PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL documentation

tpg
October 27th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know how can you get man pages (or info pages) for the opengl, glu and glx functions, as they are not included after installing the manpages-dev package. Thanks in advance.

hod139
November 22nd, 2006, 03:49 AM
apt-cache search opengl | grep doc

one hit returned was:
mesa-common-dev - Developer documentation for Mesa

slavik
November 22nd, 2006, 06:47 AM
look around for a version of the 'red book' online.

amo-ej1
November 22nd, 2006, 01:43 PM
throwing "opengl red book" in google gives you online versions of the opengl tutorial, not that these versions are rather outdated and cover older versions over opengl (typically 1.2, or 1.4) while current releases are 2.1 and higher.

The 'blue book' is a printed version of the opengl manpages, these are simalar to the ones found in the mesa package.

My personal favorite is the green book ;-) which handles opengl programming under (old school) linux. It's rather dated and handles X11 programming and doesn't mention qt/sdl/and other recent version.

tpg
November 22nd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty sure the mesa-common-dev package doesn't have the man pages. What I was really looking for, rather than a tutorial, was reference material (when all I need is function arguments etc.), and something that is easily and quickly searched (like man pages, or info pages).

The blue book is useful, although it is rather outdated (I can only find it for OpenGL 1.0 online), and I'd rather not have to buy a book!

slavik
November 23rd, 2006, 08:43 PM
throwing "opengl red book" in google gives you online versions of the opengl tutorial, not that these versions are rather outdated and cover older versions over opengl (typically 1.2, or 1.4) while current releases are 2.1 and higher.

The 'blue book' is a printed version of the opengl manpages, these are simalar to the ones found in the mesa package.

My personal favorite is the green book ;-) which handles opengl programming under (old school) linux. It's rather dated and handles X11 programming and doesn't mention qt/sdl/and other recent version.
Where did you find 2.1? I thought OpenGL 2.0 was the latest revision ...

tpg
November 23rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
You can see the specification for OpenGL 2.1 here:

http://www.opengl.org/documentation/specs/version2.1/glspec21.pdf

amo-ej1
November 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
opengl.org mentions 2.1 release ... i knew they were in the 2.x series alreayd and peeking at opengl.org dropped my eye on 2.1 ...