PDA

View Full Version : IRC Noob Here

DevNull11
October 28th, 2006, 12:19 AM
I'm defiantly a IRC noob. In fact I just heard about it today. How do you get a irc.freenode.net username. Plus How do you setup Gaim and Xchat because I plain to use both.

PriceChild
October 28th, 2006, 12:35 AM
You don't need to register a username... you can just jump right in!

You can password your username later though if you like it and stick with it. I can't remember the commands off-hand, but i'm sure anyone in #ubuntuforums would be happy to help.

John.Michael.Kane
October 28th, 2006, 12:46 AM
http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup

DevNull11
October 28th, 2006, 02:36 AM
How do you just jump right in my gAim sayes it need a Screen Name and a password.

John.Michael.Kane
October 28th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Don't use gaim.

sudo aptitude install xchat

DevNull11
October 28th, 2006, 02:58 AM
I was going to use xchat for my ubuntu what can I use for my windows xp computer?

PriceChild
October 28th, 2006, 03:01 AM
or xchat-gnome

ice60
October 28th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I was going to use xchat for my ubuntu what can I use for my windows xp computer?
you can use this :)
http://www.silverex.org/news/

make sure you use that version, there's a paid version too.

if you decide to setup a username on freenode, make sure you don't use your username as the password. it will automatically make the password for the name you are using.

/msg nickserv register <your-password>

not this

/msg nickserv register <your-nick>

maybe that's obvious, but i have made that mistake a few times ](*,) lol

then when you open xchat find freenode,right when it has just opened, highlight freenode and select edit then put your password where it says -
Nickserv Password

but, maybe don't do that straight away, wait until you are happy using IRC first.

pmj
October 28th, 2006, 03:08 AM
For Gaim, just pick a name. Any name will do, as long as nobody else on Freenode has it. Don't fill in a password at all, it's only needed if your name is registered. Gaim is fine if you don't use IRC often and don't want to be in many channels. A good thing about Gaim is an IRC channel will look like a regular user in your buddy list, and joining the channel is as easy as double-clicking the name of it. But if you need more functionality, you should try a more advanced client.

user1397
October 28th, 2006, 03:57 AM
i just use gaim for irc, i don't need anything more complicated. in gaim, after you have already registered your nick, you should put your password in your irc account, so that you can basically sign on, and your password will be automatically recognized by nickserv

edit: you have to tick "remember password" in your irc account for this to work.

DevNull11
October 28th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks I guss the nicknames I tryed before where being used.

bionnaki
October 28th, 2006, 02:37 PM
for windows, use mirc or xchat for windows

www.mirc.com
http://www.xchat.org/windows/

flajus
November 3rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Please help i'm tryin to install xchat and i get the following error:
/usr/bin# ./xchat
./xchat: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I need this file "libdbus-glib-1.so.2" from where i can get that file? is there any command in terminal that he finds that needed file and install it for me or something like that.

HELP!

OffHand
November 3rd, 2006, 12:17 PM
Please help i'm tryin to install xchat and i get the following error:
/usr/bin# ./xchat
./xchat: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I need this file "libdbus-glib-1.so.2" from where i can get that file? is there any command in terminal that he finds that needed file and install it for me or something like that.

HELP!

Try:

puppy
November 3rd, 2006, 01:20 PM
There's a quicker alternative (and one that won't need another icon on your desktop :rolleyes: ). Why not try Chatzilla? It's firefox's IRC extension :-D

flajus
November 3rd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Try:

sudo aptitude install xchat << it doeasnt work i tried this command in terminal it install and everything looks OK but when i try to run xchat ir displays to me: ./xchat: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and i want to ask is there chatzilla for linux version ?
Please saombody help!:)

ice60
November 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM
hi, you should be able to run it by doing one of these -

browsing though the menus, then clicking from there.

or, Alt-F2 xchat

or, from a terminal

xchat &

ice60
November 3rd, 2006, 07:08 PM
i can't delete this post. it's a mistake anyway!!

KaroSHi
November 3rd, 2006, 09:50 PM
http://www.karoshi.me.uk/irc is something i wrote a while back for a irc network i support, just change accessirc to freenode and you are in :) hope its of some use!

OffHand
November 3rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
sudo aptitude install xchat << it doeasnt work i tried this command in terminal it install and everything looks OK but when i try to run xchat ir displays to me: ./xchat: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and i want to ask is there chatzilla for linux version ?
Please saombody help!:)

sudo aptitude install libdbus-glib-1-2

Also you can just type xchat instead of ./chat

.t.
November 3rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
xchat-gnome

Plus, when I try to use IRC it just hates me help me plz im dieing here help help help.

No, seriously:
Connecting to chat.freenode.net (213.92.8.4) port 6667..
Connected. Now logging in..
*** Looking up your hostname...
*** Found your hostname, welcome back
*** Checking ident
*** No identd (auth) response
.t. already in use. Retrying with .t._..
.t._ already in use. Retrying with .t.__..
Nickname already in use. Use /NICK to try another.
JOIN :Register first.

Every time, I have to register. I don't want to. I have. What more do you want!?

Edit: Fixed. Used /nick. Who else is using my nick? I've used it fine before!