PDA

View Full Version : Quick Ubuntu Related Poll For College Class

gnaunited
October 28th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I need roughly 20 people to take the following poll. Please try to be as honest as possible. This will be anonymous when it is turned in. If you have any questions related to the poll please PM me as I want to keep this as clean as possible.

Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes, No)

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Hoary - Edgy)

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (2-3 Sentences)

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? (Yes, No)

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? (Yes, No)

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (Yes, No)

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (Yes, No)

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No)

ratman99uk
October 28th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? Edgy

Why did you choose Ubuntu? I choose ubuntu after testing many other distros. Unbuntu was the only one to successfully detect my Cisco wireless card automatically. Ubuntu was also recommended by a friend.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? Yes

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? Yes

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? Yes

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? No

hould Ubuntu start making there own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? Yes

- Ratman99UK

mark_g
October 28th, 2006, 01:26 AM
I need roughly 20 people to take the following poll. Please try to be as honest as possible. This will be anonymous when it is turned in. If you have any questions related to the poll please PM me as I want to keep this as clean as possible.

Yes

Breezy

The best linux distro out there. Most important to me was that it just works and there's no need to fiddle too much with the settings to get the hardware to work properly.

Yes

Yes, of course.

Yes, if they'd ask a reasonable fee.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (Yes, No)
Yes, not tomorrow, but who knows...

Should Ubuntu start making there own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No)
Yes, although there isn't missing that much in Linux when it comes to software.

jordanmthomas
October 28th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Yes, but I am going to switch to Fedora Core 6 soon.

Warty

It was the first distro that got my hardware set up well.

It depends on what you mean by succeed. If by succeed, you simply mean that the project will hang around and be popular, I think it will be for a while. Will it be the best thing since sliced bread forever? No. Short answer: I think yes, it will succeed.

yes

I would not pay money to use Ubuntu, but I try to help pay by participating in the community and spreading the word a little bit. As for money, there's too many other free alternatives to pay for one.

No

Should Ubuntu start making there own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No)
No

**oh, and before you turn in your poll, make sure to fix that 'there' ;)

DJ Scribblinni
October 28th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? Yes, and right now specifically Fluxbuntu.

What was your first Ubuntu release? Breezy

Why did you choose Ubuntu? Simple to set up, plenty of people here to ask questions for advice.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? Yes, my school already uses it mainstream for some of the workstations, as well as computer labs.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? Yes, as long as it's reasonable.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? Yes

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? No, I think the specific Linux community should contribute.

llamakc
October 28th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Yes, but I am going to switch to Fedora Core 6 soon.

Warty

It was the first distro that got my hardware set up well.

It depends on what you mean by succeed. If by succeed, you simply mean that the project will hang around and be popular, I think it will be for a while. Will it be the best thing since sliced bread forever? No. Short answer: I think yes, it will succeed.

yes

I would not pay money to use Ubuntu, but I try to help pay by participating in the community and spreading the word a little bit. As for money, there's too many other free alternatives to pay for one.

No

No

**oh, and before you turn in your poll, make sure to fix that 'there' ;)

I'm a dweeb sometimes. Nothing to see here.

catlett
October 28th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes)

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Breezy Badger 5.10)

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (2-3 Sentences) Read about it in the Boston Herald. Actually it was a review about Kubuntu and the writer said it was the first linux distro he could use and the install wasn't too complicated.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? Depends on your definition of success. Will it be around for years to come...yes. Mark Shguttleworth did not create Ubuntu as a business enterprise.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? This is a trick question. Now, I would pay because I can do anything with my Ubuntu system but in the beginning Ubuintu was useless to me. I couldn't do basic tasks for a couple of months. Only after much effort and lots of ubuntu forum help could I use Ubuntu as my regular OS.
So my answer is 2 part. Would I have paid for Ubuntu in the beginning....No. Would I pay now...Yes

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? Another badly phrased question. A 1/2 of a point market share...yes. 25% share of the entire operating system market... no

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? NO Ubuntu does not have cash flow. It is free. Where would they get the money to develop applications? Ubuntu now runs on a $10 million dollar trust set up by Shuttleworth. That is for a staff of developers who take Debian and gnu software and apply it to the ubuntu system. You seem to believe that Ubuntu is a capitalist venture and that there goal is to take over the operating system market. This is not correct. It is a philanthropic endeavor by a wealthy Debian (Mark Shuttleworth). He became rich and wanted to put out a free Debian based OS. He isn't looking to became "richer" or to "take out" Bill Gates.

