Brunellus
April 21st, 2005, 01:22 AM
I'm looking out my window at a thunder storm blizzard
that a blizzard with thunder and lightening
thats right... lots of snow and lightening
you can't see the lightening because the snow gets in the way,
but you hear it, and you know you must be in Wyoming

I hope everyone else is enjoying nice spring time weather
It's a balmy night in Northern Virginia. the window's open, and I'm listening to the Nationals game on the radio. I could almost pretend it' summer!

kanem
April 21st, 2005, 01:35 AM
Snow and lightning. Cool. I've seen this maybe 3 times in my life.

I was about to ask if anyone knew why this is so rare, but I decided to not be so lazy and look it up myself.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/18/messages/349.html
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/students/scienceqa/archive/990118b.html

benplaut
April 21st, 2005, 05:49 AM
i'm so glad Summer is back...

oh, wait. It's always here :roll:

TravisNewman
April 21st, 2005, 06:22 AM
benplaut, where you from?
Edit: nevermind-- i'm an idiot. It says it below your avatar.

It's pretty balmy here in SW VA. I love it.

NeoChaosX
April 21st, 2005, 06:26 AM
I love living in a city with 300+ days of sunshine. 8-)

skoal
April 22nd, 2005, 01:11 AM
Snow and lightning at the same time? Intriguing. I've never received that gift from nature.

Down here in Texas we get pretty ferocious lightning storms. The best shows are when they crackle and dance sideways across the midnight sky. An occasional deep resounding "boom" echoes off in the distance as one touches down. My favorite weather season here in "Tornado Alley" is the springtime thunderstorms. As the low drawl from the city horns fade in and out, I like to step outside on the front porch with hands on waist and eyes locked in fascination. I'm absorbed in reverance as three or four twisters chew up farmland just over the horizon. The cool wind in the dark blue sky wraps around your body, blanketing you in a surreal peace while lightning crashes down around you. Floating ions sooth your skin and embrace you in a warm tingle. It's a strange phenomenon of nature. I've heard similiar testimonials from people leaning over guard rails while admiring the raw captivating power of Niagara Falls. I find myself lost in contemplation during those peaceful moments out on the porch, drawing poetic parallels to life itself through nature.

TravisNewman
April 22nd, 2005, 02:18 AM
The best storm I ever saw was on the way to Boston-- we couldn't leave SW VA until about 5, unfortunately. By the time we got to Washington DC it was about 10:30PM, and the sky was alive. Rain was coming down harder than I've ever seen it. it was one of those storms where if you were out in it for 1 second you'd look like you'd been in it for an hour. The sky was on fire that night. the lights from DC made the sky glow red-- the lightning was almost constant, so I could have easily turned off my headlights and seen exactly where I was going. Most lightening is one distinct line with a few cappilaries coming off of it-- this was like spiderwebs there was so much of it. You couldn't distinguish one strike from another, and the thunder was a constant grumble. Fire trucks went by about once every 2 minutes-- I imagine the storm was causing a lot of fires, but I don't understand how the rain wasn't immediately putting them out. As we got into the heart of DC, some of the roads are bad, and kinda feel segmented, so you're bouncing up and down a lot. Every time we'd bounce down we'd feel a little bit of hydroplaning. That storm was freakin' awesome, and every storm since, and I imagine every storm I'll ever see, pales in comparison to that night.

eldrich_rebello
April 22nd, 2005, 01:21 PM
man what i would do to see some snow now.it's sooo hot here,near the equator.even the presence of the sea is of no help.even a shower would be nice right now.temp is in the low 40's.

Buffalo Soldier
April 22nd, 2005, 02:15 PM
not only it's nearly reaching 40's here, but the humidity is also very high... so it makes you feel as if its hotter than that.

hope the rainy season will come soon.

XDevHald
April 22nd, 2005, 02:39 PM
The wheather here in Florida is constantly changing, cold, hot, raining, and it's odd because it's never done this before "At All" my but it's great to enjoy all the cycles of different types of wheather conditions in one week ;) I would say it would rain one day, cold the next and hot/windy the other day, so as you can see it's not sitting at a great cycle :)

tommyr
April 27th, 2005, 01:21 AM
We've had that a number of times over the years and I'm only about 250 feet above sea level. They call it "Thundersnow" here in the N.E.

We had it once this winter.

Tom

wondering_jew
April 27th, 2005, 08:24 AM
yeah but have you ever had it in mid -april :p... and on that note there were a few snow flakes in the air today... its almost may, schools out next week, things are not boding well for the spring...

tommyr
April 27th, 2005, 11:31 AM
yeah but have you ever had it in mid -april :p... and on that note there were a few snow flakes in the air today... its almost may, schools out next week, things are not boding well for the spring...

Spring? What's spring?! Seems we only have summer and winter anymore....

