PDA

View Full Version : Screensaver-------?

Martin1
October 26th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Why the hell is it so difficult for a layperson to configure the screensavers I am lucky in having a good mentor to steer me through Linux. The gnome screensaver panel has no preferences or settings and the xscreensaver panel has no access through the preferences menu. Although all of these things work I would have needed a crystal ball to find them on my own.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 26th, 2006, 11:50 PM
The saddest part: It used to be easier.

I believe there is a package called xscreensaver or some such, which used to be used by default in Gnome and is, in inumerable peoples' opinions, better.

Brunellus
October 26th, 2006, 11:54 PM
The saddest part: It used to be easier.

I believe there is a package called xscreensaver or some such, which used to be used by default in Gnome and is, in inumerable peoples' opinions, better.
It is, however, abandoned by its principal developer/maintainer.

DoctorMO
October 27th, 2006, 12:12 AM
We should repackage xscreensaver under gnome-screensaver instead of using some do-lally way of executing those screen savers.

It should be: A list of settings (glide?), a program to run, name, author etc all stored in a nice config file which you can just double click to add.

jpeddicord
October 27th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Gnome-screensaver had configuration options removed, as a GNOME developer said that a screensaver should not have to be configured to work. In a way, I kind of agree. I want to click on a random screensaver, and I want it to show up when I'm not using my computer. I could care less whether or not I can configure it.

There are some exceptions that I think should have configuration, for example, the Scrolling Text and Pictures screensavers.