PDA

View Full Version : Windows top ten!

Engnome
October 27th, 2006, 11:26 PM
XP will be 5 years old, this guy celebrates this by writing a "Top 10 Reasons Why I Love You" Sure XP has it's bright sides but the ones he mentions arent very good ones.
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/happy-birthday-windows-xp-top-10-reasons-why-i-love-you-210675.php

1 The right mouse button.

Comment: eh wth?

2 Application support.

Comment: that many programs are made for a windows is not a windows feature

3 Gaming

Comment: The same as above applies here to.

4 Customizability

Sure prepackaged computers with Windows XP are great (and cheap, see next bullet-point). But what if you want to build your own? Windows makes it easy as hell. Feel like upgrading components? Still easy. Half the time XP already has the drivers. Boy, this new video card sure is swell! And don't even get me started on the awesome case mods that always accompany XP-powered machines.

Comment: Upgrading components? Sure just have to take it slowly or you'll have to contact MS to activate Windows again. Sure every device out there has windows support but out of the box? not as much as Linux anyway.

5 Machine Competition

There are hundreds of companies out there manufacturing machines to run XP. This drives the prices of machines down. Want a complete desktop unit for $300? It's possible with XP.

Comment: XP has nothing to do with this, want the cheapest possible computer? buy one without XP for $70 less.

6 Speed

The competition may think they are cool with the animated enlarging icons, but that **** eats the ram, hardcore. XP uses less ram and runs a lot faster.

Comment: Obviously he hasn't tried IceWm or any other light window manager on Arch Linux, damn that is fast! (havent tried OS X so I can't compare with, anyone care to add an opinion about this?)

7 New Technology

What's that? Core 2 Duo? 64-bit processing? SLI graphics? Oh, XP has been doing that for ages now.

Comment: Eh, MS wasn't exactly speedy with their X64 release. I remeber waiting and waiting and waiting for it.

8 Versions

Five years later, it is still Windows XP. Sure, they have had some service packs, but that is a hell of a lot better than buying a new update every year named after a silly animal.

Comment: This is a good thing? Using a 5 year old OS? MS themselfs admits it was a mistake to try and implement so many new things in vista and that they would rather have realesed it earlier with fewer new features. However I can understand his complaint about having to buy a new OS X more often, it does cost more money. (but you don't have to buy one name breezy, drake or eft ^^)

Is this guy for real? It feel like he's joking but still...

skymt
October 27th, 2006, 11:53 PM
He's comparing Windows to the Mac, not to Linux.

GStubbs43
October 27th, 2006, 11:55 PM
He is saying Windows is better than OS X, not Linux.

Edit: I guess skymt said the same thing. ;) I was a bit slow on typing...

ReaderRat
October 27th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Linux Is Not ******* (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm)

kuja
October 28th, 2006, 12:41 AM
:D I haven't had a laugh this good in days!

djsroknrol
October 28th, 2006, 12:49 AM
The bottom line is and has always been...for each his/her own....What works for one doesn't always work for another....

Engnome
October 28th, 2006, 12:56 AM
He's comparing Windows to the Mac, not to Linux.

Yeah I know. I was just a little surprised that those were the top ten things he likes about XP. I think I could pick out a few better, but I guess that would be from my point of view, his is certainly very different.

spockrock
October 28th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I dont get the blurb on piracy.....is xp fueling piracy a good thing accourding to the author, thats a first.

indigoshift
October 28th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Well, I'm glad he's so happy with XP. It's good to be proud of your OS, and very good that you can find so many things you like about it. Granted, this puts him in the minority of XP users (by my experiences in tech support/IT), but hey...he has a great relationship with his machine, and that's good. I'd give my left...arm to have the users who call me every day be this happy with XP.

Then again, eventually, he'll have to upgrade to Vista, and all those "the graphics don't use as much RAM!" comments will come back to haunt him--as will a bunch of other comments in his article. ;)

RAV TUX
October 29th, 2006, 12:46 AM
moving to the windows forum with a 2 hour redirect

3rdalbum
October 29th, 2006, 09:35 AM
This is a funny article, even if it's comparing XP to OS X.

How else can you quickly steal images from the internet without the right mouse button?

Control-click. Or use a two-button mouse on the Mac.

Where would we be as a society without Solitaire, Freecell and Minesweeper. And don't forget Pinball.

The less said about this one, the better...

Core 2 Duo? 64-bit processing? SLI graphics? Oh, XP has been doing that for ages now.

lol, this one really makes me laugh. With OS X, you don't need to buy a more expensive edition of the operating system just to take advantage of your hardware. OS X has been 64-bitting since the G5s, and even Mac OS 7.5 had multiprocessing support (this was back in 1997!).

Five years later, it is still Windows XP.

And how long does he think OS X has been around? (public betas since 2000, too)

XP helped kick start a generation of kids that do not pay for software with the help of P2P programs like BitTorrent, as of late.

Rapster. Greatest Napster/OpenNap client ever. Only for Mac OS 9. Not to mention the old days of pirating individual songs by transporting them around on 44 megabyte Syquest cartridges.