P.S. Feel free to edit my answers to fit your paper. I know you wanted short answers but I tend to ramble. Good luck with your paper.

justaguynpc
October 28th, 2006, 02:12 AM

Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? Hoary

Why did you choose Ubuntu?I use Kubuntu actually, but started with the default Gnome desktops
in prior versions. I was an edgy tester graduate, installed Kubuntu 6.10 using alternate cd.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? Success is not necessarily the "numbers-game" or "popularity-contest." A successful linux distro is the measure of the end users satisfaction level.

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? Sure it is, by providing consumers choice in what the market offers. If Linux is offered, the end user wins in the long run.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? No, open source should be "free-as-beer." Contributions are another topic, however.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? Another "numbers-game." Growth in the market share is ultimately more reasonable.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? Out of nearly 20,000 packages offered to a Ubuntu user, am not sure that list of "missing" software products could be very long.

Cheers!

Would be interested in your project, you have gotten me curious now.

rlozano
October 28th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? dapper/edgy

Why did you choose Ubuntu? large community support. stable

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? yes

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? actually no. cuz its not the original vision when ubuntu was started.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? linux in general have taken some of their share. u just have to slice out the ubuntu users from the linux share of the market.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? if the large community of ubuntu calls for a stable and normally used package, i think they should consider, rather than letting users get from the pool of those free apps, w/c most of the times makes ubuntu crash. and the users will blame not the app, but ubuntu.

az
October 28th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Do you use Ubuntu?
Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release?
Warty

Why did you choose Ubuntu?
It is free-libre software with the non-free bits easily removed. It works well. It is well supported and has a healthy community around it.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run?
Yes (If not Ubuntu, then another OS based on free-libre software - Ubuntu is paving the way for free software in that it is breaking new ground and is making compromises to build inroads to the mainstream more than other distributions.)

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community?
Yes

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system?
Yes (As needed. If I were to deploy any OS in a production environment, I would pay for support)

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple?

Yes (it is as we speak)

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux?
No (The Ubuntu community already does this big time. Not that they have to develop desktop apps - it is more up to upstream developers like the Gnome or KDE people to add to the desktop. For the under-the-hood stuff (do you consider this software products?), it's often the distros themselves that do a lot of development; Ex: Upstart, HAL, security updates, the list goes on and on...)

I added a lot of comments to your Yes/No questions - sorry.

IYY
October 28th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

Why did you choose Ubuntu? I got a CD and my OS of choice at the time, FreeBSD, did not work well on a computer I bought. Ubuntu worked perfectly.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? Yes.

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? Yes.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? No. Not because I don't think it's worth the price, but because I want to use an OS that everybody can get for free.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? Maybe

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? Yes.

compmodder26
October 28th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes)

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Hoary)

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (It was very easy. After having labored with Gentoo, I felt it was time to just have a easy distro to use)

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? (Yes)

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? (Yes)

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (No)

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (No)

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes)

madmetal
October 28th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes)

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Hoary)

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (First distro i use, community was the main reason)

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (Yes)

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (No)

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes)

blendmaster
October 28th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes, No): yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Hoary - Edgy): Dapper

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (2-3 Sentences): I chose Ubuntu because I really wanted to learn something brand new that I had never tried before. I had been introduced to open-source software right before that, and I got really curious as to what Linux was. So, I searched online for Linux, and the first thing that came up was Ubuntu, so here I am today!

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? (Yes, No): Heck yes!

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? (Yes, No): Yes, it's providing laptops with Ubuntu, thus making Linux begin its track to pre-installed support.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (Yes, No): No, It's open-source! (if you mean that I like the OS enough to do that, then yes).

