PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with the upgrade

Cyraxzz
October 27th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Note: this has nothing to do with Edgy.

The average speed is slow, it has disconnected on several occasions, i keep geting the Service Unavailable error with "dist-upgrade". The
gksu "update-manager -c" did not achieve it's purpose, in the middle of the installation it stated that it had network problems, i tried it 4 times i always got the same error. And it has been upgrading for about 13 hours now, and yea i got a high speed connection(5mb/s)

P_Badger
October 27th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I'm guessing the next few days are going to be pretty miserable download-wise, as a lot of folks are grabbing right now.

PriceChild
October 27th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah just be patient... There are 3000 users online on this forum alone... imagine how many more people don't know about the forums/decide not to use them and are downloading off the ubuntu servers.

Just be patient, maybe try another mirror, maybe try later.

Your best bet would be to grab an alternate install cd off a torrent (very fast) and use that together with the net to upgrade with minimum downloadage.

Brunellus
October 27th, 2006, 08:33 PM
if there isn't a compelling reason to upgrade...well, you can wait a bit for the load on the servers to ease up.

Reshin
October 27th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Stated many times "if it ain't broken, dont't upgrade". good advice

skymt
October 27th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I have better advice: upgrade a week before release. You get the final product, but beat the rush on the download servers. I guess it's too late to do that this time around, but keep it in mind for Feisty.

PriceChild
October 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I have better advice: upgrade a week before release. You get the final product, but beat the rush on the download servers. I guess it's too late to do that this time around, but keep it in mind for Feisty.Or over 2 months before in my case ;)