PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if anyone has the same issue with Edgy Desktop CD

prizrak
October 27th, 2006, 08:33 PM
So I decided to let Ubuntu try to work on my tablet again and dual boot. BT'ed me the live cd and burned it, pop it into the comp (Windows still on) so that on reboot I can try installing it. I get a nice pretty Ubuntu splash that says "Starting browser please wait" and then it hung there for like 5 minutes until I plain turned the computer off (Task Manager wouldn't come up).

Now I'm wondering if the CD is screwed or if it's something on my end. I would think that the image is fine since BT does integrity checking. I did burn more than one CD, second one being at slow speed and still didn't work.

Anyone else got the same problem?

Limulus
October 27th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I assume you mean the "desktop" (aka Live) CD; the interesting thing that happens when you put it in when Windows is that there are actually also Windows programs on the disk (Firefox, etc.) and the program that locked up was the interface program, K-Meleon (its actually a browser; its what wouldn't come up).

What version of Windows are you running? I've had problems vaguely similar to yours if I try to run it in Windows 98.

Anyway, to solve your problem, wait until Windows is shutting down to put the disk in or put it in quickly when the computer is powering on.

prizrak
October 28th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I got XP, yeah I figured the install should be fine was just wondering if I should grab another image. Well tomorrow its Edgy time :)

Bezmotivnik
October 28th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Now I'm wondering if the CD is screwed or if it's something on my end.
Did you do an MD5SUMS check of the .iso file you downloaded?

I've had bad ones before.

Limulus
October 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Did you do an MD5SUMS check of the .iso file you downloaded? I've had bad ones before.

He can also check the CD after booting from it:
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/751_or/1.png
by selecting "Check CD for defects"

nbound
October 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I usually use the text-mode install on the alternate cd... it always works no matter what PC you throw at it :D

John T. Monkey
October 28th, 2006, 04:42 PM
The first time I booted the live CD, I got an error message flsh up saying Theme's weren't working, but it worked other wise fine until the installer froze up when I was picking my time zone.

So I restarted the computer, andgot a message saying x server wasn't working.

Tried again and the theme's were working again, but the installer worked fine, except for the fact it took 1 hpir and 10 minutes to install. (Dapper took about 20 minutes...)

Once I booted into my installed Edgy, everything was/still is absolutely fine... ah well...

prizrak
October 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Did you do an MD5SUMS check of the .iso file you downloaded?

I've had bad ones before.

I used BT it does integrity checking during the DL :)

Bezmotivnik
October 30th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I used BT it does integrity checking during the DL :)
I have come up with bad .iso files from it, regardless. How? I don't know. I always do an integrity check with md5sums.

The internal check in the menu is great, too -- just in case you did a defective burn of a good .iso.

prizrak
October 30th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Yeah it did turn out to be a bad .iso I grabbed and burned another one and it worked just fine. Weird....