PDA

View Full Version : hmm howcome edgy's firefox icon is the actual one, not the little world thingie?

user1397
October 27th, 2006, 04:19 AM
i thought that they were going to use a different name, different logo and everything, but in edgy, the real firefox logo is used by default. what's up with that?

qamelian
October 27th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Read here for the answer: http://cbeard.typepad.com/mozilla/2006/10/mozilla_and_ubu.html

mushroom
October 27th, 2006, 04:30 AM
They're complying with Mozilla's wishes as far as I know, which is cool. Sometimes practicality needs to take precedence over philosophy, at least with something this trifling. Now if Ubuntu would at least provide the option to install proprietary codecs and such with full warning of why they're not included by default (a multiverse metapackage that downloads the stuff from the web would satisfy me), it would make everything that much simpler. Not that that has anything to do with the question, I'm just thinking aloud...

IYY
October 27th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Seems to me that the Firefox guys just got a bit scared. They know that Ubuntu, unlike Debian, is the distro that new users flock to, and they don't want to lose brand recognition.

mushroom
October 27th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Nah, Mozilla just doesn't want their brand on Firefox builds incorporating unofficial patches and Debian wasn't willing to do that, but Ubuntu is, apparently. This really shouldn't be grounds to make Mozilla out to be bad guys; Firefox is possibly the most important piece of software in the FLOSS movement, and it needs to be avidly protected for the time being.

Polygon
October 27th, 2006, 06:34 AM
i guess we talked to mozill and ubuntu/mozilla came to an agreement

i would still like to see iceweasel as an package in the repos though, i find it to be much faster then firefox (well.. at least ff 1.7.0.7, version 2 is pretty fast now)

Wolki
October 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Is there an easy way to remove the firefox icon completely from the system, without breaking anything?

I don't really want to switch to debian over this, as I've grown used to Ubuntu and its speedy inclusion of new GNOME.

user1397
October 27th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Is there an easy way to remove the firefox icon completely from the system, without breaking anything?

I don't really want to switch to debian over this, as I've grown used to Ubuntu and its speedy inclusion of new GNOME.yea just press ALT+F2, and then type gksudo nautilus. then navigate to /usr/share/pixmaps/ and try to find the mozilla one. you can delete it if you want, and then you can choose the more familiar default icon, or whatever you want.

MedivhX
October 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM
It's better that way. I like the Firefox logo, not some ugly-drewn globe...

user1397
October 27th, 2006, 09:12 PM
It's better that way. I like the Firefox logo, not some ugly-drewn globe...o yea me too, i was just wondering cause i originally thought that iceweasel was going to be used in 6.10, i didn't keep up too much with it as u can see.

MedivhX
October 27th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I really don't like the whole Debian's idea about IceWeasel and IceDove... It's a kind of theft...

shining
October 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Nah, Mozilla just doesn't want their brand on Firefox builds incorporating unofficial patches and Debian wasn't willing to do that, but Ubuntu is, apparently. This really shouldn't be grounds to make Mozilla out to be bad guys; Firefox is possibly the most important piece of software in the FLOSS movement, and it needs to be avidly protected for the time being.

Every comments I saw trying to defend mozilla always made it much worse. It's apparently still the case.

I originally had nothing agaisnt ubuntu getting an agreement with mozilla, but all these sad comments from users who apparently don't know anything about the issue just makes me regret they did.

user1397
October 27th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I really don't like the whole Debian's idea about IceWeasel and IceDove... It's a kind of theft...hmmm...IMO it isn't really a kind of theft, since the source code's available, is more like a fork made out of spite for mozilla.but i think it was a bad decision from debian, firefox is one of the most important and basic new user program need for a distro, IMO

Wolki
October 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM
yea just press ALT+F2, and then type gksudo nautilus. then navigate to /usr/share/pixmaps/ and try to find the mozilla one. you can delete it if you want, and then you can choose the more familiar default icon, or whatever you want.

That's not enough, the icon is also in some other places. Too busy to figure it out right now, might have a look later.

user1397
October 27th, 2006, 09:44 PM
That's not enough, the icon is also in some other places. Too busy to figure it out right now, might have a look later.
well when you have time, i guess you could go to places > search, and search for all instances of the firefox logo, and one by one delete them inside a root nautilus. (or with the terminal, whatever)

Wolki
October 27th, 2006, 09:47 PM
well when you have time, i guess you could go to places > search, and search for all instances of the firefox logo, and one by one delete them inside a root nautilus. (or with the terminal, whatever)

That's why I was asking whether there is an easy way :)

Thanks for the help though.

user1397
October 27th, 2006, 09:54 PM
That's why I was asking whether there is an easy way :)

Thanks for the help though.ah, good point. :-k

jss
October 27th, 2006, 11:21 PM
How can I change the globe icon in workspaces to the firefox icon?

user1397
October 27th, 2006, 11:38 PM
no idea, but i think that it's not possible. anyone else care to opinionate?

GStubbs43
October 27th, 2006, 11:44 PM

In Edgy?

sudo cp /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png /usr/share/firefox/chrome/icons/default/default.xpm

I believe this works, It changes the menu icon (In the upper right corner of the window) to the Fx icon, which changes the icon in the workspace switcher. It worked for me. :D

warlorddagaz
October 27th, 2006, 11:46 PM
In Edgy?

sudo cp /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png /usr/share/firefox/chrome/icons/default/default.xpm I believe this works, It changes the menu icon (In the upper right corner of the window) to the Fx icon, which changes the icon in the workspace switcher. It worked for me. :D

When I did it, I right clicked the icon, went to properties, and did it from there (there's a button to do it).

jss
October 27th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks GStubbs43! You're method worked perfectly.

GStubbs43
October 27th, 2006, 11:53 PM
When I did it, I right clicked the icon, went to properties, and did it from there (there's a button to do it).
What I said, changes the actual icon on the Firefox window not the Alacarte Menu icon. I believe that is the icon the workspace switcher uses.

Thanks GStubbs43! You're method worked perfectly.
No problem, glad I could help!

user1397
October 28th, 2006, 12:14 AM
In Edgy?

sudo cp /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png /usr/share/firefox/chrome/icons/default/default.xpm I believe this works, It changes the menu icon (In the upper right corner of the window) to the Fx icon, which changes the icon in the workspace switcher. It worked for me. :D
man, was i wrong! ;)