Tom

wondering_jew
June 4th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Update June 4th 3:21 am 33*F (1*C) and snowing... oh well

jeremy
June 4th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Here in Spain (Mallorca), it is very hot and humid, but where my brother lives, on the equator at 3000 metres in Kenya, it is much cooler.

ubuntu_demon
June 4th, 2005, 02:13 PM
The wheather here in Florida is constantly changing, cold, hot, raining, and it's odd because it's never done this before "At All" my but it's great to enjoy all the cycles of different types of wheather conditions in one week ;) I would say it would rain one day, cold the next and hot/windy the other day, so as you can see it's not sitting at a great cycle :)
in holland the weather changes continuously. It is rare to have roughly the same weather for more than a couple of days.Snow is kinda rare ... only happens a couple of days in each year.

GTKpower
June 4th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I'm reading this thread, and I see Ubuntu users from all parts of the world, getting together in a single place, to chat about the weather . . . all brought together by this wonderful OS.

The future looks bright for Ubuntu, and Linux, I must say!

(I'm in Toronto.)

bored2k
June 4th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Dominican Republic:
HOT
http://img64.echo.cx/img64/3948/hot3ux.th.png (http://img64.echo.cx/my.php?image=hot3ux.png)

akniss
December 1st, 2005, 04:16 PM
I love living in a city with 300+ days of sunshine. 8-)

Actually, the post that started it all comes from a place that also gets 300+ days of sunshine... it just doesn't seem to warm us up at all... mostly just glares off the snow and hurts our eyes... and gives us wierd sunburns around our sunglasses...

super
December 1st, 2005, 05:35 PM
all you guys living in warm climates are making me obscenely jealous! :razz:

winter has reached the north western shores of lake ontario (toronto) and it is cold. it is about 2 degrees celsius today. and we had snow flurries yesterday. last week i had my first winter accident. :( (i almost went over a bridge)

the weather is almost enough to make me pack up and head back home to jamaica.

i don't know which is easier to bear, ridiculously cold weather here or extreme violence back home.

Brunellus
December 1st, 2005, 05:48 PM
2 C. wow. Looks like Virginia is as cold as Ontario...

Iandefor
December 1st, 2005, 05:54 PM
If only I was enjoying some springtime weather here... the street is practically
frozen and I still need a blanket to keep warm even with the heater going.
Even though I prefer Winter to all other seasons, it's ridiculous how poorly my house heats... and the heater just turned off for some reason...:mad:

jyank
December 1st, 2005, 06:01 PM
It's around 37F (almost 3 C) here today, not too bad, I enjoy it when it gets colder

Brunellus
December 1st, 2005, 06:12 PM
It's around 37F (almost 3 C) here today, not too bad, I enjoy it when it gets colder
Eh. I like spring in Virginia, and autumn, and even summer (it isn't all that hot here, considering that I'm from the Philippines, where it gets hotter). But Virginia winters can be yucky.

Up here in NoVA, it means it gets cold, but never quite cold enough to snow properly....so instead we get freezing rain (ice), sleet, and wet, slushy snow. Plus drivers who are too dumb to realize that, yes, weather DOES affect how your car handles.

But cold is a matter of perspective. When I was in England, I remember thinking 4C was really cold--but then I was in Cambridge, and we had a stiff breeze across the fens which added to the damp chill.

Dr. Nick
December 1st, 2005, 06:12 PM
The joys of Texas 53F or 12C and its not even noon yet :)
Plus as mentioned a few post(months :)) ago we get some cool thunderstorms here

jyank
December 1st, 2005, 06:20 PM
Eh. I like spring in Virginia, and autumn, and even summer (it isn't all that hot here, considering that I'm from the Philippines, where it gets hotter). But Virginia winters can be yucky.

Up here in NoVA, it means it gets cold, but never quite cold enough to snow properly....so instead we get freezing rain (ice), sleet, and wet, slushy snow. Plus drivers who are too dumb to realize that, yes, weather DOES affect how your car handles.

But cold is a matter of perspective. When I was in England, I remember thinking 4C was really cold--but then I was in Cambridge, and we had a stiff breeze across the fens which added to the damp chill.

Pretty much the same down here, on top of the fact that VDOT isn't to great at cleaning up the snow when it actually snows so even a few inches is crappy because the roads haven't even been touched

graabein
December 1st, 2005, 07:50 PM
Nice to read everyones weather report (Now I know I'm getting old! 30 1/2 yrs btw :D) and it got me thinking -- we should have a thread for neighbourhood photos! Something like the desktop of the month thread where everyone can post recent pictures from their part of the world. Does this sound like a good idea?

Brunellus
December 1st, 2005, 07:53 PM
Nice to read everyones weather report (Now I know I'm getting old! 30 1/2 yrs btw :D) and it got me thinking -- we should have a thread for neighbourhood photos! Something like the desktop of the month thread where everyone can post recent pictures from their part of the world. Does this sound like a good idea?
I second this. this would be very cool. Extra coolness bonus points if you can somehow relate your photo to ubuntu.

Dr. Nick
December 1st, 2005, 07:54 PM

sounds cool, Nice for those living in tropical or natural areas :) which isnt me. I look out my windows and just see more houses. Look up and all you see is pine trees ..ew