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (Yes, No): Yes, but not in the near future...

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No): What do you mean? The community is always developing software!

Drezliok
October 28th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Yes

4.something hated it.

After trying it I saw hardly anything I liked in the OS, but the strong community brought me back, and when I came back it was awesome.

Oh Yes

I don't know what System76 is.

No, But I'd pay profession servies.

Yes

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No)
No

indigoshift
October 28th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Do you use Ubuntu?
Yes

Breezy

The IT guys at my company were going nuts over it; piqued my curiosity.

Seems to me like it's succeeded already. :)

Yes. I wish there were more companies like System76

In a heartbeat.

I can see that happening, in time.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux?
Yes

raqball
October 28th, 2006, 02:58 AM

Yes

Breezy

I do not use ******* and Linux is a great OS. Ubuntu (Dapper) just flat out works!

Yes

Yes

No! I will and have dontated though

Yes. One user at a time :)

No

Good luck on the project :)

halitech
October 28th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes, No)yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Hoary - Edgy)breezy

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (2-3 Sentences)liked the way the live cd ran and looked and also the help I was able to get from the forums.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? (Yes, No)yes

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? (Yes, No)yes

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (Yes, No)depends on price

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (Yes, No)no

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No)when possible

ReaderRat
October 28th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Yes

Dapper

Because it is a good alternative to Micro$oft, is free, and has a wonderful community behind it.

What do you mean succeed? Poorly phrased question...

So far as I know...

Yes. I do contribute monetarily and timewise.

Ubuntu, No....Linux, yes.

They are....Badly phrased question...

Sorry I cannot give just Yes/No answers....ReaderRat

Brownedwg89
October 28th, 2006, 03:29 AM
What was your first Ubuntu release? Dapper
Why did you choose Ubuntu? All my friends were doing it and I thought it was cool(seriously)
Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? Yes(be successful, not take over windows)
Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? Yes

seijuro
October 28th, 2006, 03:38 AM

1.) yes
2.) Hoary
3.) A friend told me he liked it better than Mandrake.
4.) Yes
5.) ? clueless
6.) No
7.) No
8.) No

Steggy
October 28th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? Yes.

What was your first Ubuntu release? Breezy Badger

Why did you choose Ubuntu? Well, for no real reason, I decided to give Linux a try. I did some searching and chose Debian; however, after I installed it, I had nothing but trouble getting much of anything working after two or three days of trying, so I just gave up on Linux. That is, until I saw a post on Slashdot.org a few days later about Ubuntu; I followed the link to the Ubuntu website--now here I am.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? Oh yes.

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? Yes.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? No (A little explanation here: If every decent operating system in the world suddenly started to cost money, I would certainly pay to use Ubuntu. However, since there are so many free alternatives, if Ubuntu suddenly became commercial, I would move onto another OS--one I wouldn't like as much, perhaps, but one not significantly worse than Ubuntu that'd I'd be willing to pay to make up the difference.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? No. Ubuntu/Linux will never have the "average person" ease of use of either MacOS or Windows. I don't really think that's a particular bad thing. If you ask me, any time someone starts talking about Linux's "market share" they're thinking in the wrong terms. Windows/MacOS don't really compete for the same users as Ubuntu and other similar operating systems.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? This is seems like "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" question. Whether I say yes or no, that implies that there are products missing in Linux. I personally have missed exactly two programs from Windows since I switched: Starcraft and Alpha Centauri. Now, it would be awesome if Canonical would put out a Linux port for both those games, but, no, I don't really think they need to.

learning
October 28th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes, No) Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Hoary - Edgy) Breezy (for a few weeks, then Dapper)

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (2-3 Sentences) I wanted to get away from microsoft and closed formats. I actually started using openoffice to see if I could ditch MS Office (I did). From there, I learned about linux.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? (Yes, No) Yes. I belive the thought that OSes are becoming commoditized is true.

Yes, in that they are spreading pre-configured systems so people can have things work out of the box. I think the prices are a little high though.

