer time than 6 months there won't be very much security issues or bugs so it's not that much work to also support gnome. Besides universities and big corporations really would love this IMO.

defkewl
April 22nd, 2005, 08:57 AM
But they've said they won't charge for Enterprise either. So we'll still get it for free, they just charge for the support package, I imagine-- and they probably won't mail free cds either.

RHEL is also free, even CentOS made a clone of it. :D Perhaps canonical is copying RedHat strategy to make big bucks.

TravisNewman
April 22nd, 2005, 12:42 PM
RHEL is free? Since when? It's Open Source, yes, and Free as in Freedom, but if you want it pre-compiled and easily installable, I'm pretty sure you have to pay.

Don't take my word as gospel, I could be way wrong.

emperor
April 22nd, 2005, 01:41 PM
I believe that Red Hat charges for support only. However, the purchase of support is forced. Also, RHEL can be redistributed under another name for free. CentOS 4 is identical to RHEL4, they even use the RHEL repo's.

rpm
April 22nd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Anyway for enterprise acceptance will be essential the longer period support but ubuntu needs to coherent tools for clients management.

In a similiar way RH and Novell already does, will be interesting to see if Canonical can do this.

We are living in interesting times ;)

rpm

TravisNewman
April 22nd, 2005, 10:51 PM
I believe that Red Hat charges for support only. However, the purchase of support is forced. Also, RHEL can be redistributed under another name for free. CentOS 4 is identical to RHEL4, they even use the RHEL repo's.
Yes, but RH also tried to sue CentOS because they didn't remove the word "RedHat" from everything before redistributing. It's a hairy situation with what is/isn't copyrighted or free software. But yes, for the most part, free software, forced purchase of support, free distribution.

KiwiNZ
April 22nd, 2005, 11:51 PM
I thought the Enterprise versions was a special release for Spock

emperor
April 23rd, 2005, 02:25 AM
Yes, but RH also tried to sue CentOS because they didn't remove the word "RedHat" from everything before redistributing.

CentOS has satisfied Red Hat's concerns releated to branding. The two are not friends but are more like realatives if you know what I mean!