Yes

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (Yes, No) Yes. It took me.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No) No. Ubuntu's goal is ths OS. other people/groups/companies can make software.

sharn
October 28th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes, only in VMWare at the moment.)

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Breezy Badger was the first I tried, which didn't dual boot correctly with my old computer.)

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (Great, clean theme. VERY fast, tons of software in the depositories.)

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? (Yes, meaning it will stay popular and well used in the Linux community.)

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? (Yes.)

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (No, I would not. I would rather opt for another free Linux distro. The whole idea to Linux is free, I would find it kinda like betrayal, only not that serious.)

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (At the moment.... No. Windows has bumped up their own reputation to where no-one even considers a Linux solution.)

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (No, I don't believe so. As said in a few posts above, they don't have time nor money to create their own apps. Instead, I think the Linux community (Who can code for it, which I can't) should do so. That gives the dev team more time to perfect their AWESOME Linux Distro. Which in my mind, is the best of Linux.)

HareBall
October 28th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? Dapper

Why did you choose Ubuntu? Tired of ******* and paying for software. Also, tired of things running slower because of things running in the background. Nice to not need antivirus, antispyware, and antiadware.

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? Huh?

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? Maybe

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? Yes, would be nice:)

helmeteye
October 28th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes, No)yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Hoary - Edgy)Dapper but only started a couple weeks ago and now on Edgy

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (2-3 Sentences)I got sick of Microsoft and this just seemed to be the best. I kind of like the idea of setting up software to fit my needs. I love the community support.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? (Yes, No)Yes, because of the community based support.

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? (Yes, No)Sorry, I know I could have looked it up but I am not even sure what system76 is.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (Yes, No)Probably not. If they were charging the entire project would turn into something akin to the windows crap that I abandoned.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (Yes, No)No. People want stuff that is idiot proof. They are too afraid of command line, I believe.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No)No. They would have to start charging and that would cause them to become just like Windows.

compwiz18
October 28th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes, No) Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Hoary - Edgy) Hoary/Breezy

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (2-3 Sentences) Because I knew people that were also using it

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? (Yes, No) Yes

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? (Yes, No) Yes

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (Yes, No) Nope, it is OSS, so I wouldn't pay for it (it is good enough that I would pay, but that isn't the spirit of it)

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (Yes, No) Yes

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No) Well, nothing is missing, some things just need to be simplified

Cynical
October 28th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Do you use Ubuntu?

Yes

Hoary

I became tired of pirating Windows software and really wanted to use free software for a change. Linux is also more stable/secure/efficient than Windows. The friendly community and the aesthetic appeal made me settle on Ubuntu.

Yes (although you might want to be more specific, I'm assuming you mean succeed in becoming a stable/usable free operating system)

No (Beyond promoting the brand and pushing the software I doubt it)

No (major reason to use it is freedom. If Ubuntu didn't exist freely, many other linux distributions would be available to replace it for me. Its out of principle, the software is definitely good enough for me to pay for.)

Yes (Easily, anyone can see the value in free software, and its come to the point that many users who surf the web and email could replace their operating system with Ubuntu without being proficient with computers. Though taking away their market share isn't really the goal.)

No (Whats missing exactly? Game support is unfeasible, and I would rather not have their limited resources being wasted on things like advanced video editors. It would be much better for them to focus on just the operating system, and hope that others will step up and fill in the other pieces)

hscottyh
October 28th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

Most hardware works and the great community. The forums are wonderful which means great support. It being debian derived is also a big factor.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? Yes, I already have. I donated when the forums asked once. I've bought a t-shirt and coffe mug. I would not pay for a EULA, however. Freedom is what it is all about.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? Yes, I beleave it already has a little. I've converted about 10 people (friends and family). I work in IT, this year a lot of my coworkers have made the switch. Very few were running Linux at home last year. I don't think Microsoft will feel it for a few years, but I do see some momentum taking place.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? Yes, depending on what it is. I think their main focus should be the OS.

steven8
October 28th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes)

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Dapper)

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (I have been intrigued by Linux for some time. While talking to a good friend who is an IT supervisor, he suggested it was time for me to give it a go. I did.)

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (Yes)

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (No)

akniss
October 28th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

Why did you choose Ubuntu? My computer was not fast enough to run windows xp, and there were no drivers available for my wireless card in win98.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? No

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? No

TheMono
October 28th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Do you use Ubuntu?

Yes

Breezy

Stability and Configurability

Yes

No

No

Yes. But not soon.

No. Do One thing, and do it well.

seshomaru samma
October 28th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? breezy

Why did you choose Ubuntu? a friend who works with Debian suggested it

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? yes

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? this depends on the situation ,as the moment I would say no ,but in the future...

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? Apple -yes , Microsoft - no.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? yes

Tasu
October 28th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes)

What was your first Ubuntu release? (Warty)

Debian Based.
More up to date than Debian.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (Yes)

steve.horsley
October 28th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

Why did you choose Ubuntu? I tried it after becoming unhappy with the constant nagging for money from Mandrake. Having been a paying "club" member, and stopping paying after being laid off I found I could no longer get security updates to my club kernel. So I tried Ubuntu and it "Just worked (TM)" for me, and I haven't looked back.

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? Who?

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? No. Not after my experience with Mandrake. I would donate, contribute, but not use an OS where users must pay.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? Yes - I hope so.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? No. At least, not until they have the base distro well under control, and I think they're having to work hard at the moment.

slugicide
October 28th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes)

Why did you choose Ubuntu? Bandwagoneer.

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? (Yes)

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (No)

roderikk
October 29th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Do you use Ubuntu?

Yes

Breezy

Because I was fed up with using (and paying for) Windows and I heard Ubuntu was supported by a very large community and was a good step in.

Yes

I think they are doing a good thing, I just wouldn't buy with them because I love to configure myself.

No

Yes, however not very soon. As the user base increases more and more innovation will take place and more and more people will work on improving Ubuntu.

No, other people are good in doing that, let Ubuntu be focused.

gn2
October 29th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes,)

What was your first Ubuntu release? (5.10)

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (Loss of support for existing Windows OS and free of charge)

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? ( No, they're supporting themselves by running a successful niche-marketing exercise)

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (No, not while I can still switch to another free Distro)

Have modified the text above with my answers. Hope that helps.

KingArthur10
October 30th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Yes

Hoary Hedgehog

I read about it on Slashdot and after my Hard Drive went kaput I couldn't find the Windows CDs. Fed up with using a crack, I just decided to use Ubuntu. Haven't turned back since.

Yes, but not necessarily to the extent many hope it will. I've converted several people to Ubuntu, but the average Joe isn't going to have a good time with it unless his son/grandson sets it up for him.

no idea. Don't know anything about System76

Not at the moment. The reason I chose Ubuntu is the pricetag: free. On the other hand, I have contributed funds to various open source projects and I may do so with Ubuntu in the future if I have the money. Part of the Ubuntu philosophy is that information should be free, the OS should be free, the community should be free.

It already has. My wife, my sister-in-law, my brother, me, two of my classmates in physics have all converted to some extent to linux (My wife, me, my bro, and my sis-in-law are all fully linux converted).

It would be advantageous to create products for the platform, but I think a better idea would be to spin off/fund projects produced by independent developers working in conjunction with the Ubuntu team.

az
October 30th, 2006, 07:51 PM
So, gnaunited, now that you have more than 20 answers, can we discuss what the poll is about and what conclusions you have drawn from these results?

Some of the questions are vague; do you wish to elaborate on them?

BLTicklemonster
October 30th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I know, I'm probably like number 457 to respond, but here ya go anyways:

Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? (breezy) HOARY

Why did you choose Ubuntu? I have been wanting an alternative to windows. Reason being, no viruses, cost, stability.

Do you think that it is going to succeed in the long run? There is no doubt in my mind that it will.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? Nah, I'd just bittorrent the hacked version :)~

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? ... you mean it isn't yet?

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? yes

igknighted
October 30th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Do you use Ubuntu? (Yes, )

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (Ubuntu has great hardware detection, is easy to set up, and I love the debian/apt package management system)

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (Yes, but not more than 30-50 dollars... I refuse to pay more than that for software)

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (NO!!! If they find a gap, sponsor a seperate open source project)

boz
November 1st, 2006, 06:40 AM

Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

Why did you choose Ubuntu? Ubuntu is my first attempt at Linux and I found it to be a very easy transition from Windows. I had to do some customization, but the community support is phenomenal. I deleted my Windows partition a few days ago and I'm not looking back.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? Yes

Polygon
November 1st, 2006, 06:56 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

Why did you choose Ubuntu? pissed off at xp for being its buggy self, slowly self destructing until that great time where something so important goes wrong (like not being able to open "my computer" without explorer.exe freezing) goes wrong that you have to reformat. Ive also ehard that ubuntuw as free, fast, stable and much easier to use.

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? yes

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? Im kinda confused, since ubuntu is open source why would i need to pay? Thats the whole point of it, but if somehow i needed to pay for it, i most likey will. so yes.
[/B]
Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? maybe not ubuntu . but linux in general, so i will say yes

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? as long as they are open source and avaiable for anyone else to use/ put in their distros, yes

Skia_42
November 1st, 2006, 07:07 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

What was your first Ubuntu release? (5.10)

Why did you choose Ubuntu? (Boredom/wanted more freedom)

Is System76 supporting Ubuntu and the open source community? (Yes!!!)

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? (No, linux should always be free.)

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, although I can;t think of anything we don't have)

Circus-Killer
November 1st, 2006, 07:07 AM
Yes

Hoary

It wasn't a straight forward change, i jumped a lot back and forth from gentoo to ubuntu. i chose to stick to it because its pretty much the most reliable desktop OS. couldnt be more happier with it. ;)

Yes

more complicated than a yes/no answer. but roughly speaking, its a good thing for companies to sell pc's with preloaded distributions on them. many companies are starting to do it.

No (because that kills the whole purpose of linux, AND ubuntu will always be free)

Yes

No

katgfan
November 1st, 2006, 07:42 AM
Yes

Breezy

I use ubuntu out of interest on the system and im stuck with it.

Hell yeah

Yes

No. That defeats the purpose of Ubuntu and of linux in general.

Yes. Breed more male geeks and it will happen quickly.

No. I think they better focus on the OS itself and is there anything havent been made yet?

henriquemaia
November 1st, 2006, 07:44 AM
Do you use Ubuntu? Yes

Loads of stories on the media. Commitement to OSS/free software.

Would you pay to use Ubuntu as your operating system? not answered

Do you see Ubuntu ever taking away the Market Share of Microsoft and Apple? not answered/do not have a clue

Mimsy
November 1st, 2006, 07:51 AM

Yes.

Dapper Drake.

Because, after lurking for a couple of weeks, it was clear to em that the forum community could help me with any problems I might encounter. And in addition to being capable of helping, they would also be willing to do so, which is even more important.

Ubuntu? Define "succeed". I don't think it'll ever take over a majority of the market, but I definitely think it will stick around in a corner.

I have no personal experience of System76, but my gut instinct is to say they would be more supportive if they lowered their prices.

Absolutely not. If they ever started charging for it, I'd find another free Linux distro.

No.

No. Focus on the OS.

Hope that helps, and that I'm not too late.

/Mimsy

Luffield
November 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM
Do you use Ubuntu?
Yes

First Live CD - Hoary
First installation - Breezy

Knoppix wouldn't boot on my computer. Ubuntu was the second one I tried. I didn't know much about Linux, I think I chose it because I liked what I read about it on Distrowatch.

Yes

I don't know.

I Don't think so, I'll probably install Debian.

Yes

Yes

zek725
June 2nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Yes.

What was before Dapper? That one.

I need a working replacement for my PIII box that's hosting Win98SE that has discontinued support.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Should Ubuntu start making their own software products that seem to be missing in Linux? (Yes, No)Yes.